Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

It's basically whether you favour quality of work or volume and being the aggressor, it was a subjective fight, Cindy was very game but her opponent was much longer and was able to keep her at bay and land some flashy counters on Ngamba coming in which sways the judges.
The way they portrayed it on 5 live was that the refugee girl was the aggressor in all 3 rounds and the other girl was passive after first round. Not sure about the boxing judging tbh

This goes back to one of the reasons I have never really been that interested in basketball (in the same way as I don’t care for boxing or figure skating): the officials have an outsized influence on the outcome compared to many other sports due to the extreme subjectivity and leeway in making calls and the relative impact of each call on the game due to the number of players, shear count of interactions, and the structure of play.

It has always appeared to me to be one of this easiest sports to fix via officiating (and it be very difficult to detect), if one wanted to do so.

Ah, now why on this earth would they want to fix it so that France, the host nation, meets the U.S.A., the world's best basketball nation, in a final in the Paris Olympics?
I'm stumped. Is this stuff being televised, by the way?

Ah, now why on this earth would they want to fix it so that France, the host nation, meets the U.S.A., the world's best basketball nation, in a final in the Paris Olympics?
I can’t think of a single reason why they would want to do that!

To be fair - France is probably the 2nd most talented team right now. Almost their entire team has played/currently plays in the NBA, and they've had back-to-back #1 picks in the draft.

Always wonder how the BBC get him for every major championship. You would have thought a major US network would love to have him on board for the Olympics.
I would imagine it's the combination of money offered, he's friends with the other people on the panel and I think he understands how much Athletics is loved in this country. He always references how much the fans in the UK show up for Athletics events. That's one area where we beat America, they rarely sell out stadiums for diamond league events.

To be fair - France is probably the 2nd most talented team right now. Almost their entire team has played/currently plays in the NBA, and they've had back-to-back #1 picks in the draft.
Good to know. Perhaps it has all been above board.

Speaking of, what are your thoughts on the officiating at the end of the US-Serbia game?

Good to know. Perhaps it has all been above board.

Speaking of, what are your thoughts on the officiating at the end of the US-Serbia game?
Well, there's probably been some home cooking but it's not as though they're running out a bunch of Sunday leaguers - heading in I'd imagine France was probably favored for a Silver/Bronze but I could be wrong.

I thought it was a great game! Serbia and particularly Jokic (the current best player in the world) played very well. Officiating wise I didn't notice anything too egregious but I'd have to rewatch and I'm clearly biased haha

Well, there's probably been some home cooking but it's not as though they're running out a bunch of Sunday leaguers - heading in I'd imagine France was probably favored for a Silver/Bronze but I could be wrong.

I thought it was a great game! Serbia and particularly Jokic (the current best player in the world) played very well. Officiating wise I didn't notice anything too egregious but I'd have to rewatch and I'm clearly biased haha
Haha, fair enough.

Congratulations on the comeback win!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.