Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Always wonder how the BBC get him for every major championship. You would have thought a major US network would love to have him on board for the Olympics.

I think I read the main reasons are firstly that BBC show more athletics through the year than just the Olympics, and second, the BBC focus isn't just on one country's athletes so he has more to talk about.

Hadn’t realised Lyles has asthma…

This is definitely the pure cynic side of me speaking, but I am always suspicious of competitive runners that have been diagnosed with asthma.

Anyone know if there is fairly convincing evidence it is legitimate so I can scold the cynical bastard part of my grey matter
Be cynical no more…

Exercise-induced asthma is when the airways narrow or squeeze during hard physical activity. It causes shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing, and other symptoms during or after exercise.

The medical term for this condition is exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Many people with asthma have exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. But people without asthma also can have it.

Risk factors​

Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction is more likely to occur in:
  • People with asthma. About 90% of people with asthma have exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. However, the condition also can occur in people without asthma.
  • Elite athletes. Although anyone can have exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, it's more common in high-level athletes.
Factors that can increase the risk of the condition or act as triggers include:
  • Dry air.
  • Cold air.
  • Air pollution.
  • Chlorine in swimming pools.
  • In a gym setting, fumes from perfume, paint, new equipment or carpet.
  • Activities with long periods of deep breathing, such as long-distance running, swimming or soccer.

Yes, it's odd how France keeps churning out top players who play in the NBA. Basketball's pretty popular over here, but it comes a long, long way behind football in its drawing power. I dare say there are even parts of the country where rugby outranks it.
Tony Parker is of course one of France's sporting legends.
Loved Tony Parker and those Spurs teams! Fantastic player.

It is strange the amount of talent France is putting out compared to the level of popularity, but I love it. Great for the game overall. The Baltics & Balkans have always produced talent but now France, Germany, Greece, Spain, etc are reliably producing talented players and it'

I hope we get to see a USA vs World game someday. I think as we saw with Serbia just now the talent is there, it's just spread too thinly and the depth is what tips the scales. I think a World team (maybe even just an all Europe team) would handily win.

Be cynical no more…

Exercise-induced asthma is when the airways narrow or squeeze during hard physical activity. It causes shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing, and other symptoms during or after exercise.

The medical term for this condition is exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Many people with asthma have exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. But people without asthma also can have it.

Risk factors​

Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction is more likely to occur in:
  • People with asthma. About 90% of people with asthma have exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. However, the condition also can occur in people without asthma.
  • Elite athletes. Although anyone can have exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, it's more common in high-level athletes.
Factors that can increase the risk of the condition or act as triggers include:
  • Dry air.
  • Cold air.
  • Air pollution.
  • Chlorine in swimming pools.
  • In a gym setting, fumes from perfume, paint, new equipment or carpet.
  • Activities with long periods of deep breathing, such as long-distance running, swimming or soccer.
From the NYT:

After the race, the star American sprinter hunched over on the track, motioned for water and was eventually taken away on a wheelchair.

Loved Tony Parker and those Spurs teams! Fantastic player.

It is strange the amount of talent France is putting out compared to the level of popularity, but I love it. Great for the game overall. The Baltics & Balkans have always produced talent but now France, Germany, Greece, Spain, etc are reliably producing talented players and it'

I hope we get to see a USA vs World game someday. I think as we saw with Serbia just now the talent is there, it's just spread too thinly and the depth is what tips the scales. I think a World team (maybe even just an all Europe team) would handily win.

Now the USA v Europe. That would be interesting. A series every two years or so, Ryder Cup style.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood your post. I just thought you were saying the athletics schedule wasn’t very good tomorrow so I was pointing out we have the heptathlon to look forward too, as well as the relays you’ve mentioned.
No mate, just saying having the women's 400m final on the same day as the women's 400m relay heat's seems poor planning.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.