Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

NBC often do cutaways in which they show feeds of two separate events side-by-side (the feature event on the left, and some other event they want to give an update on to the right) with no sound for either as the hosts talk over about what is going on in the “update” event panel.

Usually this works fairly well, as it allows you to get a quick sense of what is happening elsewhere, and has actually acted as a helpful reminder to switch to a different stream to watch the other event live when it was a sport I was more interested in but forgot (or didn’t know) was happening at that time.

But they just did it a little while ago whilst watching the men’s table tennis singles gold medal match, with “breaking” as the feed on the right (and so had no music)…

And, wow, did the dancers (both the one actively breaking and the one swaggering around watching) look silly with no audio.

Reminds me of the videos online of scenes from action or thriller movies where the audio has been removed (nothing else modified) and all of a sudden the slow-motion action or intense face closeups are absolutely hilarious.

There are plenty of random sports in the Olympics these days, but it's a pretty incredible things to be able to do and for me that's enough of a benchmark for it to be in. Things like football and golf shouldn't as it's not the pinnacle of the sport. There are lots that could be better refined as well. BMX racing in a one off race, when it's a best of three qualification process. Sailing where you have a medal race after about 10 previous races too. That's like City winning the league then having a one off game to decide who actually wins.
I agree no golf or football , you have a good case for the rest

I thought the officiating was fine. It wasn't until I saw your comments here did I think there were questionable calls down the stretch.

Which calls in particular did you think were missed or called incorrectly?

I definitely think the Serbian player bringing the ball up the court went over and back at midcourt and was correct on a turnover. Credit to KD defense there. The fouls too that were called looked legit too. Anything I should be looking at in my DVR replay?

Obviously as others have noted, Curry, Embiid, KD, and LeBron were big down the stretch. The turning point to me was when the Serbian wide open 3 point shot didn't go in and USA finally got the scrappy rebound. For as well as Serbia shot all game for 3 periods, they hit zero 3 pointers in the 4th. That was pretty big, and many of the 3s they took were wild, shot clock running out, throw it up off-center attempts too. Credit the US defense on that, which was lock down in that period.
I think some of the technical and team fouls were quite suspect, the backcourt violation was dubious for me (and a huge win for the US given the timing), and the refs seemed very slow to call fouls at the end, despite the US continually fouling Serbian players, to the point even the American co-commentator noted “well, they have been fouling him, they just haven’t called it”.

Seemed to be very subtle game management.

But, to be fair, I don’t watch a lot of basketball, so perhaps I am being too harsh and cynical, and US v France is a completely legitimate marquee match up of the Olympics!

There are plenty of random sports in the Olympics these days, but it's a pretty incredible things to be able to do and for me that's enough of a benchmark for it to be in. Things like football and golf shouldn't as it's not the pinnacle of the sport. There are lots that could be better refined as well. BMX racing in a one off race, when it's a best of three qualification process. Sailing where you have a medal race after about 10 previous races too. That's like City winning the league then having a one off game to decide who actually wins.
Or a league having a long regular season that only decides who gets in to the smaller knockout tournament to determine who actually wins the league.

images

Or a league having a long regular season that only decides who gets in to the smaller knockout tournament to determine who actually wins the league.

images

When it's the pinnacle of your sport and only comes along every 4 years, I think it's ridiculous the way some sports are decided. The BMX racing they don't seem to care too much, our rider wasn't bothered by missing out even though she'd smashed her heats each and every time. But in sailing, the Olympics is everything and our lass went into her final race against two people who had just raced the course giving them a huge advantage, and fundamentally she'd already proven she was the best by getting a pass straight to the final. Either have a single one-off race, or measure it at the end of several races. Doing both seems really unfair, to the extent that she said she might have to quit the sport as it's happened to her in the world champs too.

Just got in to pick up the news that Toby Robert’s won the gold in the climbing. Unexpected but nonetheless a fantastic result. Hopefully Erin McNeice can follow his lead (whoops!) tomorrow.

Th
Just got in to pick up the news that Toby Robert’s won the gold in the climbing. Unexpected but nonetheless a fantastic result. Hopefully Erin McNeice can follow his lead (whoops!) tomorrow.
Think the UK has some top-notch speed climbers.
Some of our scallies, gadgies, charvers, scrotes & Neds are unbeatable at climbing out if a difficult situation...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.