Park homes?

paulchapo

Is anybody here living in one? Now I've taken early retirement it's something I've looked at but the pretty high cost of fees puts me off a bit. As I get older I'm valuing my peace and quiet more highly and these look a viable option.

I lived in one than it was taken over by park holidays. We were all even notice to get of around 200 of us. We could stay if we bought a new caravan/static home from them.
We could only sell our caravan/static home through park holidays so I made a 18k lost within two years of being on there. Some made alot more of a lost. Plus the ground rents have gone up alot.

Before the take it was a lovely place to live, very friendly no one under 40 and no kid. But it changed for the worse once the take over happen.

So be aware even if you buy on a family own site , if they get taken over all they want to do is sell new caravan/static homes.

I am sure they are nice sites out there but I personally wont go near one again

I lived in one than it was taken over by park holidays. We were all even notice to get of around 200 of us. We could stay if we bought a new caravan/static home from them.
We could only sell our caravan/static home through park holidays so I made a 18k lost within two years of being on there. Some made alot more of a lost. Plus the ground rents have gone up alot.

Before the take it was a lovely place to live, very friendly no one under 40 and no kid. But it changed for the worse once the take over happen.

So be aware even if you buy on a family own site , if they get taken over all they want to do is sell new caravan/static homes.

That is another worry, or they decide to keep on pushing the fees up. How long ago was this? I'm sure new legislation was recently brought in to stop this happening?

That is another worry, or they decide to keep on pushing the fees up. How long ago was this? I'm sure new legislation was recently brought in to stop this happening?

It was about 4 yrs ago. My caravan was only 12 years old but was told the caravan was to old for the site as only caravan under 10 years were allowed on the sit. Unless you bought a new one from them than you could stay longer.

Honestly it was a lovely place before the take over , we all had nice gardens etc. After the take over no gardens just allowed 3 plant pots. Every thing has to be bought through them , even washing machines etc they had to fit them and charge you for it !

Is anybody here living in one? Now I've taken early retirement it's something I've looked at but the pretty high cost of fees puts me off a bit. As I get older I'm valuing my peace and quiet more highly and these look a viable option.
Always fancied firing the old mortal coil in one having been born in a prefab, remember them being about 30 grand at one time, not long after they threw some up at Rossmere 150 grand, ffs they're a bit of timber.

It was about 4 yrs ago. My caravan was only 12 years old but was told the caravan was to old for the site as only caravan under 10 years were allowed on the sit. Unless you bought a new one from them than you could stay longer.

Honestly it was a lovely place before the take over , we all had nice gardens etc. After the take over no gardens just allowed 3 plant pots. Every thing has to be bought through them , even washing machines etc they had to fit them and charge you for it !

That is sheer explotation, horrendous.

I bought this house in Altrincham 28 years ago. I haven't done much to it when I was at sea I probably was only there 12 days a month. Although the value has risen considerably I guess it fits the affordable range for young families and first time buyers. This obviously means kids and noise. Now I'm here all the time I need somewhere quieter. It's a difficult choice where to go.

Always fancied firing the old mortal coil in one having been born in a prefab, remember them being about 30 grand at one time, not long after they threw some up at Rossmere 150 grand, ffs they're a bit of timber.

Yes the price for some now is ridiculous.

That is sheer explotation, horrendous.

I bought this house in Altrincham 28 years ago. I haven't done much to it when I was at sea I probably was only there 12 days a month. Although the value has risen considerably I guess it fits the affordable range for young families and first time buyers. This obviously means kids and noise. Now I'm here all the time I need somewhere quieter. It's a difficult choice where to go.

It was exploration lots of the older people were in tears and had no where to go. Plus they stopped us having our post/mail from being delivered and had to use someone else address.
The new owners also made us get of the site for two weeks every 12 months, the old owners never bothered with that.
Perhaps the rules are different for a residential site. I didnt getting of for 2 weeks just went on holiday.

As has been said they arent cheap to buy plus the ground rent must be around 5k a year

can vouch for that, signing up for a lease means giving the owners carte blanche to do whatever they feel like doing. The mark-up on new statics is vast and is the incentive to act like the worst landlords you can imagine. So they do. There are sites with permanent chalets but you pay for the privilege with council tax service charges etc and the initial purchase, mostly over-fifties/retirement communities.
There are many horror stories about holiday homes, and despite numerous promises from the govt nothing gets done....

My Ex‘s mother lives in one.
her 1st husband died, and she met someone who lived in a park Home.
they then bought a smashing house in Lymm... then moved to a different Park home...

it felt tiny, cramped, too cold , or too hot
they didnt seem to talk to anyone on the site, afaik, even though it ‘felt’ friendly.
ive heard many stories about really bad park home landlords. - like in Private-eye

and as mentioned, the govt hasn’t done anything for about 20 years to assist tenants, as they get fleeced

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.