Passport Renewal

Salford_Blue

Just though I'd post about the positive experience I had recently.

All four of our passports had expired, so even though we only go away later in the year, I was a bit concerned about the turnaround, so decided to get them in early.

Completed the online forms which took 45 mins max for all four.

Got email telling me to send off our old ones so sent them Tracked. They got there two days later and I got an email to say they had received them.

Five days or so later, got emails saying three had been approved, but one of the kids picture needed to be confirmed, so we asked someone to go online to confirm. Again, once that was done, got another email saying that had been approved.

Got emails telling me they were being printed a few days later.

Got emails telling me they were on the way and with tracking numbers.

In total, I reckon just over two weeks from initial applications to receipt of new passports.

The service was superb.

COSTS?

PASSPORTS: £88.50 (x4) = £354
NEW PICS: £50 approx. We did them at Max Spielman to ensure we had correct images (missus nagged me...I didn't want to!), but nothing stopping you taking your own.
SENDING OLD PP's back: £15

Not cheap, but just wanted to let people know it was a very positive and stress-free experience.

That’s good to know. Mine must expire next summer so it’s something I need to think about before too long.

I had to go for an interview for my first one. Some of the questions they asked…

Last time we renewed we went into the post Office and paid a couple of quid for them to check the form and take the pictures themselves. To be happy that all was ok that went off.

Can't remember how long they took to come back but it was quite speedy (not long after Covid)

Last time I did it (18 months ago) it was an absolute fucking shambles. I paid for the fast service, and not only did it not arrive on time (arrived the day before I was due to fly), it turns out it hadn't been sent out via recorded delivery, just a standard stamp on Royal Mail, so the reference number they'd given me didn't work. Bearing in mind that I live and work abroad, and my old passport had my work visa in, it was incredibly stressful. I even had to get my local MP's office involved, because they basically make it impossible to speak to anyone on the phone.

Last month I renewed ours on line.
From submitting the application to getting the new passports was 10 days, including a bank holiday.

Well impressed.

Last time I did it (18 months ago) it was an absolute fucking shambles. I paid for the fast service, and not only did it not arrive on time (arrived the day before I was due to fly), it turns out it hadn't been sent out via recorded delivery, just a standard stamp on Royal Mail, so the reference number they'd given me didn't work. Bearing in mind that I live and work abroad, and my old passport had my work visa in, it was incredibly stressful. I even had to get my local MP's office involved, because they basically make it impossible to speak to anyone on the phone.
I live outside the UK, I had to renew via the Embassy, 2 months wait, the service was superb apart from the wait.

Check issue dates when considering travel abroad. I think passports expire ten years after the issue date and don't include the added if if the previous one was renewed early.

Check issue dates when considering travel abroad. I think passports expire ten years after the issue date and don't include the added if if the previous one was renewed early.
Isn't that just if people are travelling to the EU? Or is it for RoW too?

Slightly off topic,Know a fella who was going with his family on holiday to Spain turned up at airport went to check bags in and passport checks his only had 4 days left wouldn’t let him fly,so he contacted his twin brother got his passport and changed his first name to that on boarding passes and lo and behold he enjoyed his 10 days in Spain..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.