Patrick Vieira

MSP said:
If he's smart and it looks he is, he'll keep this job for as long as he could.

Much less stressful and much safer than managerial one.

Agree with this.

If you think about it, it is a dream job being at the fore front of the new Campus.

LoveCity said:
He is taking his coaching badges, he confirmed it last season and said he was learning from Andy Welsh (lol), so some day he will probably coach. Could definitely see him involved at our club, not sure where if Lombardo remains EDS coach.
On the bench with Mancini in a few years when Brian Kidd retires?

This guy is doing a brilliant pr job 4 manchester city.Im glad vieria is working for us and not arsenal

In the short time he has been at City he has proved to be top quality.

So glad he is at City as we go from strength to strength.

It's amazing how some people come to our club for a short space of time (as a player) and just completely fall in love with it.

Clive Allen was another example, as was Ian Bishop and I suppose Andy Morrison must be another.

But given Patrick's affiliation to Arsenal it's heartwarming to see how he has embraced City. And as others have said what an effect he must have on the likes of Micah Richards who would have grown up watching him.

Got to love Pat.

Thank f*** he never ended up at Arsenal.

Well done City! :-)

Interesting article about Patrick Vieira and the current and future youth setup at City.

Sky blue is the limit for success at Manchester City’s academy

Ali Khaled

March 6, 2014 Updated: March 6, 2014 21:25:00

A banner at Wembley Stadium promised that things would “get better”.

By the end of 90 minutes on Sunday, they had. Manchester City had just won the League Cup, the first trophy of Manuel Pellegrini’s reign as manager.

But even as the celebrations continued, the manager was already thinking ahead. This was the first of many he hoped. Pellegrini is looking to build a dynasty.

Entrusted with leading the club’s next generation into this brave new world is one of football’s most successful midfielders of the past two decades.

Patrick Vieira ended his playing career as part of the City team that won the 2011 FA Cup final against Stoke City.

“I had the opportunity to spend two years in every department at the club,” he said. “After seeing where I can best bring my knowledge, I decided to go into the coaching staff.”

Vieira is now in charge of the club’s Elite Development Squad (EDS), the Under 21 team that replaced the reserve side.

Not surprisingly, one man above all others shaped Vieira’s football ideology. He said that being with Arsene Wenger for nine years at Highbury resulted in the Arsenal manager having the most influence on his game. “I share the philosophy of the club and how they want to play football, what they want to achieve,” he said.

“We’re trying to put in place at this football club the same philosophy that I believe in.”

It is Vieira’s brief to instil that same philosophy into the club’s youngsters.

“A lot of possession, a lot of movement up front, a lot of passes,” the former Inter Milan and Juventus player said. “Whatever the age group, or team we play against, we are in control of the game because we have more possession of the ball. There’s a link between the age groups.”

The coaching staff are keen to provide what the former Arsenal captain calls “a path way” into the first team.

“Technically, the players have to be really creative, be good on the ball and make the right decisions,” Vieira said. “What’s really good with the manager is that he invites players from the U21s to train with the first team.”

City will be moving away from Carrington this year, their training centre since 2001, into a state-of-the-art new academy in the shadow of Etihad Stadium. A 6,000-seat ground will be home to the academy teams.

Intriguingly, the 16 training pitches are positioned in a way that players making their way through the ranks will progressively play nearer and nearer to the stadium.

In every sense, they would be seeing their dreams getting closer to reality.

“We’ll be taking it to a whole new level,” Vieira said. “We’ll be more demanding of the players and they will have to deliver. It’s up to them to show how much they want it. We want them to leave the academy saying today I learnt something new.”

Vieira retains autonomy over the EDS players, with Pellegrini trusting that the club’s ethos is being instilled in the youngsters.

The ultimate goal is to produce players that can step into the first team seamlessly. Results, at this stage, are of less significance for Vieira.

“I would be more happy to see players play for the first team than to win games,” he said.

Vieira’s team competes in the U21 Premier League, but in Europe he takes charge of the U19s in the Uefa Youth League.

“It is one of the best competitions for the youth to develop themselves,” he said. “In the first group stage we played against German, Russian and Czech opposition, three different types of football that we had to adapt ourselves to. That’s is the best way to learn.”

The coach insists that adapting to the opposition does not mean changing your own tactics.

“We played 4-3-3. We don’t change our style,” he said. “We come up against teams that play 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, and we have to deal with these situations without changing our system. “

Playing away from home has been a particular eye-opener. Different football styles and different cultures provide an insight of what life is like at the highest level.

“German football is quite physical and technical at the same time. Czech football is similar, and the Russians are very fast,” Vieira said.

Last week his team won 1-0 at Atletico Madrid in the Spanish capital. It is a taste of future possibilities.

“It’s a new competition for a lot of these players and it’s a fantastic experience,” Vieira said.

With Uefa’s Financial Fair Play in mind, the role of the academy is set to grow. City have cast their scouting net globally.

The club has also set up the New York City franchise, purchased Melbourne Heart in Australia and launched training schools around the world.

Pellegrini and Vieira have visited the Manchester City FC School of Football in Abu Dhabi, which runs coaching sessions for youngsters at Zayed Sports City, and has 700 members.

“Football is global. Football’s passport is talent and, if someone is a good player, why not sign him?” he said. “But the best players can sometimes be next door.”

The academy has a diverse mix of nationalities, but great pride is taken in promoting the city’s own.

“It is important to have some boys from Manchester because they have supported City since they were five or six years old, they’ve got the DNA of the football club in their blood,” Vieira said. “When I arrived at Arsenal we had players like Tony Adam, Martin Keown and Lee Dixon, watching them made me understand what Arsenal was about.”

Vieira said many at the academy will make the grade – some at City, some on loan and others elsewhere.

“Here at Manchester City we’re not just looking to produce players good enough to play in the Premier League, we have to produce players that can win the title, and win the Champions League.”

The Frenchman knows all about winning trophies. Three Premier League titles, five FA Cups, five Serie A titles and a Euro 2000 winner’s medal. He was also a World Cup champion in 1998.

It is a record that demands instant respect from his charges. But only briefly.

“What I’ve won helps but that’s only for a short period of time, after that I have to show that I know what I’m talking about” Vieira said.

“I have to challenge them and make training really interesting. If not, it doesn’t matter who you are and what you’ve won because the players will see what you’re doing and say, next.”

Vieira looks like he will be around for some time yet.

For City, things look like getting better, again.

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/sport/eng...-manchester-citys-academy#page2#ixzz2vCy2mfvn
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.