Paul Lake rejoins MCFC

avoidconfusion

Chuffed to the bollocks about this. Mind you this all happened before my time but I read up on Paul's story and I always found it quite sad what happened to him and his knee.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2010/May/Lakey-back-at-City" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/20 ... ck-at-City</a>

One of City’s most naturally gifted former players has returned to the club he supported as a boy.

Paul Lake was tipped as a future England captain before a succession of knee injuries forced him to retire in his mid-20s.

Now, the hugely popular ex-Blue is back at the club as City in the Community Ambassador and will work alongside CITC Managing Director Sarah Lynch and Alex Williams MBE at the City of Manchester Stadium.

With 129 appearances for City during an injury-ravaged career, the ex-skipper has already proved to be one of this year’s best signings.

Whether it was fate or other forces at work, ‘Lakey’ couldn’t have timed a visit to the Blues’ CEO any better.

“I came to see Garry Cook to try and get some shirts and other memorabilia signed to help raise money for Jump Space, one of the charities I’m involved with which deals with disabilities such as autism,” he said.

“My youngest son Edward has autism and while I was speaking with Garry, he mentioned there might be a position opening up at City to help with the fundraising side of City in the Community and would I be interested?

I’d been working as a physiotherapist and my knee had been letting me down on a regular basis so I was hoping at some stage to change my profession, so the timing of this opportunity couldn’t have been better

...Paul Lake

“It killed two birds with one stone – firstly it allowed me to ‘come home’ - I know that sounds corny but for me it’s true - and secondly it allowed me to work for charities on a full-time basis.

“As a former patron of a charity, I know how important the work done to raise money is and the positive effect it can have whereby it can literally change people’s lives. This gives me a chance to do something worthwhile and also work under the umbrella of my old club.

“It’s been absolutely a fantastic and I’m enjoying every minute of it. I’m working with some great people at CITC. We are the community club and we’re keen to give something back to the people of Manchester who perhaps need it the most.

“The role also means I’m able to come along on matchdays again, so I’m back working for my old team and not working on Saturdays anymore. I can honestly say it’s the most content I’ve been since I was 17 playing football for City. I couldn’t be in a happier place and I’m absolutely loving it.”

Watch out for an exclusive video on Paul’s return next week.

Get in.

Good move for all concerned reading that. Had it not been for the injuries he would have been a true international star remember seeing him and the others like Redmond White and Brightwell in that youth that won the fa youth cup at a packed Maine Road.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.