Paul Merson

Guess it’s just me that has no issues with drinks and betting companies being required to tell us to drink or gamble responsibly then and leaving it at that. Both are only allowed to sell and market their wares to adults, not sure why we have to go any further lengths. I don’t believe either should be society’s moral arbiters.

I felt no sympathy for Merson at all. Bloke has lost £7m, I agree with him that he’s a **** for that and him having a cry on screen doesn’t change that for me.
They might look like adults but they're kids on the inside!

Can't feel sorry for this bucket of shit!

I feel sorry for his family, the constant ongoing mental and physical harassment his poor mum, dad and partners have had to deal with on a daily basis from a grown man, is unfair.

Had he not been a professional footballer he'd would have been dead years ago and in all honesty, it would have been better for all associated with the bum in the long term. The illness and heart break this dick has caused his family is beyond anything a family needs to deal with.

Selfish prick full stop, needs to grow up for his families sake.

Another Z list sleb shamelessly playing the mental health / addiction card to earn a few quid from the gullible masses. Which he’ll then presumably spunk on the 410 at Hereford or something equally daft.

The guy’s a moron if he wastes his money gambling as is anyone in the same boat. If you don’t have an edge don’t bet. Don’t indulge the fools and help them to justify their utterly selfish and stupid behaviour by pretending they’re the victims - no they’re not they’re just weak and foolish

Whatever happened to personal responsibility and self discipline ?

Guess it’s just me that has no issues with drinks and betting companies being required to tell us to drink or gamble responsibly then and leaving it at that. Both are only allowed to sell and market their wares to adults, not sure why we have to go any further lengths. I don’t believe either should be society’s moral arbiters.

I felt no sympathy for Merson at all. Bloke has lost £7m, I agree with him that he’s a **** for that and him having a cry on screen doesn’t change that for me.

Personally I'd just like to not have it rammed down my face in every ad break.

I know you're not in the UK anymore but it's impossible to watch sport in this country without getting subjected to dozens of adverts screaming at you to bet bet bet bet bet bet bet (responsibly).

In the same way they are taking over the high street, they're taking over advertising. You can't listen to a podcast on football without there being some dedicated section where some prick from a bookmakers takes you through the odds of each match that week, or a sponsored first goal competition.

I do wonder how this non-stop barrage of advertising is effecting people and especially kids.

Because while you say they're only marketed to adults, that's not true. @BlueMoonPodcast might be able to tell me otherwise, but podcasts running gambling ads can't determing if the listener is 18. And they still see the barrage of adverts which are ostensibly "when the fun stops, stops" messages, but really it's just a reminder to bet now during the ad break.

Last edited:
Personally I'd just like to not have it rammed down my face in every ad break.

I know you're not in the UK anymore but it's impossible to watch sport in this country without getting subjected to dozens of adverts screaming at you to bet bet bet bet bet bet bet (responsibly).
Yeah I watch the U.K. channels for the pre-match and half time and the golf so I know what you mean. But if it wasn’t gambling it would be something else that’s fucking annoying.

I can sympathise with people with an ‘addictive personality’, but we don’t all need to be controlled by rules of the state. I enjoy a bet on sport whilst having a pint or three. For all the ‘woke folk’ let’s just say it is a ‘wellness tool’ that helps my mental health.
Anyway, going to go and find the best odds on the Hungarian goalkeeper to be the first player to fasten his bootlaces tonight - got to do something to make these international games interesting. At least my Guinness will be good.

Good luck to the fella and all those addicted to gambling. Thought he was very brave to front up like he did tonight on national tv. The gambling laws in this country our detrimental to the mental health health of many and need seriously tightening.
The likes of Bet Victor and their unabated tax avoidance ways might lead one to conclude that the people they have in their pockets will lead to zero fucks given to the man in the street and the affect it has on the poorest in society

Reactions: moh
I definitely had a gambling addiction in my early adulthood. Probably lost 3-5 grand over a few years. Got myself banned from online gambling, instantly changed my life and turned around my financial situation. Wish more people would do that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.