Paul Merson

I’m of the opinion that prohibition of virtually everything is pointless and counter productive, be that drink, drugs or gambling. I’m not a big fan of big state, nanny state having to stop me from being able to see adverts.

If it’s legal, allow advertising for it.
We’ll have to agree to disagree then

I’ve never been one to complain about the State not intervening in certain things so not sure that can be thrown at me but I know what you mean.

I was addicted to nicotine for 26 years, aged 13 I started and despite being sporty, I continued until I realised I was 3 months off being 40 and therefore I should quit, so I did, cold turkey. I didn’t enjoy the process but I knew it was something I needed to do, so I get it but quitting smoking doesn’t mean I can’t watch Mad Men (where everyone is smoking 100% of the time).

You say “some do need protection” but where do you draw the line? And you obviously understand that your line will differ from mine and ours will be different from GDM’s whose (no doubt perverted line) will differ from Mat’s. And as we all have different lines then it’s much better to have no line at all.

Who am I to decide I’m more grown up and responsible than other adults and that I should be in charge of what they see between to 45 minutes halves of football?

It’s a slippery slope to authoritarianism.
I think there are certain parallels with the principle of free speech in this. End of the day, I would say it boils down to whether or not you (as a government) think it is becoming too much of a threat to the societal system. If not, let individual choice flow.
If you need extra rules, it's normally a sign that something more fundamental is wrong.

Seems a few people on here have no understanding of how gambling addiction can take over someone’s life - It is a daily battle for some and they have to cope with the losses and despair- which in some cases means they take their own life.

An addiction is an addiction- it’s not something to just dismiss, and there should always be ways to help prevent people getting addicted- if someone as high profile as Merson can explain the dangers and what he has been through then that will help others - so, those calling him a ‘c*nt’ and having little sympathy at the plight he and millions others get in through gambling then you’re probably best to not give your ignorant opinion - especially as we’ve recently had a poster on here lose her husband to this addiction.

Last edited:
Seems a few people on here have no understanding of how gambling addiction can take over someone’s life - It is a daily battle for some and they have to cope with the losses and despair- which in some cases means they take their own life.

An addiction is an addiction- it’s not something to just dismiss, and there should always be ways to help prevent people getting addicted- if someone as high profile as Merson can explain the dangers and what he has been through then that will help others - so, those calling him a ‘c*nt’ and having little sympathy at the plight he has and millions others get in through gambling then you’re probably best to not give your ignorant opinion - especially as we’ve recently had a poster on here lose her husband to this addiction.
No Mark, I’ll keep being honest with my opinions if it’s all the same. Feel free to block me or to fuck off to a hammers forum but my comments have garnered enough comments/likes to say I’m not an outlier on this.

I’m well aware you’re another battling gambling addiction and I wish you well but I stand by what I said. He’s lost £7m for a rush, for the buzz he got from it. Like he managed with booze and cocaine. He’s not a victim, he did whatever he wanted because it made him feel good and he could afford to as he was being paid what you or I could only dream of.

You know what? I love gambling, I used to love a bit of sniff, I adore booze, but I was never fortunate enough to be paid enough to spend fortunes on it as I was aware how much money I had to ensure I had left over to pay for shit and I had to ensure I showed up to the office the next day. Both he and I know/knew at what point in any gambling session to log off/to walk away, but he refused “because [he] loved the feeling of gambling”. So I don’t see Merson as a victim, I see him as a fucking idiot. He knew exactly what he was doing last year when he lost his family’s house deposit. One thing the programme showed is that he’s not as thick as he portrays himself on Soccer Saturday. He’s been blessed with talent and a career most would kill for and managed to continue earning good money once his career had finished and still it’s not enough for him. I find it very difficult to have any sympathy with him when compared with people I know in everyday life that have been beset by problems, illness and tragedy through no fault of their own.

No Mark, I’ll keep being honest with my opinions if it’s all the same. Feel free to block me or to fuck off to a hammers forum but my comments have garnered enough comments/likes to say I’m not an outlier on this.

I’m well aware you’re another battling gambling addiction and I wish you well but I stand by what I said. He’s lost £7m for a rush, for the buzz he got from it. Like he managed with booze and cocaine. He’s not a victim, he did whatever he wanted because it made him feel good and he could afford to as he was being paid what you or I could only dream of.

You know what? I love gambling, I used to love a bit of sniff, I adore booze, but I was never fortunate enough to be paid enough to spend fortunes on it as I was aware how much money I had to ensure I had left over to pay for shit and I had to ensure I showed up to the office the next day. Both he and I know/knew at what point in any gambling session to log off/to walk away, but he refused “because [he] loved the feeling of gambling”. So I don’t see Merson as a victim, I see him as a fucking idiot. He knew exactly what he was doing last year when he lost his family’s house deposit. One thing the programme showed is that he’s not as thick as he portrays himself on Soccer Saturday. He’s been blessed with talent and a career most would kill for and managed to continue earning good money once his career had finished and still it’s not enough for him. I find it very difficult to have any sympathy with him when compared with people I know in everyday life that have been beset by problems, illness and tragedy through no fault of their own.
I wouldn't usually jump into a discussion but its interesting you saying you have no sympathy with him compared to people who may have had illnesses/tragedy etc. I would say compulsion is an emotional illness and therefore compulsive gambling (problem gambling) is an illness. Like any other addition, it is an illness where the subject has no control over their actions. And 0.5% of adults in UK have this addition.

I would not dismiss compulsive gambling as idiocy but at the same time, I would not expect a non compulsive person to understand the struggles of a compulsive person.

Just watched a three generations interview on the bbc with Ian Wright, SWP and SWP’s son, interestingly SWP named Merson as a footballer who he looks up to.

Nope I won’t block you or f*ck off to a Hammers forum’ - I am used to the nature of your replies over the years - especially on this topic , for some reason you like to be aggressive and shout down anyone opening up about about gambling addiction - I remember all to well the digs you made at me years ago when I went through the same.

Whether someone can afford to gamble 7 million or 7 thousand is irrelevant - once the addiction takes hold you’re simply out of control - good for you that you know your limits with gambling and can walk away - an addict simply can not do that.

I can get smashed on booze and call it a night - for others it’s not that easy - whether they're rich or poor - they are also human and the nature of the addiction doesn’t give a sh*t about his or her background. Same for gambling.

No one is trying to take gambling away from you - all that’s being suggested is less advertising and finding ways to prevent what happened to Merson and millions of others - he openly admits he thought about taking his life which many people do including a Blue on here and when you got people like yourself with zero sympathy and calling him a c*nt for speaking on a topic that may help others then I feel it right to point out that doesn’t help anyone and you should be more considerate, not for him personally but for him trying to help others.

I’m sure you’ll make a long winded rant back and mention ‘fuckin idiot’ ‘c*nt’ ‘no sympathy’ etc etc which is fine and that’s your opinion - but as a addict myself I felt it right to challenge you on this as I have a better understanding- I’ve had my say and I’ll leave it there, have a good day.

Last edited:
I’m of the opinion that prohibition of virtually everything is pointless and counter productive, be that drink, drugs or gambling. I’m not a big fan of big state, nanny state having to stop me from being able to see adverts.

If it’s legal, allow advertising for it.
Its peddling misery

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.