Pecking Order and Transfer Policy

I think that the wages structure is a key element in this. From the reports De Jong will be making a similar wage to Kev and Raz at Barcelona. If we had matched or offered more, you can well imagine some of the tensions that would have brought into the dressing room. It must be tricky balancing all the opposing forces as we try and land targets. On the plus side, we are maintaining a consistency in our transfer policy and still have a wonderfully strong squad. The next couple of seasons will be a big test as we seek to backfill Serge and Fern, neither of whom have an obvious youth academy replacement.

We have consistently done nothing but waste money after we have won the league.
I would consider that £60 million has been waisted on Mahrez.

I don't think Mahrez was a waste, but I do think if we'd spent the extra £15m to get van Dijk we'd now be looking down on the scousers from about 10 points clear. Not so much because vD would be that huge an improvement on what we have (though with him, Stones and Laporte we'd be sorted at CB for the next 5-6 years) but because Liverpool's defence would still be shit without him.

Longer ago, an extra £5m-£10m for Hazard would have been a bargain. Hopefully we won't regret missing De Jong.

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if Pep wants a player then the club should back him financially.

I don't think Mahrez was a waste, but I do think if we'd spent the extra £15m to get van Dijk we'd now be looking down on the scousers from about 10 points clear. Not so much because vD would be that huge an improvement on what we have (though with him, Stones and Laporte we'd be sorted at CB for the next 5-6 years) but because Liverpool's defence would still be shit without him.

Longer ago, an extra £5m-£10m for Hazard would have been a bargain. Hopefully we won't regret missing De Jong.

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if Pep wants a player then the club should back him financially.

Hard to imagine we’d have invested in both Laporte and van Dijk, though I understand your point. Losing out on players only really becomes a reality when we do not win things, so should we fail to regain the title, van Dijk will appear a factor, much like Hazard has been in barren years. Barcelona would probably have to win the CL, beating us en route, for de Jong to become a factor.

PEP pre match Burnley (embargoed session):

Pep on the transfer market:
"We have to be quicker and smarter and try to buy the players. We have to adapt. It’s difficult to buy top, top players at a good price. Almost impossible. Maybe we have to trust in the young players and help them develop their own personality here."

Pep on wages and balance:
"I think we try to keep the harmony in the locker room with the wages. When you have no balance with that then there is always a problem with the mood in the locker room. One of the good things that City have done is keeping that balance."

Pep on the future:
"I'm so satisfied for what City has done (until now). We'll see what happens in the summer. We'll see the behaviour of the players in the locker room, their desire to stay and help the club - not just me and their mates. It'll be important."

Cheers for posting mate...

Good to see pep comment on the improvements we need to make in the transfer market...being "quicker and smarter" and having to "adapt". I dont think he'd make these comments if he didnt feel we have made some mistakes when going after players....

The hardest thing isnt getting to the top, its staying at the top and how we "adapt" over the next 12months is going to be important.

If we pulled out for de jong because if the wage situation then I’m beginning to be abit concerned what we are gonna do because in today’s climate £65 mill is not big money and £300 grand a week is soon gonna be normal and if we can’t or won’t pay near that then we will get left behind by the so called giants of Europe such as Barca Real Madrid juve etc. As for de jong I’m not too fussed as his heart was for Barca but in terms of going forward the Lyon lad will cost £60 mill plus and neves £60 plus we have no chance . We are trying to be one of the giants of world football let’s go out and get the players we need .
Gen question - why cannot we be one of the world football giants doing it the way we currently operate -we seem to be doing OK no?

Gen question - why cannot we be one of the world football giants doing it the way we currently operate -we seem to be doing OK no?
Be great if it happened mate but first and foremost we need to get one of these signings in as the press seem to be catching onto our lack of getting these players over the line which in turn will make most teams we bid for a player with up the ante and push for bidding wars . Don’t care what player we are after we just need to go straight in and buy like we did with Bernardo and ederson . Teams like Man Utd and Liverpool will fancy there chances if a bidding war started

Be great if it happened mate but first and foremost we need to get one of these signings in as the press seem to be catching onto our lack of getting these players over the line which in turn will make most teams we bid for a player with up the ante and push for bidding wars . Don’t care what player we are after we just need to go straight in and buy like we did with Bernardo and ederson . Teams like Man Utd and Liverpool will fancy there chances if a bidding war started
Bernardo and Ederson wanted to come to us, we were their first choice, that matters as much as the selling club agreeing any fee with other clubs. It’s also one reason why we are better than most at getting them to sign contract extensions and why as of yet we don’t lose players other clubs do, we have players that want to be with us. When we talk about money spent on deals I think the wages are a bigger issue than 5 or so million on the fee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.