Pedro Zaballa Award?

kippaxchris

Anybody know what this is or can anybody find any information about it? According to Wikipedia David Silva won it in 2005 whilst on loan at Eibar but i can't find anything about what it is/was on the internet and the Wikipedia link for it also gives no information it only says that David Silva is the only player to have won it. Any ideas?

kippaxchris said:
Anybody know what this is or can anybody find any information about it? According to Wikipedia David Silva won it in 2005 whilst on loan at Eibar but i can't find anything about what it is/was on the internet and the Wikipedia link for it also gives no information it only says that David Silva is the only player to have won it. Any ideas?

Was it definatley in 2005, as the Club were relegated that year ? The following year they gained promotion,so I`m wondering if DS won it for Player of the Year for that league.<br /><br />-- Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 pm --<br /><br />
kippaxchris said:

This name uses Spanish naming customs; the first or paternal family name is Zaballa and the second or maternal family name is Barquín.
Pedro Zaballa Barquín (29 July 1938 – 4 June 1997) was a Spanish footballer who played for FC Barcelona between 1961 and 1967, and scored the 2000th goal for Barcelona in La Liga.
He played for CE Sabadell since 1967 until 1970 and scored the first European goal of the club.

Here's Zaballa's story:

Before 80,000 fans, in the 50th minute of the match Real
Madrid v Sabadell, Pedro Zaballa received the ball in front of
the Real goal. The score 0-0.
About to shoot Zaballa noticed the Real goalkeeper lay
unconscious, after a clash of heads had broken his jaw.
To score would have been easy, with the prospect of a
sensational victory and glory for Zaballa. But, without
hesitation he deliberately kicked the ball over a touch-line.
Real Madrid won the match 1-0 but Zaballa won the hearts of
a sporting public and was accorded an immense ovation.
Later he said he obeyed a natural impulse not to take
advantage of the situation.
For his noble and selfless act Zaballa was honored with a
special trophy awarded by the International Committee for
Fair Play. The year - 1969.

The Pedro Zaballa award is a fair play trophy, don't know if it's this trophy, a new award or whatever. Real Madrid were presented with it for a charitable donation that they made. I don't know what Silva did either, I'm sure someone will be along to tell us.

Edit: It's not a fair play trophy, it seems to be for doing something above and beyond the call of duty, something humane.

oakiecokie said:
kippaxchris said:

Was it definatley in 2005, as the Club were relegated that year ? The following year they gained promotion,so I`m wondering if DS won it for Player of the Year for that league.

-- Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 pm --

kippaxchris said:

This name uses Spanish naming customs; the first or paternal family name is Zaballa and the second or maternal family name is Barquín.
Pedro Zaballa Barquín (29 July 1938 – 4 June 1997) was a Spanish footballer who played for FC Barcelona between 1961 and 1967, and scored the 2000th goal for Barcelona in La Liga.
He played for CE Sabadell since 1967 until 1970 and scored the first European goal of the club.

A product of Valencia CF's youth system, Silva made his professional debut in 2004–05, with Segunda División's SD Eibar, while on loan from Valencia, playing 35 league games and scoring on five occasions.

That is taken from Davids Wiki and it lists the award as being won in 2005 on his individual honours so it must have been when they got relegated

I think I may have solved it lads :

2004-2005 SEASON
David Silva, S.D. player Eibar SAD its action to take the ball out of bounds when he had a clear chance, having been a defender lying on the ground, injured after a crash. Silva's gesture took place in the 92nd minute, with the result of 1-1, in the Lleida-Eibar game for Week 35 League Second Division. The Eibar then was ranked at the top of the championship.

Apparantly its an Award given to a Player who has shown Fair Play during a match and the above seems to indicate why our David won it.
Congrats young man.

Found it, from that reliable source of information...the Daily Mail online:

As an 18-year-old Valencia player out on loan at second division Eibar, Silva was clean through on goal in injury-time of a promotion six-pointer with the score at 1-1, when he saw a rival down injured and inexplicably kicked the ball out for a throw-in.

Eibar’s then coach, current Osasuna manager Jose Mendilibar, said: ‘I didn’t say anything to him and neither did the other players. He kicked the ball out so the player could receive treatment. Not many players would have done that and he was praised for his fair play. It was four or five games before the end of the season and, had we won that game, we might have gone up.

Ah Oakie, well done. If you look at La Liga on Wiki it's been given to fans, boards, teams, clubs.

Great stuff glad you both cleared it up as i would have been frustrated to have not known. Nice gesture from David but in all honesty if he did that whilst playing for City with the score at 1-1 i would be fuming!

Carver said:
Found it, from that reliable source of information...the Daily Mail online:

As an 18-year-old Valencia player out on loan at second division Eibar, Silva was clean through on goal in injury-time of a promotion six-pointer with the score at 1-1, when he saw a rival down injured and inexplicably kicked the ball out for a throw-in.

Eibar’s then coach, current Osasuna manager Jose Mendilibar, said: ‘I didn’t say anything to him and neither did the other players. He kicked the ball out so the player could receive treatment. Not many players would have done that and he was praised for his fair play. It was four or five games before the end of the season and, had we won that game, we might have gone up.

Ah Oakie, well done. If you look at La Liga on Wiki it's been given to fans, boards, teams, clubs.

Yes mate,I just used Google Translate and up it popped.Well done yourself sir.Detectives Dumb & Dumber strike again. ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.