PED's in Football

Why Always Ste

So much is consistently discussed on football forums all over the Internet such as Transfer rumours, Player performances and Refereeing decisions yet one issue that, for me, is somewhat conveniently overlooked not just by the fans but also by the sports governing bodies and that is Performance Enhancing Drug use.

Yes it has been discussed before, but when you consider there's more discussion on another Messi rumour than something that's quite serious, shows the sports ignorance to its usage.

It's as of its simply brushed under the carpet.

At least %39 of EFL players were not tested in the 15/16 season (hopefully this has improved this season?)

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38744912

In the above article it states of 550 players to play in the Premier League, 799 samples were taken.... But testing One player Five times equates to Five samples.
And also, players who may not of even played for their clubs in the Prem' could've been tested.

From being an active gym rat and involved in competitive sports myself to am extent, I've noticed a big increase on the wider acceptance of PED usage and this is on a amateur level.
So many lads living on a basic wage, not earning any money from a sport, are at the gym Juicing.
This has always gone on but the level it's at now is far more noticeable....and I put this down to culturally us as a society accepting PED use.

For me, it's somewhat endorsed by The FA/UEFA/FIFA as their procedures for testing are a complete joke and when you compare Footballs testing with other sports, it's a shambles.

Have a different view?
I notice many athletes in the English Premier League who, on my judgement of being around people who juice, clearly take PED's.
This is my opinion and I could be wrong.

Oh and you don't have to look like a WWE star to be taking PED's.
Look at the sport which goes on just around the corner from the Etihad Campus as an example of skinny guys who have been found guilty of this.

So, do you condone this cheating?
Seems it is condoned by those at the top and it's brushed under the carpet.

I technically condone it as I watch it.

This has been discussed across numerous threads in the past,i think you'd have to be very naive in this day and age if you didnt believe PED's were readilly available and used in all sports.

Basically,in a discipline like football,where such incredibly high rewards exist,then participants will do whatever it takes to gain an advantage.I imagine this isnt solely down to the choice/decision of the individual either.

I most certainly don't condone their use in any way, shape, or form and if any players at City were ever found guilty of using them I'd hold that same view. I accept the point Ste made that in a way we technically condone their usage by paying to watch football but none of us know who is actually using them and how many are using them.

The idea that PED's are more widely seen as acceptable these days is something that is totally alien to me and I can't think why people would deem it acceptable. I remember during the Seoul Olympics I stayed up all night waiting for the 100 metres final and watched what I thought at the time was a race that lived up to all the hype with Ben Johnson breaking the world record, only for him to be found guilty a few days later of taking stanozolol. It felt like I'd been cheated, having stayed up all night to watch a race that turned out to be a complete sham (Johnson wasn't the only one in that race that would eventually be caught doping so it isn't all on him). I recall Channel 4 having TV rights to the Olympics at the time and Barry Norman of all people was presenting. When news of Johnson's disqualification broke, he conducted an interview with David Jenkins - a former British athlete who had been a steroid user, and had been convicted in the States for steroid trafficking. Jenkins tried to justify Johnson's drug use, saying that millions of people worldwide had been in awe of his world record breaking performance and people should remember him for that. Frankly, I thought he was talking bollocks and Barry Norman did too - he tore Jenkins to shreds and rightly so.

Last edited:
Ah, my favourite topic in sports. I'm somewhat educated on this so I am pretty quick to brush off people who deny it's a problem.

I walked away from a head coaching role in american football and a position as technical director of the sport due in part to a refusal to attack PED's head on.

It was something they couldn't claim wasn't happening as I played five years with the national champions and PED use was rife in the locker room, I once even saw a rival team swap them in the hallway. But those in power did not want to know.

Let's take a look at football, but before we do, keep this in mind; UFC, American Football, cycling, rugby and almost every other major sport is attempting to combat this issue. They catch cheats. Not all of them, but they are catching some.

Now football. NOBODY gets caught. That is enough to tell you it's condoned from up on high.

I've been around enough athletes to know who is juiced just by looking at them. And the scary part is that these days, most top footballers look like they are. Ours included. You can tell a mile away just from pupil dilation and sweat. It's plain as day something that FIFA, UEFA and the FA don't want to address. Those who get caught despite knowing the test is coming in advance, are suddenly declared injured. We all know the few players who consistently get phantom injuries, heck we had one or two of our own over the years.

The admission/slip that Berahino failed a test and it was hushed up should have sent shockwaves through the sport. Nobody cared.

Last year it reached an all time low, with an entire organisation looking like they were in on it.

Isn't this whole mental health awareness week a FArce as the sport itself puts a lot of pressure on these youngsters to compete and if PED's are encouraged, I've seen people taking PED's and psychologically they've become messed up.

This it seems is the price that's being paid for the financial rewards, and the entertainment spectacle we all enjoy.

The ball certainly does not go past that goal line by mistake.

I've been around enough athletes to know who is juiced just by looking at them.

I agree,only recently i was watching a top 6 game,whereby a player who was once extremely gangly and skinny,is now superbly built and very powerful looking - something attained IMO,by more than diet and training alone.

I don't care 2bh. It's proven to be practically impossible to catch and stop on any meaningful level across sports, to the point where sports are becoming a farce trying to deal with it.

I'd like Yaya to run around like Kante like he used to, I'd like Kun to get his extra yard of pace back. There'll be scandals in 10/15 years anyway in football because they'll retrospectively test (selectively), just legalise and regulate it and be done with it.

I think we should have a league where PED's are allowed, purely for entertainment purposes.

Be funny to see a centre half run the entire length of the pitch in two seconds flat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.