Pellegrini - Job done ?

blueparrot

A new thread because I'm not asking opinions on Pellegrini so much, or as in a post match thread whether posters think Hughes, Pearce and Kidd would have done a better job, just in the clubs opinion has he done what they wanted from him.

My take is this. When three years ago the club decided to get rid of Mancini, by that time Guardiola had committed to Bayern and City as a club weren't ready for him, either on the pitch or off, CFA etc I don't think Guardiola goes to City after Mancini the same way he wouldn't follow Mourinho into Chelsea now.
I believe we spoke to Guardiola at that time and he agreed to consider us first after Bayern, presuming the club was in the right place. We employed Pellegrini to achieve 3 things. First to keep us on an even keel and in the champions league. Second to win a few trophies on the way and thirdly to work knowing the ground was being prepared for Pep and step aside with minimum fuss.
Other, maybe better managers would want there own style of players and if they won things kick off when they knew they were being replaced, which could in turn cost us top 4. Or other managers might just have not worked.

In my opinion he has achieved his brief. He wasn't employed to win champions league and get us to the level of Barca, Real and Bayern , that will be Guardiolas job. His isn't to make players I think we're bought for Gaurdiola ,Sterling , De Bruyne into world beaters, again that will be Pep. Unless things go badly wrong I think at the end of this season the club will say job done.

You are spot on. He was employed because they trusted him to stop the arguments and implement the long term plans without question.

He was also fully aware that pep was their main man and that he was gone when he said yes and come the summer, he will happily walk away again without a bad word or any drama.

He won a double and i still think this season could end very well but his time is up and the summer cant come quick enough.

When he arrived it was obvious that he wasn't gonna be a ten or fifteen year manager! I think he has done a decent job overall. He's had tremendous playing resources and some might say that we have underperformed and defensively we have gone AWOL at times but get CL qualification this year and I would say it was job pretty much done!

I agree with the OP.
It's obvious (in my eyes) that he was brought in for specific reasons and he knows his time is up in the summer.

Would be nicer of the players to commit themselves more and give MP a final good send off, but many seem disinterested in certain games.

Maybe certain players also feel their time is up 're; when Pep steps in.

Never know in football, but this is what I'm seeing.

I think the owners wanted a manager that the players would respond to positively which would lead to a more consistent level of performance, I am not sure they would be happy with the team not reaching its potential over a 3 season period.

In sport you have to take your chances when they come, ambling along presuming a messiah will come in and everything will be fine is a strange strategy really.

So you're saying Pellegrini is basically a yes man and lacks any real ambition of his own?.... Bit harsh.

And I don't think the club have spent these 3 seasons with the primary objective of having our club "pep ready". Our aim was to continue to grow and improve, not stay around the level we were until a new manager might come in.

Last edited:
We look incredibly badly coached and organised. I am sure that's not the case but the continued selection of Toure is looking us look like lazy careless players. I know Toure isn't, he's just slow, but what on Earth possessed Pellegrini to recall him after we'd done quite well without him at a place like West Ham where you have to compete?

I don't understand the reasoning at all. It's sill possible that we could have a great season with a trophy or two, but to be honest I think it's more likely we'll end up with nothing again and that will be entirely Pellegrini's fault, and the decision to retain him in the Summer. What is wrong with giving Vieira 12 months? Seasons with Aguero, Silva etc were hard earned for those of us who watched the rubbish. Now we're giving up special moments through sheer incompetence or bloody mindedness.

I think the owners wanted a manager that the players would respond to positively which would lead to a more consistent level of performance, I am not sure they would be happy with the team not reaching its potential over a 3 season period.

In sport you have to take your chances when they come, ambling along presuming a messiah will come in and everything will be fine is a strange strategy really.
Treading water as strategy, It would probably be unique, and would only make sense if the club were very confident it was going to be successful, that said, positioning the club for Guardiola, even if he doesn't come puts us in a very good position for an alternative, I think there's very little doubt he is coming now though, which probably makes people more critical now as they can't wait for what a Guardiola team might bring.

He was hired to steady the ship, I suppose he did that in his first year.

However, once the ship was steadied his incompetence is there for all to see and this team has been shit for the best part of 18months. If we win the league this year I'd say he's done a reasonably good job but anything short of winning the league has got to be seen as a failure - 1 league out of 3 with this squad would be a huge fuck-up

To be honest, I think most managers could do what he's done/doing. I don't see being nice a reason to stay in a job for 3yrs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.