Pellegrini Thread

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by FantasyIreland, 12 Jan 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didsbury Dave

Didsbury Dave

That's more or less where it's at for me. I'd rather win the league than two domestic trophies. But given the choice of the champs league or premier league I think i would take the champs.

I see almost no chance of four, a tiny chance of 3 and an entirely realistic chance of 2. Which would be just fine and dandy for me, thank you very much. And if it were one trophy and it was the premier league then id be well happy too.

2. mike channon´s windmill

mike channon´s windmill

I have to say he is sweeping away my doubts - the football is of another stratophere. I was worried about his lack of success in Europe and that maybe the boat had sailed re titles, trophies. He still needs to break that duck but when (and I would now emphasise WHEN) he wins his first trophy he could be unstoppable. Of course he´ll have to contend with the ego and Whinger but he seems unflappable at the moment

Manuel - you ain´t no "dud" !!! More humble pie I´m afraid!!! I have no problem being proved wrong !!

3. mcfcphil

mcfcphil

Been thinking about the “tough away games”. Come to the conclusion that i don’t think it’s a bad thing.
    There is no easy away game in the premier league regardless of who you are playing – but i think there are easy home games.
    I’d rather have an easy run of home fixtures and pretty much guarantee a good points haul from them.
    Then, to be honest, whether you’re playing arsenal etc at home or away it’s going to be a tough game .

I think the victories we have already bagged at home against our main rivals will be what clinches us the title.

4. petrusha

petrusha

I think if we could win the League Cup, that would be a big boost for our prospects of taking the title as well - as they say, success breeds success. Ultimately, though, if we face a one-off game against United, even though we're a much better side than them this season, there's also the concern that they could raise themselves in what would effectively be a season-defining occasion for them. On the other hand, what a great opportunity to lay down a marker if we do play them in a Cup final (I'd rather face the Mackems but I suspect it will be the Rags). I'm sure our lads will appreciate that as well, and we've tended to perform well against them in the last few meetings.

Winning the league again would be fantastic. I don't think we'll be far off, either, but I have a nagging worry about Chelsea. I've been quite impressed by Arsenal this year, but I'm not quite as concerned about them right now. But anyway, as I mentioned above, I think we're very nicely set for the future even if things don't quite go for us in the next four months,

5. BobKowalski

BobKowalski

I seem to recall doing the 'managing a corner shop/Tesco' analogy.

First off, and I have said it enough times, I have no issue with Ferran & Txiki. For the board having F&T run things is a no brainer. The only real issue I had with Txiki was the total balls up over the way the managerial change was made. It was poorly handled and I expected better. I also think the board dropped a bollock with the way they tried/hoped to make a F&T and Roberto partnership 'work'. Accepting Roberto's resignation (which I will assume is true) would have been the smart move as it would have avoided having two separate camps trying to tun the show and wasting a year with everyone pulling in different directions.

Having listened to F&T at the NYC presser and the importance of the coach sharing their philosophy it again demonstrates why we do have Pellers and not Mancini/Mourinho/Benitez et al as it is F&T who dictate the philosophy and structure the squad accordingly. I'm a fan of the DoF model so again no issue from me.

On Pellers himself am liking the football but still believe that we are too open and too loose. I prefer it when we control games and have more structure to the team hence my preference for other coaches but that is a personal point of view. Our defending against Newcastle for example was very last ditch stuff at times but if we controlled the midfield better we would protect the back four better and everything would be less dramatic. Its the Scotty Parker vs Gareth Barry argument. I prefer the latter style of play and some prefer the former. Yes again with the analogies.

My issue with Pellers at the time was the lack of silverware and it still is. We play (at times) great football yet we are still 1 point behind Arsenal and only 1 point ahead of Chelsea who have been largely cack with no strikers worth mentioning. We have by far the best team/squad in the PL with Txiki making some great acquisitions in the summer bar Jovetic. (who may come good if he ever manages to get to a game). Edin had it spot on last night. This team/squad is the better than the title winning side with its key players in their 4th season together and with no ACON to distract us and Taggert out of the way the PL is/should be for the taking. Whether we do or not remains to be seen but its proving to be fascinating struggle as Jose frantically welds the plating to his battle tank and Wenger prays to the Gods of injuries and we for the love of mike keep conceding time and space in front of the fucking back four (end rant)...

So where was I? Ah yes. Is Pellers the man to lead us to glory or will he assume his customary role of most popular bridesmaid?

Well fuck knows. I can't call it but it has been enjoyable so whatever the outcome (and with the League Cup in the bag) I'll be philosophical if the outcome is us clutching a posy in our hands.

6. Didsbury Dave

Didsbury Dave

I'm of that opinion as well. We have some tough aways but they are all going to be six pointers for both teams and there can be no doubt we are capable of coming home with all six points in a number of these. Keep up the home form and I believe these games will win us the title if we can keep key players fit.

As a note of caution, an injury to one or worse more of silva, yaya and/or fernandinho and our season could be badly derailed.

7. OB1

OB1

I remember your original post and who you were replying to.

There was a time that I would have gone for Mou ahead of Manuel but I am glad we didn't. We may win less trophies as a result but I believe the spectacle along the way will make up for it; if indeed any compensation is required.

What is noticeable, is that the people who actually knew something about Pellegrini are slowly but surely being proved correct - a trend that I am optimistic will continue.

Billy touched on this the other day but we are looking more and more like Villareal in style (but with better players). You could see the players last night trying to emulate the "first team".

Also, last night Manny again mentioned post match that, in addition to scoring a bagful, we had kept a clean sheet. Manny wouldn't rather win games 4-3 than 1-0: he really wants to win 4-0 (or 5 or 6...).

8. mcfcphil

mcfcphil

Yes injuries are the key. We can cope without Nasri i think - but what it does do is remove our safety net. if silva gets injured as well then we really are in trouble.
    In the same way we were able to cope without aguero - but if we had lost dzeko or negredo as well in the time he has been out then we would be in a very different situation than we are currently.

Even though we haven't seen him yet - jovetic could be the difference between having a decent season and a monumental one. We just need one more top class player to deal with the amount of games/injuries we'll inevitably have - jovetic is the man.

9. Didsbury Dave

Didsbury Dave

You've been away from this thread for a long time, which is understandable . But I remember your last post just as we were starting our winning run. You demanded to know if anyone could tell you what pellegrini's football philosophy was. 'Come on , the floor's yours...' you harrumphed.

Now, a month or so later, I would say there are as yet undiscovered life forms clinging onto hypothermic vents at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean who can clearly see a clear;
    coherent, consistent , modern and exciting football philosophy being implemented at city. The question is, can you, bob?

Come on...the floor's yours ;-)

10. Painters Radio

Painters Radio

My views also DD. That said if it's one trophy and it's the premier league, as fantastic as that would be and very deserving on how we have performed so far this season, it would no doubt also mean a cup final defeat to the rags, which would be pretty hard to take considering how inferior we currently look to them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.