Pep and Klopp's strategies

Bluekiwi

Team supported
Manchester City (from 1955) & Adelaide Crows (AFL)
This season we have seen Liverpool collapse because in the past couple of seasons Klopp played an unchanged side in almost every game except for domestic cups (which he obviously doesn't rate). Result - players are knackered.
Whereas Pep constantly rotates his players to keep them relatively fresh and prevent them from getting worn out by playing too many high tempo games every few days.
That strategy was clearly illustrated last night - City are through to the semis whereas the scousers are out and in a dogfight to qualify for the UCL next season.

We’ve also been blessed in that this season we’ve avoided serious, long-term injuries to key players. Liverpool’s predicament this season rather mirrors our own predicament last season, so it should serve as a lesson to both supports.

While match intensity has arguably been less this season on account of the absence of crowds, the sheer number of games and the pressure of living in a bubble will inevitably exact a toll further down the line. Guardiola would be the first to acknowledge it.

It was also interesting to see how fatigued the Dortmund players were after 70 minutes in both legs against City.
The rotation system is the secret to winning. Done right it can make the difference in tight games.
Obviously, the players being changed over need to keep up the quality to an extent.
It is clear to see how jaded Liverpool are. They flogged their players to death over the last few years. Short term gain, long term pain. I don't think Liverpool have the energy for a top 4 place finish....they may get a helping hand from their LiVARpool mates, though :(

We’ve also been blessed in that this season we’ve avoided serious, long-term injuries to key players. Liverpool’s predicament this season rather mirrors our own predicament last season, so it should serve as a lesson to both supports.

While match intensity has arguably been less this season on account of the absence of crowds, the sheer number of games and the pressure of living in a bubble will inevitably exact a toll further down the line. Guardiola would be the first to acknowledge it.

They've had injuries because klopp ran them into the ground, not because they're unlucky. They've been incredibly lucky not to have them earlier.

And we've not been "blessed" by avoiding injuries. Pep's rotation has managed the players in a hectic season to avoid fatigue and degredation. Our first few games this season pep treated them as a preseason when everyone else was playing normal sides and banging on about arsenal, spurs, and united fighting for the title. Go back and look at the lineups for those first few games - preseason lineups.

Following that, we have rotated heavily in bursts.

I'm sick to my fucking teeth of people calling klopp unlucky and pep lucky due to their injury situations. The injuries or so far lack there of is down to the management styles.

Who cares, why is any city fan arsed what liverpool do, unless we are going neck and neck with them for some trophy.

They are as irrelevent to us qnd what we are doing this season as palace or newcastle etc unless we have a game against them.

Last 3 seasons we have been rivals for the title so understandable to talk about them semi-obsessively, this year meh not interested

If the scouse **** deserves a comparrison this season then so does any other manager who has struggled to maintain form.

Fuck em, let us live rent free in their heads not the other way round.

It’s celebrated until we lose. Then you have the usual suspects berate pep for rotating and talk about the importance of a settled 11... nonsense.

I wouldn’t say it’s Pep and Klopp’s strategies...

If the rumours that were circling around January, and what Jamie Redknapp was saying, were true, Klopp is said to have had a heated boardroom argument with the CEO/owner of Liverpool about their lack of transfer activity.

Liverpool earnt £1.45bn in the last three years alone, yet they’ve invested just £200m back into their squad.

I keep saying this, but instead of moaning about City, Chelsea, Paris, FFP, always playing the victim card and never questioning what’s going on at their own club; Liverpool fans should be screaming from the rooftops “WHERE THE FUCK DOES THE MONEY GO AT LIVERPOOL?!”

City have recently started earning less money than Liverpool (although we will get a new sponsorship contract this Summer to probably even that up), yet we invest our money into what the entire point in this whole sport is about - the football team.

This is a stark contrast in club strategies.

I don’t like Klopp - he’s a moaning excuse making tosser when Liverpool lose - but I don’t feel like he’s being provided with what his quality as a manger deserves. He almost has to only go out to win the big two trophies because that’s all their owner is interested in. The only two trophies that bring in money. Their owner is a Yank, and Yank owners are all the same in that regard. A poison to the sport. They’re not interested in building a squad for all comps, they’re only interested in what brings in money. Becaus of this I wouldn’t be surprised if Klopp leaves in the next year (or sooner!).

Now don’t get me wrong, despite all the investment into our squad, we still have holes and deficiencies, we’re far from the finished product, and we only truly have one very elite level player (de Bruyne); but our transfer strategy is a holistic one (Begiristain wasn’t lying when he brought that up last decade!). Our investment into the squad is about the entire unit so that there can be rotation and not a huge drop off in quality when we rotate so that we can go all out to win every competition every season. That’s why we’re consistent with a lot of £40-60m signings, rather than a few £25m and a few £100m signings. In 13 years, we’ve only bought one or two very elite level players, some may argue none. We buy young up and coming players with potential on the whole (Yaya Fernandinho Walker and Mahrez are really the only exceptions age-wise, and deBruyne quality-wise). We are certainly no Galacticos, and we only have the legends who became elite players in Agüero DSilva and Kompany through Brian Marwood’s great work. It works to a certain extent because we usually go quite far in all the comps and do win a few or a number of trophies. But then sometimes we are (or have been, maybe not this year, hopefully!) hindered when we need those very elite level players in the biggest of games in the CL. Because of this we rely massively on Guardiola. It’s his football philosophy, coupled with the holistic approach, that makes us so good. If Pep left us, I don’t think we’d be anywhere near as good as we are with anyone else because I’m not sure anyone else would get so much out of a squad of very good players with so few very elite level players.

This is in stark contrast to United, though. They’ve spent an almost identical amount of money on their squad as we have, but they haven’t got a squad. They’ve got a mish-mash of “names”, good quality, lazy fuckers who should be doing better, and shite. When certain players are out, the drop off in quality is huge. However, a bit like Liverpool, their first XI is good and a really good manager could do something with that team if they all stayed fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a shame that it’s unlikely we will even get the chance to field our strongest team in the League Cup final with it being so close to the CL.

When you can’t do that you know the fixture list is overloaded. There can’t be complaints about team selection now City will be looking at the bigger picture.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.