Pep signs new contract until 2025 (p 1262)

Why is poch still our Of work?

What difference would it make to us?

He gets paid by spurs, till he finds a job. Most top clubs have managers, he doesnt need to rush.

Literally means nothing to us, pep has another year at least. Poch might be waiting for the right job for him, he is not waiting for this one.

I'm still hopeful Pep will extend. If he doesnt, still hereca year. I can't believe people want him gone now, and replaced by Pochetino, just because he hasn't signed a (further) extension yet .

Not sure if it's been mentioned before. But Tim Vickery claimed a few months back, that Pep will probably extend until the end of the 21-22 season and then take the Brazil job after the WC

And what category did Manuel Pellegrini fall into when he was appointed by the exact same individuals appointing our next manager? Is Manuel a serial winner or influencer? I would guess neither.

So what is your point with regards our next appointment?

correct. pellegrini is not a top class manager. the team that pep inherited from him were an absolute mess.

the reason why so many top class sides (real madrid, bayern munich, chelsea, arsenal, manchester united) are now turning to ex-players, is because they've worked out that just because someone's done a really good job overachieving at villarreal/malaga (or everton, or southampton/tottenham, or swansea/leicester), that's not usually reliable evidence that they'll succeed at a top class side, because the challenges are very different and expectations are a lot higher.

so the owners/directors of football are instead taking a punt on fan-favourites. someone who at least has a meaningful connection to the club, and who understands the club's culture.

there's no easy answer to your question. i'd love to see bielsa manage us, but i accept it's unlikely. ideally vieira or kompany would have taken the assistant's job and had a few years under pep's tutelage. but unfortunately those are both out the window as well.

given the options available to us

1) pep manages us until he dies
2) arteta's made a good start at arsenal, and i'd be monitoring his progress next season
3) lillo would be a decent option, in terms of replicating pep's style
4) if we can't appoint someone with direct insight into pep's methods, i guess we'd have to settle for a pochettino type appointment, though provisionally i'd prefer tuchel (given he'll have title-winning experience at psg) or nagelsmann (given he's ridiculously young to have coached in the champions league)

having said all that, i don't actually think pochettino would be a bad appointment. but we'd very clearly be appointing him based on his potential to become a top class manager, rather than on his current status as a top class manager.

because if you go your whole managerial career without winning anything, and without influencing another manager who wins things, you absolutely cannot be considered a top class manager.

Last edited:
correct. pellegrini is not a top class manager. the team that pep inherited from him were an absolute mess.

the reason why so many top class sides (real madrid, bayern munich, chelsea, arsenal, manchester united) are now turning to ex-players, is because they've worked out that just because someone's done a really good job overachieving at villarreal/malaga (or everton, or southampton/tottenham, or swansea/leicester), that's not usually reliable evidence that they'll succeed at a top class side, because the challenges are very different and expectations are a lot higher.

so the owners/directors of football are instead taking a punt on fan-favourites. someone who at least has a meaningful connection to the club, and who understands the club's culture.

there's no easy answer to your question. i'd love to see bielsa manage us, but i accept it's unlikely. ideally vieira or kompany would have taken the assistant's job and had a few years under pep's tutelage. but unfortunately those are both out the window as well.

given the options available to us

1) pep manages us until he dies
2) arteta's made a good start at arsenal, and i'd be monitoring his progress next season
3) lillo would be a decent option, in terms of replicating pep's style
4) if we can't appoint someone with direct insight into pep's methods, i guess we'd have to settle for a pochettino type appointment, though provisionally i'd prefer tuchel (given he'll have title-winning experience at psg) or nagelsmann (given he's ridiculously young to have coached in the champions league)

having said all that, i don't actually think pochettino would be a bad appointment. but we'd very clearly be appointing him based on his potential to become a top class manager, rather than on his current status as a top class manager.

because if you go you're whole managerial career without winning anything, and without influencing another manager who wins things, you absolutely
cannot be considered a top class manager.

Fernandinho should be asked to manage our u21 team because I feel there is a top manager in him.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before. But Tim Vickery claimed a few months back, that Pep will probably extend until the end of the 21-22 season and then take the Brazil job after the WC
That would fit Pep's philosophy- keep moving for a new cultural experience. Decent timing too.

I wouldn't call two League Cup's or a Champions League semi final as completely backwards.... At best he kept things ticking over though.
The football got steadily worse under him.
Signed Lampard on loan and did not use him correctly.
Got us to a Champions league semi final but was so out of his depth we were clueless in the second leg.
His FA Cup record was really poor.
Nice man but nothing special as a manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.