Pep Guardiola - 2017/18 assessment

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by dave_blue12, 22 Aug 2017.

1. SalfordCityBlue

SalfordCityBlue

Strange thread. He never blames the individual publicly - and he is exactly right. Our dominance should be turning into many more goals. He expects players who are among the best in the world to be able to do their job. Think the formation suits us personally - Sane didn't play well last night, it happens, but it wasn't the formation that made him have a bad game.

2. Wrighty Wrexham

Wrighty Wrexham

Yep I hate all this its cringe worthy he does it all the time the love in with Sanchez last season was embarrassing!

3. Big_Alan

Big_Alan

Probably appreciates strikers who take their chances...

4. Man_City_Loyal

Man_City_Loyal

There is a reason he's paid millions of pounds to manage a football team and people like me and you don't.

5. Wrighty Wrexham

Wrighty Wrexham

So you do not have a problem with him if he hugs lukaku after he scores a hat trick against us in the derby and we get stuffed 5 nil?

6. Murph

Murph

I agree, say what needs to be said but in private. Don't make the issue public all the time.

7. Moveonlife

Moveonlife

Let's talk about Pep in general. Wrong team slection yesterday cost us. I really do think he is overthinking with his team selection, and I feel he is making it difficult for himself with that 3 at the back bollocks. He saw that we struggled agaisnt Brighton, but didn't change it. Instead of trying to reinvent the game, I hope he will start thinking about the game and do the basics - 4 at the back. We have creative players in attack and should use them. NOT play with 5 defenders!!

8. pardoeofftomexico

pardoeofftomexico

Maybe congratulating a fellow professional on a remarkable achievement of scoring his 200th goal.

9. Easy

Easy

It makes the finishing much worse because players when presented with the opportunity to score think to themselves "don't miss", missing chances is all Pep talks about, putting even more pressure on the attackers.

When in a scoring position, the player should think "I will score this one" not "don't miss". It definitely effects them psychologically.

It started with Aguero and this season he transcended to Jesus who has missed some shocking chances this pre season and season.

It is obvious that Kun is over thinking and second guessing himself which is causing him to waste chances.

Pep should be encouraging the players to relax and score and not even use the words don't miss or you should of scored that and so on.

We saw it with Sterling miss the easy chance, score the tough one. Last game away Kun missed the sitter and scored the much harder chance.

It's all psychological IMO, it's the only explaination for me, the ability and quality of the players is there, most of them know where the net is and have been scoring goals for years.

10. Manchester1894

Manchester1894

If the manager asks Sane to play as a LWB then that's what he has to do! He's a winger, and at some point in the season, if Mendy is injured or suspended he'll be asked to do it again. If he proves he cannot do it, then I'm afraid Pep is going to say on to the bench you go. This is the ruthless side of Pep and Sane for all his talent might be resting on his laurels a tiny bit.. I don't think it will take much to get him going... a month I reckon.