Pep Guardiola - 2017/18 assessment

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by dave_blue12, 22 Aug 2017.

1. taleofbluehalves

taleofbluehalves

Agreed.

2. TheThirdDeano

TheThirdDeano

I have a theory that Pep was always doomed to failure at City.

Think about it, the man hailed as the best manager in all of football given free reign at the club, combined with some of the best facilites money can buy. Players that should be scoring for fun and tearing through defenders like soggy tissue, unlimated budget to sign the players he wants - All huge factors that would guarentee success at the scum/chelski/arsenal or anywhere else.

Unfortunately for him and us, City don't work like that.

3. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

I think it's down to the fact that the players are all trying really hard to implememt a system & are not relaxed in doing so.

If/when it settles down, the same players will score. A guaranteed method to make players hesitant in scoring, is to concede nothing goals at the other end, it puts far more weight on the shoulders of the attackers if they think they have no defence.

4. alternatively, it puts a lot of pressure on the defense when the forwards cant put it in the net. at the moment my finger is pointing at the forwards.

let me also point out the confidence gained by the opponents when they see we cant score a goal

5. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

Fair enough but it's a common factor, that forwrds get jittery in front of a weak defence. Not neccesarily the other way round. 0-0 to a defender, is a good days work & not their problem if the team doesn't score. 0-0 to strikers, is pressure.

6. dave_blue12

dave_blue12

The thread is to discuss Pep. I just kicked it off with his constant bemoaning our finishing which I believe to be counterproductive.

7. domalino

domalino

I think the problem is neither forwards nor defence, but midfield.

Without Yaya, Fernandinho is the pivot through which all our play flows. Except he's not a pivot and can't create, so KDB and/or Silva drop 5 yards deeper, and there's a gap between attacking midfield and strikers that's too big, it makes it almost impossible to create big, clear cut chances, and instead we create lots of half chances which the forwards might score if they were in great form, but they're not.

The quality of chances we've created in the first 2 league games compared to the preseason is really startling, and Yaya is the common denominator.

8. dave_blue12

dave_blue12

Whilst I'm not paid millions of pounds, I am paid to manage people and in any case what's a forum for if not expressing opinions ?

9. dave_blue12

dave_blue12

I don't think anyone is calling him a clown.

I'm over the moon he's our manager but like all of us he makes mistakes.

10. Blue Llama

Blue Llama

What's the difference if Pep tells Kun he is playing as a cb. According to you he has to do it.