Status
Not open for further replies.
I do answer the point myself. If a side wins forty odd matches over the course of the season, losing only 5 or 6 relevant matches, like Pep, this vindicates the approach clearly works, suits the players and so its a question of improving the current methodology, not changing.
Unfortunately for you, he adapted his plans to protect against what I was talking about. Awkward for you!

You’re not getting it though are you. Even the games that you perceive to be exceptions are in Peps mind not exceptional at all. He has the belief in his players and system to overcome the best out there. Over the course of 90 minutes all manner of incidents can occur that fuck us over. Individual errors leading to goals, poor officiating, not being clinical enough when it matters - all beyond the managers control. That’s just how the game goes sometimes and I think Pep acknowledges that and instead of changing his whole philosophy he chooses to work even harder on the system that has brought him unprecedented success over the years.
He did change though didn’t he! We had a much more solid defence and protection in front of it! I’m sure someone said that on here and you couldn’t quite get your head around it, I just can’t remember who the genius was!

I suppose you think yesterday’s performance wasn’t one with my re defensive considerations and protection than the defeats against Liverpool last year. Haha
nice to see you back again; I was getting worried. I trust we will hear from you a bit more regularly from now on, yeah? It was a more pragmatic performance yesterday, granted. But don't you think that, after quietening the initial onslaught, a little more conviction and we might have come away with the three points, missed penalty notwithstanding. By the way; care to share the joke ("Haha")? Also, a quick tip for you; "I told you so" type posts, particularly from someone who's hardly ever seen on here, don't come across as too clever.

Unfortunately for you, he adapted his plans to protect against what I was talking about. Awkward for you!

Nice to see you back and delighted you feel you are vindicated. Not a great look though.

Not awkward for me as I have posted I think we missed a trick not going for it more, although I appreciate other posters points of view, that we had to protect Mendy.

No he did not adapt his plans with regards to what you were talking about. You stated the issue was us pressing high and being picked off by Livepool playing through us, but actually losing the ball as we brought the ball out from the back and Liverpool hitting us on the transition was the issue in past matches. From what I saw we still built from the back and so that part of our play was unchanged and still pressed from the front.

You also stated Liverpool get everyone behind the ball as a solid unit even if that means defending deep.

Pool actually do what we do and defend from the front, high up the pitch, as like Pep they know winning the ball there is better from a defensive perspective, being away from the goal, but also from an attacking view as winning the ball there enables an immediate attack against less numbers.

We were more pragmatic pushing our fullbacks on but our tactic of winning the ball high up the pitch seemed unchanged which is what you stated was the underlying problem.

Last edited:
It's Pep's fault for tekkin' Sergio off before we get to the point where Atkinson is browned off at denying us one pen after another until the 85th min. Let it be a lesson! Or perhaps The TIme Lord knew that if Sergio was on the pitch it was a goal so the canute waits until he's subbed and the 'best' pen taker left of those who've ever taken one is the lad Mahrez!

Easy to say after the fact. I thought it was the right move. We needed Jesus' energy to help press and close down Liverpool while they were tired.

He has turned Stones and Sterling into truly class players and every single one of his players buy into his methods. Last season was incredible but to truly progress we need to see more performances like yesterday only with better play in the final third. Play like that and we will win the CL. If we can rest Fernandinho somehow we will reap the rewards later in the season. Jesus needs to find form too. Mahrez will come good from Jan onwards and De Bruyne instantly improves us.

He managed to make us more solid without losing an attacking threat and taking chances passing out from the back. Last season was great but I feel this could be even better.

nice to see you back again; I was getting worried. I trust we will hear from you a bit more regularly from now on, yeah? It was a more pragmatic performance yesterday, granted. But don't you think that, after quietening the initial onslaught, a little more conviction and we might have come away with the three points, missed penalty notwithstanding. By the way; care to share the joke ("Haha")? Also, a quick tip for you; "I told you so" type posts, particularly from someone who's hardly ever seen on here, don't come across as too clever.
Yeah, people on here seem far bigger fans of ripping into someone who suggests pep should adapt in particular circumstances... which he then did. And you wonder why I don’t spend my life on here!

Nice to see you back and delighted you feel you are vindicated. Not a great look though.

Not awkward for me as I have posted I think we missed a trick not going for it more, although I appreciate other posters points of view, that we had to protect Mendy.

No he did not adapt his plans with regards to what you were talking about. You stated the issue was us pressing high and being picked off by Livepool playing through us, but actually losing the ball as we brought the ball out from the back and Liverpool hitting us on the transition was the issue in past matches. From what I saw we still built from the back and so that part of our play was unchanged and still pressed from the front.

You also stated Liverpool get everyone behind the ball as a solid unit even if that means defending deep.

Pool actually do what we do and defend from the front, high up the pitch, as like Pep they know winning the ball there is better from a defensive perspective, being away from the goal, but also from an attacking view as winning the ball there enables an immediate attack against less numbers.

We were more pragmatic pushing our fullbacks on but our tactic of winning the ball high up the pitch seemed unchanged which is what you stated was the underlying problem.

I argued that winning the ball back quickly, rather than ensuring we have shape and have a solid defence was the wrong way to go about it. And we did adapt in line with that. We kept our shape by not endlessly sending men forward, getting out of a defensive shape and focussing 90% of our efforts on scoring.
If you want to say I was wrong then go for it but we both know the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.