Pep Guardiola - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part of the season, Pep has played us with a 4-2-3-1 that transits to a 3-4-3 with Cancelo coming into midfield and Stones/Dias/LB spread into a 3ATB. He hasn't played that since the first Dortmund game if my memory serves me right. For the past few games, he seem to have reverted to his 4-3-3, and we have been more vulnerable on counters and leaking at least 1 goal in each game since.

The 433, at least the way Pep plays it, exposes our centre backs alot. I feel it has made even Ruben Dias look vulnerable. Whether it's a conscious effort to revert or a result of rotation, time will tell.

IMO, the prior tactic (4231/343) is what got us the long streak of clean sheets and wins. For me, we should go back to it, even more so now that Kev is out.

Because we’ve won so many games by not doing that so pep deserves some credit.
Have we? I'm not saying we should go route one but in the league/FA Cup and League Cup how many times have we gone behind and won?
In the last 12- 18 months the only 1 I can think of is Cheltenham. When we go behind we never rally back.

For the most part of the season, Pep has played us with a 4-2-3-1 that transits to a 3-4-3 with Cancelo coming into midfield and Stones/Dias/LB spread into a 3ATB. He hasn't played that since the first Dortmund game if my memory serves me right. For the past few games, he seem to have reverted to his 4-3-3, and we have been more vulnerable on counters and leaking at least 1 goal in each game since.

The 433, at least the way Pep plays it, exposes our centre backs alot. I feel it has made even Ruben Dias look vulnerable. Whether it's a conscious effort to revert or a result of rotation, time will tell.

IMO, the prior tactic (4231/343) is what got us the long streak of clean sheets and wins. For me, we should go back to it, even more so now that Kev is out.
Dortmund second leg was similar with Zinchenko doing that in place of Cancelo. We look much more organised in that system. We did concede in both legs, but largely had control of the game and created chances. I think we will see that vs Villa and Spurs. Whether the rotation players can pick form is a different matter.

Have we? I'm not saying we should go route one but in the league/FA Cup and League Cup how many times have we gone behind and won?
In the last 12- 18 months the only 1 I can think of is Cheltenham. When we go behind we never rally back.
That's a problem regardless of competition with this side. We did well vs Dortmund, but we barely know how to respond to adversity. The league game vs United was a prime example of that. Went behind off early penalty and then did nothing afterwards.

We did it last Wednesday

If you were in Peps shoes what would you have done.
The competition he gets thrown at him time and time again is chumps league.
He keeps all his options open until something has to give.
If he had won yesterday great but it's timing isn't right.
If the chumps is his priority then the May fixtures are such that a full fixture list on cup final day so you will have to play Brighton midweek and Everton on the last weekend giving 6 days to prepare for the final should we get there.
Assuming Chelsea also get to chumps final which is possible they will have the Fa cup final then Leicester midweek, final fixture on the Sunday ( while going for top 4) then the chumps on the following Saturday.
Pep been telling us it's not possible, yes I'm gutted about yesterday but I'm a fan who wants it all.
If you think he will win the league by a massive amount then think again, he will make sure it will be won and won't risk the league for the chumps I'm sure.
He didn't send out a team to lose yesterday but knew if we were going to get to the final it had to be with the players he chose, if it had come off then great 1:0 wasn't a drubbing all things considered.
The Wednesday team will be based on getting the league title closer so in effect yesterday was second fiddle.
Don't worry about next week's final I think he will go pretty strong.
We must trust Pep to manage the risk and our rewards might be greater.

I don't suppose he'll come out and say much against this ESL in his next press conference? Too friendly with those in the boardroom to upset anything.
However, he has said consistently for 5 years now that the domestic league is the most important thing in football, so in a way he has to say something

I don't suppose he'll come out and say much against this ESL in his next press conference? Too friendly with those in the boardroom to upset anything.
However, he has said consistently for 5 years now that the domestic league is the most important thing in football, so in a way he has to say something
It's not impossible he walks in the summer. Especially if we win the CL. He will have achieved everything with us then and I can't see him being thrilled with this new footballing world.

Surely he must have had an inkling which way the game and our club were going when he signed the latest contract? This must have been in the pipeline for quite some period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.