Pep Guardiola - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it interesting in his post match presser he said we didn't start well with wingers wide so he switched it to have them inverted. I can only imagine this has to do with how Dortmund were defending. With Zinchenko and Walker on the wings and more men in the front line it seemed to pin Dortmund back and our midfielders could work the ball better to dominate the game. Amazing attention to detail.
I'm sure you mean playing narrower rather than inverted. I didn't see the press conference and didn't notice him make the change last night, but I can see that Zin and Walker didn't tuck into midfield too much and gave us width. Weirdly, having that system with attacking fullbacks caused us problems in the first quarter of the season because the ball kept ending up with Mendy and Walker who were wasting possession. Pep changed it then but I need to watch the game again to see when it happened and what difference this change made. More men in and around the opposition's penalty area I'm sure.

I found it interesting in his post match presser he said we didn't start well with wingers wide so he switched it to have them inverted. I can only imagine this has to do with how Dortmund were defending. With Zinchenko and Walker on the wings and more men in the front line it seemed to pin Dortmund back and our midfielders could work the ball better to dominate the game. Amazing attention to detail.
I noticed that happen. Foden was moved around 3m infield from the L wing allowing zinc to move forward and seemed to compress the Dortmund back line into the 6 yard box. I thought it made a huge difference. I didn’t really notice it as much in the R as I was struggling to determine mahrez’s instructions in the first 30.

I'm sure you mean playing narrower rather than inverted. I didn't see the press conference and didn't notice him make the change last night, but I can see that Zin and Walker didn't tuck into midfield too much and gave us width. Weirdly, having that system with attacking fullbacks caused us problems in the first quarter of the season because the ball kept ending up with Mendy and Walker who were wasting possession. Pep changed it then but I need to watch the game again to see when it happened and what difference this change made. More men in and around the opposition's penalty area I'm sure.
Actually I did mean inverted. To me an inverted winger starts off on the inside instead of wide on the wing before the ball actually gets to them rather than a wide winger starts off wide on the wing. Mahrez in most games is a regular wide winger. Even though he cuts inside when he gets the ball, he starts off wide on the touch line most times. This is when you see lots of times he gets the ball and when closed down he passes it back to the CB's or fullback. Pep also talks about this and it doesn't matter if they are on their strong foot or not they are wide wingers.
When the wingers invert the fullbacks will have to be the ones wide on the wings to hug the touchline. This means opposition defenders would have to mark them and the wingers would invert having more defenders mark them inside as well.

Actually I did mean inverted. To me an inverted winger starts off on the inside instead of wide on the wing before the ball actually gets to them rather than a wide winger starts off wide on the wing. Mahrez in most games is a regular wide winger. Even though he cuts inside when he gets the ball, he starts off wide on the touch line most times. This is when you see lots of times he gets the ball and when closed down he passes it back to the CB's or fullback. Pep also talks about this and it doesn't matter if they are on their strong foot or not they are wide wingers.
When the wingers invert the fullbacks will have to be the ones wide on the wings to hug the touchline. This means opposition defenders would have to mark them and the wingers would invert having more defenders mark them inside as well.
You’ve got it wrong mate I’m afraid. You’ve misunderstood what the word “inverted” means. An inverted winger is literally a winger on the opposite side to the one he should be on due to his foot preference. That’s what one is so last night Mahrez was inverted winger but Foden wasn’t.

I have to confess to being amused at your post but I don’t want to seem rude at what it clearly a genuine mistake.

You’ve got it wrong mate I’m afraid. You’ve misunderstood what the word “inverted” means. An inverted winger is literally a winger on the opposite side to the one he should be on due to his foot preference. That’s what one is so last night Mahrez was inverted winger but Foden wasn’t.

I have to confess to being amused at your post but I don’t want to seem rude at what it clearly a genuine mistake.
If I'm wrong that's fine. I will still call it that. When we talk about inverted fullbacks it's not because they are on the opposite side. It's because they start off inside and play in the midfield. So to me the same terminology applies to wingers.

If I'm wrong that's fine. I will still call it that. When we talk about inverted fullbacks it's not because they are on the opposite side. It's because they start off inside and play in the midfield. So to me the same terminology applies to wingers.
Yeah it's inconsistent, but generally with fullbacks the inversion relates to their width and lack thereof, whereas with wingers it's to do with the side they play on.

Although inverted wingers do generally end up coming inside a lot. So now it's even more confusing.

Yeah it's inconsistent, but generally with fullbacks the inversion relates to their width and lack thereof, whereas with wingers it's to do with the side they play on.

Although inverted wingers do generally end up coming inside a lot. So now it's even more confusing.
So when they come inside are they inverted, inverted wingers or wingers inverted2 :-)

Yeah that’s bit what inverted wingers means bud.

In a traditional sense I get it. I used to call Mahrez an inverted winger. However, now with Pep and his formations and how he talks about wingers wide (even with Mahrez) and his use of inverted fullbacks it gets confusing. So I just say Mahrez cuts inside now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.