Pep Guardiola - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We probably learned more about them yesterday than they us. All will be forgotten once we tie up the PL then beat them comprehensively for the CL.

I think our Paris boys deserved their day off yesterday. Tuesday was a huge game physically and emotionally, Paris put us under pressure and we had to work incredibly hard as well as the emotions of getting to the club’s first ever CL final.

Who’s to say we would have won with our full strength team? They might not have been mentally ready for that game, they might not have played well. What if we’d lost with our best team out? What would that have done ahead of the CL final?

Ive got no problem with the lineup chosen yesterday. That was a more expensive team put out than the team that played against Paris, there’s no reason or excuse for them playing so poorly. These are supposed to be £40-70m players, players who could have made Pep think he might have to include them in the CL final had they played well. I don’t think a single one of them did. But that’s not Pep’s fault.

I don’t agree that Pep doesn’t care but you are right about over rotation being the reason for the the last three home defeats.

He has went all in for the CL which is the right thing to do especially if we win it and the league. Obviously frustrating losing games because of over rotation when its not necessarily needed, Chelsea and United seem to play the same team even if they have 3 games a week.

Keeping a solid core or at least playing a similar system instead of going polar opposite would probably be more beneficial.

Again if we win what we hopefully will, noone will care anyway. We just want to win every game.

I don’t agree that Pep doesn’t care but you are right about over rotation being the reason for the the last three home defeats.
I agree with you Eastmanc.

Moreover, I think that Pep's recent selections have been strategic - long term thinking - not tactical - short term gain.

He's started a bunch of players in a different lineup - to learn, IMO. To learn more about what non-first-choice players have currently to offer in a game setting - to try out different formations - and to rest most of his first choice squad for when it really counts.

Yes, we've lost some games as a result - on the other hand, Pep has undoubtedly learned more about our players and about what formations may work (or not).

Pep is a perfectionist - there's nothing he does in football that isn't by precise design. It might not appear to work out - but it's absolutely been thought over very carefully... nay, meticulously.

I think our Paris boys deserved their day off yesterday. Tuesday was a huge game physically and emotionally, Paris put us under pressure and we had to work incredibly hard as well as the emotions of getting to the club’s first ever CL final.

Who’s to say we would have won with our full strength team? They might not have been mentally ready for that game, they might not have played well. What if we’d lost with our best team out? What would that have done ahead of the CL final?

Ive got no problem with the lineup chosen yesterday. That was a more expensive team put out than the team that played against Paris, there’s no reason or excuse for them playing so poorly. These are supposed to be £40-70m players, players who could have made Pep think he might have to include them in the CL final had they played well. I don’t think a single one of them did. But that’s not Pep’s fault.
I think yesterday pretty much cemented the PSG second leg line up as the team for the final. If that was an audition for those players then they shat the bed almost to a man

Pep is a perfectionist - there's nothing he does in football that isn't by precise design. It might not appear to work out - but it's absolutely been thought over very carefully... nay, meticulously.

I wish that applied to penalty kicks, for which we apparently have no strategy or policy whatsoever. Remember when Rodri just decided to take one and Pep seemed as surprised as anyone else? It's so odd. Surely our top handful of penalty takers should be designated and they should be getting coached on the opposition goalkeeper pre-game. Seems like a major oversight for a team that gets (and misses) as many penalties as we do

I wish that applied to penalty kicks, for which we apparently have no strategy or policy whatsoever. Remember when Rodri just decided to take one and Pep seemed as surprised as anyone else? It's so odd. Surely our top handful of penalty takers should be designated and they should be getting coached on the opposition goalkeeper pre-game. Seems like a major oversight for a team that gets (and misses) as many penalties as we do
Maybe - or, on the other hand, might it be better for the team, as a whole, to let the team decide who takes a penalty? Yes, we might miss an occasional penalty because of this - downside.

Upside though - the manager believes in us. In our decisions. Letting us decide who takes a penalty.
===
I don't feel strongly either way.

Why does he always say we played well? We were shite.
I think there was an element of hiding some tactics.

That said, they can hurt us and to everyone who seems convinced we take them with our best side, if you were a Chelsea fan you’d say we battered these without Havertz and Mount.

50/50 and they have the edge in pace, it’s a nightmare opponent, but we are the better team on paper, but we can’t carry any passengers, everyone has to be on it.

The maestro has buoyed Chelsea's confidence against us -they won't fear us going into the Final and that is huge.
He's emboldened the scum by his Leeds and Chelsea foolish selections. They will celebrate getting within touching distance of us even if they fall short.
Yesterday he did not look to me like a genius whose cunning plan to delay the coronation as Champions was going splendidly -he looked like a whacko who's home made bomb just exploded in his face.
Play your best 11 get it won then dick about .

I would be dangerous against Ben Mendy and Im 56 and about 5 stone overweight, he has lost any pace he had before his injuries. Surely he will be shipped out in the summer.

Come on Dave, you’d dazzle him with sidesteps and leave him in your wake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.