Pep - no signings coming in in January

There definitely won't be a knee jerk, permanent, signing...but surely there must be some opportunity for loan options. One of our Left Backs is an AM, one is a CM and we have no like for like Ferna cover.

Ferna can't play all the time and even if Pep can mitigate for not having a Ferna cover, trying to do that and fielding a midfielder for a LB is incredibly difficult.

Would city review it's transfer strategy or assume that our management are doing everything they can and don't need to review and be held accountable. My concern is that it would be the latter.

I think it's more that it is very hard to sign top players in January. Teams are mid season, likey still on various conpetitions, and our targets have probably made it clear, via agents and their clubs, that they are unwilling to do business in January. My fear would be more that this stance from clubs can change when cash is flashed, and others may view the need as more pressing than us, and beat us to the top targets.

Signing backups is not the way we want to go, quality wise and also the fact that pep knows an unresearched addition can easily unbalance a team spirit.

For the Fernandinho position we must have someone specific in mind otherwise we'd have moved for cover before now. We've seen recently how key this position is, having the physical attributes alongside the mentality to read the game, whilst not getting sucked into the DM mould for whole games, as this is useless to us in a match where we are having 75% possession.

Left back is a little more complicated, in theory we have five first team players who can play there, but only one is a natural left back. I expect Zinchenko, Delph and Danilo's futures need addressing before we make a decision there, and again we'd be looking at only top quality, or the potential to be top quality. Fast, attacking, great passer, strong, cool under pressure, that is only a handful of potential incomings anyway, and anyone doing that well right now is undoubtedly turning heads already in Europe.

I'd expect us therefore to wait until summer. But then expect us to have reserved around 100m for these two positions and no deals early, with maybe another 50m for a younger player also, or bank the balance knowing we need a Sergio and Dave replacement soon too. The wildcard could be if someone else of sufficient reputation moves for our primary targets in January, have we got enough room to move too and would we?

I think it's more that it is very hard to sign top players in January. Teams are mid season, likey still on various conpetitions, and our targets have probably made it clear, via agents and their clubs, that they are unwilling to do business in January. My fear would be more that this stance from clubs can change when cash is flashed, and others may view the need as more pressing than us, and beat us to the top targets.

Signing backups is not the way we want to go, quality wise and also the fact that pep knows an unresearched addition can easily unbalance a team spirit.

For the Fernandinho position we must have someone specific in mind otherwise we'd have moved for cover before now. We've seen recently how key this position is, having the physical attributes alongside the mentality to read the game, whilst not getting sucked into the DM mould for whole games, as this is useless to us in a match where we are having 75% possession.

Left back is a little more complicated, in theory we have five first team players who can play there, but only one is a natural left back. I expect Zinchenko, Delph and Danilo's futures need addressing before we make a decision there, and again we'd be looking at only top quality, or the potential to be top quality. Fast, attacking, great passer, strong, cool under pressure, that is only a handful of potential incomings anyway, and anyone doing that well right now is undoubtedly turning heads already in Europe.

I'd expect us therefore to wait until summer. But then expect us to have reserved around 100m for these two positions and no deals early, with maybe another 50m for a younger player also, or bank the balance knowing we need a Sergio and Dave replacement soon too. The wildcard could be if someone else of sufficient reputation moves for our primary targets in January, have we got enough room to move too and would we?
Dave been replaced with Bernie and Phil I reckon

Accountable to who?

The issue I was raising,for example to compare the same accountability to Pep and the team, it is easier to then analyse results/performances that speak for themselves and say yes things are going well. When people are possibly not accountable to others and you don't really know if it's FFP, not being able to get our targets or potentially is it that we could improve our approach, then I am suggesting it wouldn't be serving the club if this was the case.

Any City supporter should be fully grateful to have our management in place, but you can't say it wouldn't be beneficial to somehow review our strategy in some objective manner.

The issue I was raising,for example to compare the same accountability to Pep and the team, it is easier to then analyse results/performances that speak for themselves and say yes things are going well. When people are possibly not accountable to others and you don't really know if it's FFP, not being able to get our targets or potentially is it that we could improve our approach, then I am suggesting it wouldn't be serving the club if this was the case.

Any City supporter should be fully grateful to have our management in place, but you can't say it wouldn't be beneficial to somehow review our strategy in some objective manner.

Well, show us the strategy and we can all discuss objectively

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.