Pep on why we didn't replace Vinny

Pep is the greatest coach in the game and a bit of a problem caused by a loss of a CB without the immediate solution provided by signing a new CB will prove it. I remember the CL final of 2009 whereby his Barca team of smallish players, apart from a reserve called Yaya Toure, were up against an English team well versed in the physical game and having just celebrated their 19th title as proof of this type of game. The English media, rooting for an English success were left to celebrate their team as gaining something like 19% possession that evening with Pep's Barca going on to prove that ability and hard work was the key to success.

And that is where we stand right now. It isn't too far back in time that Pep said he would play ten midfielders if he could, the reason being that ability on the ball will mean his team could have 81% possession to do their work in, our opponents having little time to get a foothold in the game with what possession they have.

Only time will tell but Pep is no mug and I think we will be OK.

I don't really understand what the other option was, sign another 50-80 million centre back and keep them on the bench until we get a few injuries?

The key issue was cover for Fernandinho which we haven't had since Pep arrived.

Not with Bravo behind him.
agreed, but the funny thing is Bravo was playing fantastic while eddy was gone, a No.2 i am most happy with.
what isn't funny, or cleaver, is all these posts in all these threads about eddy playing as an out player.
whether people are serious or joking it doesn't matter, it's a boring waste of time.

Those who complain that it is a mistake not buying a centre back will also be the ones complaining that we don't give youth a chance. These are the best of times; sit back and enjoy the challenge.
very reasonable this, coupled with the other good posts about there is no way you can go out and buy the best two players at every position. Pep will have legislated for these and more injuries. Does anyone think that Pep is thinking that he is unlucky and what the hell do i do now? I hope not.
Enjoy, enjoy indeed.

Have we a space available in the squad if we were to buy another centre back without selling someone

I think Delph would be a great option to cover for Laporte, he is very versatile
and should easily be able to master the art of bi-location whenever required.
"Shitoy!"
images
images
images
images

Don't get me wrong, i agree completely.
I am just saying that i don't think as a club we saw this coming and as such were unable to react.
We had the whole summer transfer to react, furthermore, personally i think Vinny was never in Pep's plan for this year.
With Vinny's abundance of injury woes I think Vinny's leaving was a mutual decision between him and Pep well before the season ended. the anderlecht deal had to have been worked out well in advance of the end of the season to be able to be announced when it was.
this is on the basis of a post game interview after his return but before he scored the cracker vs the foxes. i will try to find it.
the reporter was really hyping vince's performance and Pep agreed but down played questions saying well vinny is getting older and Pep had an indifferent body language and tone in his speech.
though subtle, i picked it up and had a feeling then that Vinny would not be back.
Pep knew at that time vinny was going. I think we chose not to replace him or just didn't find the right deal, i trust what Pep does.

Last edited:
Can eddy play CB?

Not with Bravo behind him.

Eddy plays as a defender most of the time anyway :)

We have the option (in some games) to play 3 at the back and allow Edderson to play off his line to degree. i f****** hate it when we do that, but it does work. From what i have seen, Bravo has started to play that way more to (i guess that's the way Pep likes it) - and i f****** hate it even more when he does it!

i think Bravo deserves his place in the team, it's only against one or two teams where he's perhaps a little out of his depth, and on a rotation through the various championships / cups he is an absolute must. His saves v Wolves (season before last) at home to keep us in the Carabau cup, and his save against the dippers at Wembley prove he's the man to be on the line for pens.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking that Bravo’s contract is up at the end of the season?

Just looking at Muric tonight against England. Looks like his confidence has reduced somewhat since going to Forest and Forest have dropped him too.

I’ve not seen Daniel Grimshaw play. Anyone know what he’s like?

Thinking of how we line up next year for a number 2.

Pep Guardiola on signing a defender: "My advice to you is not to write too many names about the winter transfer window because you are going to make a mistake. I don't think it's going to happen. I heard already we are interested in this player or the other player.

"I would like to say to all the clubs don't be nervous, because we are not interested in any players or central defenders in Europe. We are going to survive with the players we have. Maybe in December we are going to start to think about it, maybe."

"If we could not invest in the summer, we cannot do it in winter. We are going to wait, with the two central defenders, with Fernandinho, with Eric Garcia and Taylor Harwood-Bellis, even some players in different positions we can use there."

Pep Guardiola on John Stones: "He's going to play incredible, while Laporte is not with us. The personality is always there. So there's a guy who in the first season made some mistakes and always try again and try again so I don't have doubts about his personality."

"The only problem when John Stones is sometimes I decide for Nico and sometimes for Vinnie. So that was the reason why and they know it. They have to compete with each other but the quality is there."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.