Pep's contract situation

In Pep’s first season we played like this. We had ageing players and some deadwood and he rejuvenated the side and he built an incredible team for 2017-18 and 2018-19 where we won 6 trophies, including two Premier League titles and broke records galore.

I think that alone (never mind his reputation) buys him more than enough time to build another great team this Summer coming for the seasons ahead.

Like when Yaya and Zaba were coming to their end; Kolarov, Clichy and Sagna needed replacing; and the likes of Nolito and Nasri weren’t doing the business. He built that 2017-18 and 2018-19 side.

Now Kompany has gone; Kun, Silva, Otamendi and Fernandinho are coming to their end; and we have problems with Mendy, Gundo, Rodri, Mahrez and Jesus not doing the business. Let’s see if he can build a team for the coming years!

It doesn’t always work in a successive flow. Keeping a good side a good side is one thing, maintaining the elite quality we’ve had for two years is another. With Liverpool being at the quality they are, it skews the demands on the team. In years gone by no teams have been as good as ours in the last two years and this Liverpool team. Us two are English football one-offs.

Ferguson had seasons where United dipped but then he rebuilt and went again but as good as some of his sides were or some of the Arsenal and Chelsea aides he faced, none of them are as good as we’ve been in the last two years or this Liverpool side.
I wouldn't rate Liverpool alongside us mate. They've won one trophy, they might make it two this year but that still doesn't put them up in the pantheon with our great team of 17-18 and 18-19 - nowhere near

I think a drop off was inevitable. It's only natural that the motivation and intensity wouldn't be the same after the last two incredible seasons.

Add in the new signings adapting to the system and a few players slightly past their best all compounded by key injuries.

Use the rest season to integrate Cancelo and Rodri into the team. Maybe give Bernardo a run in midfield to see if that's his best position.

Get rid of the players who aren't good enough in the summer (Stones, Otamendi etc.) and give Pep the funds he needs to freshen up the squad.

In Pep’s first season we played like this. We had ageing players and some deadwood and he rejuvenated the side and he built an incredible team for 2017-18 and 2018-19 where we won 6 trophies, including two Premier League titles and broke records galore.

I think that alone (never mind his reputation) buys him more than enough time to build another great team this Summer coming for the seasons ahead.

Like when Yaya and Zaba were coming to their end; Kolarov, Clichy and Sagna needed replacing; and the likes of Nolito and Nasri weren’t doing the business. He built that 2017-18 and 2018-19 side.

Now Kompany has gone; Kun, Silva, Otamendi and Fernandinho are coming to their end; and we have problems with Mendy, Gundo, Rodri, Mahrez and Jesus not doing the business. Let’s see if he can build a team for the coming years!

It doesn’t always work in a successive flow. Keeping a good side a good side is one thing, maintaining the elite quality we’ve had for two years is another.

Ferguson had seasons where United dipped but then he rebuilt and went again.

I completely agree that it's well within his capabilities to turn it around or carry out another rebuild in the summer but, if we're to compare the issue with the first season to this one, the current players that need phasing out aren't being and a lot of the issues emanate from players who don't need replacing.

David is playing every week regardless of physical condition when we have his alleged heir on thee bench every match, Fernandinho is an absolute freak and our most consistent player, Aguero has struggled for form in front of goal for the last couple of weeks but is still Aguero.

In his first season, he had to make do with the likes of Zabaleta, Sagna, Clichy and Kolarov at fullback alone. Those were all players well past their best and had no experience of playing his system whatsoever.

As others have said with regards to injuries, I'm not entirely convinced that our downturn in form is entirely personnel related.

I guess we'll see. I'm not even arsed about the league at this point, I just want to see an improvement on performances and several glaring issues being addressed.

we shouldnt be rebuilding a team every 3 years though. its not sustainable
Every team in every league of football has to rebuild the team every 3 or so years.

United are the team to look at from the last few decades at how they stayed so competitive at the top.

United’s 1993 team:
Schmeichel
Irwin Pallister Bruce Parker
Kanchelskis Keane Ince Giggs
Hughes Cantona

United’s 1996 team:
Schmeichel
Neville Pallister May Irwin
Beckham Keane Butt Giggs
Cole Contona

United’s 1999 team:
Schmeichel
Neville Stam Johnson Neville
Beckham Keane Scholes Giggs
Cole York

United’s 2002 team:
Bartez
Neville Ferdinand Brown Silvestre
Beckham Keane Veron Scholes Giggs
van Niistelroy

United’s 2007 team:
van der Saar
Neville Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Carrick Hargreaves
CRonaldo Scholes Giggs
Rooney

Every 3 or 4 years (granted there is a 5 year gap between those last two) around half of their starting team were different. But you can look at West Ham or Valencia or anyone and see the same thing.

I have no words if you really believe that
Leroy is a great player, my favourite in fact, but last year Pep didn't play him much. We have Bernie, Raheem, Mahrez and GJ who can play wide, when Kun is playing.
No other side has those sort of options.
Laporte's absence is another matter, as Stones and Otamendi have not stepped up to the plate.
But we found a way to win 4 trophies last year mainly without Kevin.
I think the players are just tired after the last two years, mentally as much as physically.

We'll more than likely be joint third in the league tomorrow and eleven points off the top with no sign whatsoever of improving.

We also qualified in a piss easy group with the latest two performances being generally shit so I'm not really counting that as an achievement.

Erm, okay?
No it's fine mate, you and your rainclouds keep posting, I'll sit here pissing myself laughing having a drink from my half full cup.

Leroy is a great player, my favourite in fact, but last year Pep didn't play him much. We have Bernie, Raheem, Mahrez and GJ who can play wide, when Kun is playing.
No other side has those sort of options.
Laporte's absence is another matter, as Stones and Otamendi have not stepped up to the plate.
But we found a way to win 4 trophies last year mainly without Kevin.
I think the players are just tired after the last two years, mentally as much as physically.
You say Sané didn’t play that much last season, however he only had 6 fewer Prem starts than the season before and scored the same amount of goals (10). And although he had fewer assists (10 v 15) he had a better overall goals+assists per minute ratio last season than the season before.

He played in 3 fewer CL games last season compared to the season before but scored 4 goals and got 4 assists compared to 0 goals and 2 assists the year before.

He also added an improvement in shooting from outside the box in general and from free kicks last season.

I think we’re really missing him.

You say Sané didn’t play that much last season, however he only had 6 fewer Prem starts than the season before and scored the same amount of goals (10). And although he had fewer assists (10 v 15) he had a better overall goals+assists per minute ratio last season than the season before.

He played in 3 fewer CL games last season compared to the season before but scored 4 goals and got 4 assists compared to 0 goals and 2 assists the year before.

He also added an improvement in shooting from outside the box in general and from free kicks last season.

I think we’re really missing him.

It was the run in where he didn't play much. In the last 15 games in the league I think he started 5.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.