Pep signs new deal until 2023!

cityblue123

No it is as far as the title goes .
In all honesty I'm sure you didn't expect to win the title this year. So many players, good players have either left or retired in the last few years along with injury. We are in a process of rebuild, it won't happen overnight. Some of the signing in my opinion have been average to say the least but it's difficult to replace the likes of komps, Silva, sane, fernandinho and aguero, the last 2 injured or reaching the end of there careers. Patience!

argyle

Find Fernandinho mk2 and a lot of the problems go away for me, he was that important to us. I'm still gutted he's not capable anymore. I think he was the key for us.

Agree 100%.

Since he moved out of central midfield its where our problems started.

Our current defensive midfield two dont link up with our attackers as well, nor protect the back nor do they win the ball back quickly and sniff our danger when our fowards lose the ball.

bluealf

I agree with those who say we need to gut midfield and finally sort the left back and striker(s) out. In order to do that, we need a big chequebook as the quality of player we need is not cheap. We need to bring in 3 or 4 world class players - we're talking Mbappe, Benzema, Griezman, Felix etc here not more players for the future.

However, there's a big elephant in the room for me in how we've let the squad evolve.

For the quality of the players we've had over the last decade, we've made next to nothing on them. Obviously there's been the poor signings like Mangala, Bony etc who didn't work out, but the top class players we've had have mainly left for nothing or for pitiful amounts:

Hart - free, Kompany - free, Lescott - free, Zabaleta - free, Silva - free, Yaya - free, Nasri - £3m, De Jong - £3m, Barry - free, Fernandinho - likely free, Aguero - likely free. Balotelli - £18m, Bellamy - free, Dzeko - £10m. Milner - free, Tevez - free, Clichy - free. Johnson - £10m.

That squad now would win the title today, no problem and is better than the one we have now. But we made less than £50m or so from them once they left the club. It's not sustainable. We either have to make other clubs pay more - not easily done because of the wages - or we look at selling them before they go too far over the hill. Players like Walker and KdB are 30+ or so now and at the moment we could probably get £160m now for the pair... or nothing in 3-4 years time. Bernardo Silva was probably worth £100m a couple of years ago, but we'd not get anywhere near that now.

Now I'm not saying we should be selling players in their prime, but we have to start planning all this a bit better. It's no good holding on to a player until they retire as they play less games and lose their legs. We need to look at moving them on to bring some money back into the team so we can reinvest in their younger replacement.
Bought them young and they stayed for years, we aren't in the business of buying to sell for profit at a later date but that being said we received fees for some you have listed as free.

What more do you want from the likes of VK- 8m, 11 years, Zab- 6m, 10 years, Silva-24m 10 years and the others we had them until they were passed their best Yaya, Fernie, Lescott, Hart (we got 3.5m btw) Balotelli.

Out of all those who left, who really improved their career, Milner the traitorous gobshite who you couldn't have got to sign a contract if you tried and the other was Dzeko who wanted first team football and I agree the fee for him was ridiculous due to the number of goals he scored but probably due to the length of his contract?

Tevez (we got 12m btw) Also had a decent spell at Juventus.

As for selling players off when they reach 30 that is just ludicrous, would you have wanted Silva or VK to have left then?

hilts

He Literally said yesterday we will have to find a new way to play and it's MY responsibility to find solutions.
Last year we scored 100+ goals. This year we are not scoring goals. Something is stuck . The team and coach are going through rough patches. It happens and I hope they overcome it.

That usually means we are going to buy another 5 foot 7 technical midfielder:-)

SilvaisSkyBlue

Great , so as long as Pep's is here we have a great chance , thanks for the good news

Same as you fella, hope we try and get Mbappe when he is available.

Just remember that article and IMO he will end up in Spain, but then football finances in that country are on its arsé so maybe we will be one of the few who can actually finance that type of deal.

Mancityus

Pep plans have become so predictable to the opposition and every team seems to have a way to counter them.

Except one - Pep keeps asking for 5 subs but does not even use 3 and even the one's he does seem to be reluctantly around 80 minute mark.

I would have thought he would be campaigning to remove the sub rule asking all to use only starting eleven through the game come what may.

Akpowell

Team supported
Manchester City
Its since his new number two has been here
He Literally said yesterday we will have to find a new way to play and it's MY responsibility to find solutions.
Last year we scored 100+ goals. This year we are not scoring goals. Something is stuck . The team and coach are going through rough patches. It happens and I hope they overcome it.

Don't have an account?

Register now!
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.