Pep signs new contract until 2025 (p 1262)

It’s becoming a more accepted opinion now but honestly Pep is done at City, it’s over. There were a few comments in some player interviews last season, one by KDB, where reading between the lines you could tell the feeling of bemusement at Pep’s decisions is firmly rooted within the players too. And once that sets in, times up I’m afraid. I love him, but not so blindly that I can’t see when it’s time for change. Signing a 1 year extension won’t alter our course, it would only extend it.
Sadly I think there is truth in this. For me Pep is a genius but in modern football no manager can maintain the sort of levels we have seen for sustained periods. Teams have got wise to the way we play. Football has always been about evolution and requires constant change. Whatever happens I believe Pep will go down as our greatest ever manager.
I remain optimistic for the future. We have some fantastic young players in all areas and it will be exciting watching Foden, Torres, Laporte, etc develop into world class players. I still think we can win the title this season in a crazy wide open race. I also believe we will find a great replacement when Pep decides to go (probably this summer)

We have had these debates many times before and from memory it always ends with the manager leaving. Let’s hope Pep is the exception and can turn around this poor 15 month period.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up though.

Because most of your points regarding Pep come down to you not rating him and being stuck in the past.

He clearly is stuck in the past with his 2008 tactics which offer little incision once the league knows what to expect.

He needs to watch how other teams play and adapt or die.

Having witnessed the end of our last 7 or 8 managers via the prism of Bluemoon I can assure you that nothing has changed ;)

The difference now though is that with all those previous managers, the possibility of getting an upgrade existed but this time all you can do is get someone different but someone who I am 99.99999999999999999999999999999% confident will be a downgrade.

Pep is the best manager this club has had. The team that won 198 points in two seasons and won every domestic trophy in one season is probably the best we will ever witness as City supporters. It is a team that is not given the full respect it deserves because it didn't win the UCL.

Another manager will hopefully get the UCL monkey off the club's back at some point but they won't manage a domestic quadruple (they can feel free to prove me wrong).

So what's be biggest risk, giving our best ever manager, the guy who also, in my and plenty of other people's opinion, produced the greatest club side in history, some time and cash to create another great side or appoint someone who will not go down in history as one of the greatest sports team managers ever?

I mean, for example, Poch is available and he won's the square root of fuck all so that sounds like a great move to replace Pep with him.

Last edited:
He clearly is stuck in the past with his 2008 tactics

This is just such a weird cliche and I have no idea where it's come from. Let's not forget that these "2008 tactics" are the ones that helped him win the league in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019.

The "Pep's tactics are outdated" argument seems to have only come about since we didn't win the league title last season.

Whatever the reasons for it not working right now, I don't think it's because the rest of the world finally decided after eleven years to move on. Wherever he ends up next, he'll do a terrific job.

At what point does the statement about no pre season cease to be a factor or are we stuck with it all year?

We've played enough surely by now to be fully fit and raring to go!

He clearly is stuck in the past with his 2008 tactics which offer little incision once the league knows what to expect.

He needs to watch how other teams play and adapt or die.
The 2008 tactics that broke records and won unprecedented domestic slam just 15 months ago. The tactics many posters think we’ve strayed from as part of the problem. Don’t think we need to look to other teams tactics to copy.
I don’t think not changing tactics are the issue, it’s partly fitness of key players, mainly our 2 strikers at present. If Peps getting anything wrong in my opinion it’s playing Gundogan and Rodri together not sure what he’s seeing there, and would like to see KDB and Bernardo or Foden as the two forward mids.
That said a consistent striker playing the start of this season whether a fit Aguero or fit Jesus some of those missed chances converted we’d probably be on 10 or 12 points with a game in hand.

At what point does the statement about no pre season cease to be a factor or are we stuck with it all year?

We've played enough surely by now to be fully fit and raring to go!
No pre season isn’t just about fitness it’s about resting then conditioning and tactics. It will be a factor all season because they’ll be playing twice a week all year. Not just for us though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.