Pep's contract situation

I think we need to remind ourselves that seasons 2017-8 and 2018-9 were unprecedented and I still have to pinch myself to believe it was City, the successor of typical City, that set so many records. Our expectations changed overnight and 81 points in a season is disappointing. We cannot, surely, expect 100 points every season or a domestic treble as a minimum! It is likely that "we will have to make do with" less, especially as, just like our nearest neighbour, we are actually "in transition". Ya Ya, Zaba, Vinnie and David have already gone from a squad that dominated a decade and what a hole they left! Sergio and Ferna will follow soon and before that their role will be reduced thanks to Old Father Time - two more irreplaceables. That makes one hell of a rebuild necessary for the club. And who would be trust more than anyone else if it isn't the genius that took an ageing squad and turned them into the Centurions and the Fourmidables.
I know we spent a lot of money assembling those players and it certainly looked like we got value for money. But do we get value for money now?

A bit like the rags who always had to pay extra for players we seem to be in a position where building the next great team is going to involve some record transfers, which is something our board have been guarded about doing. The decision is do we spend that big or do we not build the next great team?

I’m very chilled trust me mate just discussing the football, seen it all from the late 70s on. Never seen the point in denial though we ain’t in charge on here what will be will be. Let’s hope we click soon and go on a run with decent football.
It’s a strange season no doubt about it and if last season wasn’t a disappointment in terms of results and football I wouldn’t be concerned. It has been a while since we have been at it consistently and it’s a worry.

Anyone who watches sport knows what a decline looks like so for people to dismiss this out of hand is pretty odd. I have never said I am definately right that would be daft but that works both ways.

Let’s see where we are at the half way stage but there is a catch 22 on here played by the clappers, say it early(if a season and a chunk of this one can be viewed as early) and you’re negative, say it when it’s become apparent to most and it’s hindsight. See every pre match thread for an example.

Just to clarify I really really hope I’m wrong on Pep because there is no guarantee with a new manager. If he is staying I do wish he would get on with it though:-)
I actually agree with much of what you say hilts. i believe Pep will sign the extension, which will precipitate the arrival of Messi, as long as Kun extends as well...
Pep is simply the best in the world for me, what he has delivered for us is incredible and only the 'entitled' ones dont see this, they just want another 'shiny toy', which i will guarantee, will not be as good as the 'toy' we already have!!!
I trust in the club and Pep, they will deliver once again, mark my words!!

I actually agree with much of what you say hilts. i believe Pep will sign the extension, which will precipitate the arrival of Messi, as long as Kun extends as well...
Pep is simply the best in the world for me, what he has delivered for us is incredible and only the 'entitled' ones dont see this, they just want another 'shiny toy', which i will guarantee, will not be as good as the 'toy' we already have!!!

I hope you are right, those 2 seasons were brilliant not that he or the team got as much credit as deserved. If I’m wrong and you get me tickets for the Masters I shall buy you a drink or 10 to celebrate. I’ll even throw in a steak dinner:-)

I know we spent a lot of money assembling those players and it certainly looked like we got value for money. But do we get value for money now?

A bit like the rags who always had to pay extra for players we seem to be in a position where building the next great team is going to involve some record transfers, which is something our board have been guarded about doing. The decision is do we spend that big or do we not build the next great team?
I think we do. I don't think we can grumble about Sterling and de Bruyne, Walker and Laporte played key roles in the centurions season and are still doing so, Sane gave us a great season and then a profit, Bernardo was player of the season in the treble season, Torres looks a great prospect and a real talent and I don't think we'd raise to many questions about Dias or Ake. There have been players who weren't value for money but I think relatively few and nothing to compare with our neighbours. It's also worth bearing in mind that we got Vinnie for a snip and we didn't overpay for Ya Ya, David or Sergio, though there was a premium on wages. Since 2008 value for money has always been important for City and the club has "walked away" from deals which didn't represent value. I don't think I can think of a case where we have been wrong.

If Pep does decide it is time to leave it will be a sad day but wouldn't say no to Luis Enrique.

Believe...Messi...simply the best...entitled...shiny toy... I trust...

Yeah, certainly words to mark.

I think we do. I don't think we can grumble about Sterling and de Bruyne, Walker and Laporte played key roles in the centurions season and are still doing so, Sane gave us a great season and then a profit, Bernardo was player of the season in the treble season, Torres looks a great prospect and a real talent and I don't think we'd raise to many questions about Dias or Ake. There have been players who weren't value for money but I think relatively few and nothing to compare with our neighbours. It's also worth bearing in mind that we got Vinnie for a snip and we didn't overpay for Ya Ya, David or Sergio, though there was a premium on wages. Since 2008 value for money has always been important for City and the club has "walked away" from deals which didn't represent value. I don't think I can think of a case where we have been wrong.
I completely agree with all that, but at some point we will have to replace Aguero, it will have to be either big money or a less certain punt on a less well known player. If we keep walking away others will take advantage.

Our rivals would piss ourselves if we hired the bottler that is Rodgers.

Can you imagine Brendan Rodgers lifting the CL trophy? You'd have to be pretty optimistic if so.

Allegri plays defensive football which is no go for our board, rightly so.

Pochettino or Nagelsmann, no body else really.

Agree re Bodgers but after the Lyon debacle I’m not too convinced about Pep and the UCL.

Would Ferguson still churn sterling out if he wasn't delivering? We are going backwards

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.