Pep signs new contract until 2025 (p 1262)

For all those people that think Pep is the best manager in the world and we can’t replace him. Remember it is a big world. Name the top 3 managers in Chile. The top 2 in Mexico. The top 6 in Spain. The top 4 in Germany. Etc etc. What? You can’t do it without google? Yep. That’s cos there are a lot of people out there who I imagine no one on Bluemoon knows of. The football under Pep was/is brilliant to watch. But it is not at present. It is turgid. He may turn it around, but if not it is not the end of the world - most managers would love to come to City - currently we have the pick of virtually anyone in the world

The difference now though is that with all those previous managers, the possibility of getting an upgrade existed but this time all you can do is get someone different but someone who I am 99.99999999999999999999999999999% confident will be a downgrade.

Pep is the best manager this club has had. The team that won 198 points in one season and won every domestic trophy in one season is probably the best we will ever witness as City supporters. It is a team that is not given the full respect it deserves because it didn't win the UCL.

Another manager will hopefully get the UCL monkey off the club's back at some point but they won't manage a domestic quadruple (they can feel free to prove me wrong).

So what's be biggest risk, giving our best ever manager, the guy who also, in my and plenty of other people's opinion, produced the greatest club side in history, some time and cash to create another great side or appoint someone who will not go down in history as one of the greatest sports team managers ever?

I mean, for example, Poch is available and he won's the square root of fuck all so that sounds like a great move to replace Pep with him.
I knew we were good but 198 points in one season?!?

A very good manager is always able to adapt his training ideas. This has just not happening under Pep. We are still playing the same way as when Pep first came here. There has been no new ideas no change in our style of playing.

Then there's his shocking lack of bringing in players where they are needed. Firstly there is his lack of getting a CB when Vincent Kompany left. Then there's his lack of bringing in a C.F. when it was obvious that one was desperately need.

So should Pep be given a new contract, in IMO no it's time he left. That is unless he can come up with a totally different way of playing. Plus starts to bring in the players that we need. Which means a C.F. In January, if Pep fails to do this then Pep should not be given a new contract.

He clearly is stuck in the past with his 2008 tactics which offer little incision once the league knows what to expect.

He needs to watch how other teams play and adapt or die.

Which teams?

Only really Bayern seem to be at the peak of their powers at the moment with Liverpool dropping off a little bit.

He's had a tough time with key players being injured so it's not all his fault we've been on a bit of decline. I mean, how can you legislate for players missing open goals, playing shit all of a sudden and making defensive mistakes. We can all see his frustration with the players when they mess up. He demands perfection. So, yes to a contract extension please Pep.

At what point does the statement about no pre season cease to be a factor or are we stuck with it all year?

We've played enough surely by now to be fully fit and raring to go!
At what point do we stop to consider the injuries we've had this season and players deciding they need a barn door instead of regular size goal posts.

Why ? None of them will be playing every 3/4 days before christmas, just every 6/7/8.

The real problem at the moment is injuries, we don't have a settled defence, we've been playing an unfit striker or no striker, and the midfield has missed it's best player, and when he returned yesterday, he looked like a shadow of the player we need.

Nothing to do with ruthlessness, it's all to do with having to rotate the fit players to play ever 3/4 days for 4 months.
Why didn't he rotate in Foden and/or Torres for the weekend especially after their impressive cameos at midweek ? Why Garcia plays when he he clearly doesn't want to stay here anymore ?

They're managing it really really badly then. It is in absolutely nobody's interests that questions regarding Pep's future should dominate whilst the season is ongoing. And they are absolutely going to dominate the narrative moving forward.

It's also worth noting the players are absolutely in the dark about what Pep plans on doing next. I'm not sure again, just how conducive that is to getting the best out of them.

It was always going to be the case this season IMO, that if results/performances weren't good enough the uncertainty around Pep's personal future would become a serious issue. I fear we're heading in that direction.
You simply can't have a manager going into the last year of his contract, however good he is.

A manager demands loyalty from his players, how can players repay that loyalty, when the manager himself might not be here in 7 months time.

Also talk of waiting to see if Messi signs before committing to an extension is insulting to the rest of the dressing room.

He clearly is stuck in the past with his 2008 tactics which offer little incision once the league knows what to expect.

He needs to watch how other teams play and adapt or die.
His 2008 tactics were to play 433 and press like hell from the front, win it back within 5 seconds.

His 2020 tactics are to squeeze Gundogan and Mahrez in however he can, play 4231, don’t press, have no pace, no tempo and just constantly recycle the ball square and backwards.

His 2008 tactics haven’t suddenly become ineffective. He’s just inexplicably stopped playing them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.