Pep signs new contract until 2025 (p 1262)

Pep has to start playing our academy players sooner than later otherwise there is no point in having an academy, especially an academy like ours. Any manager can spend big money on players and Pep has squandered a lot on several duffers. If I was Khaldoon I wouldn't allow Pep another penny unless he has given our youngsters a chance to play in meaningful games. And I'd start by dropping Rodri for Tommy Doyle against Burnley. Great managers manage to integrate youth with experience without much of a difference in performances and results. All Guardiola has done this far has thrown big money at a problem.

The academy has been open almost 6 years now and only one player has broke into the first team and remained part of the squad. One player and that is Phil Foden and it took 72 minutes for Pep to bring on after scoring a brace for England! Foden is bang on form for England yet still cannot get a regular start for us!

Seeing as this season is regarded as a transitional period I think Pep has to give youth a try before reaching for the chequebook yet again in either buying the ready made product or buying someone else's up and coming players.

Although Pep Guardiola is a brilliant tactition and man manager it has always been with the benefit of having a huge transfer kitty to buy players. I want to see him successfully integrate our academy players into the first team squad and nurture them into world class players. That truly is the mark of an exceptional manager and something that is lacking thus far in Guardiola's managerial career.
Not sure I’d be starting academy boys away to Burnley in what is now a must win game.
Personally I hope the club tell Pep to spend what he wants, the key is sorting our problems- striker, DM and LB

Nice that pep has been on record to say he knows things have to change tactically and players wise, at least he’s thinking about it.

a bit late mind, but better that than never!

Pep has to start playing our academy players sooner than later otherwise there is no point in having an academy, especially an academy like ours. Any manager can spend big money on players and Pep has squandered a lot on several duffers. If I was Khaldoon I wouldn't allow Pep another penny unless he has given our youngsters a chance to play in meaningful games. And I'd start by dropping Rodri for Tommy Doyle against Burnley. Great managers manage to integrate youth with experience without much of a difference in performances and results. All Guardiola has done this far has thrown big money at a problem.

The academy has been open almost 6 years now and only one player has broke into the first team and remained part of the squad. One player and that is Phil Foden and it took 72 minutes for Pep to bring on after scoring a brace for England! Foden is bang on form for England yet still cannot get a regular start for us!

Seeing as this season is regarded as a transitional period I think Pep has to give youth a try before reaching for the chequebook yet again in either buying the ready made product or buying someone else's up and coming players.

Although Pep Guardiola is a brilliant tactition and man manager it has always been with the benefit of having a huge transfer kitty to buy players. I want to see him successfully integrate our academy players into the first team squad and nurture them into world class players. That truly is the mark of an exceptional manager and something that is lacking thus far in Guardiola's managerial career.
Academy is just for making tidy profit. We will make tidy profit on Doyle Delap Palmer Braaf and that would be a success while spending another £300m

Academy is just for making tidy profit. We will make tidy profit on Doyle Delap Palmer Braaf and that would be a success while spending another £300m
Sadly we could've done with Sancho playing for us. I hope I don't have to say that about Foden. I also think Doyle will bring more to that DM position than Rodri. Palmer seems like a very intelligent player. Delap is apparently the 'real deal' and Braaf is supposed to be the next Sane.

The profit we've made from previous academy prospects was because they were not up to our standards. I think after the Bournemouth game Pep said he finally has academy prospects:

Pep Guardiola said: "When we arrived [in 2016], we had Jadon Sancho, Phil Foden - there were good players, But right now, we have a good generation. Taylor, Tommy Doyle, Cole, Felix Nmecha, Braaf, Delap - there are six, seven interesting players – James McAtee, too!"

Which means he is planning to play them.

Not sure I’d be starting academy boys away to Burnley in what is now a must win game.
Personally I hope the club tell Pep to spend what he wants, the key is sorting our problems- striker, DM and LB
We're at home to Burnley on Saturday pal: )

So when do we start to give our youngsters starts in games, or do we not bother? Tommy Doyle is an excellent prospect who could be our longterm holding DM because Rodri certainly won't be the way he's playing. Throwing money at other clubs for their best young players is starting to piss me off when we have several youngsters ourselves. It is disrespectful to our academy staff and young players who patiently wait their chance only to have their nose pushed out because we can go out and blow another 62 mil on some other foreign player not cut out for the PL.

People go on about Pep being the greatest ever manager, fuckin' lol. When he has hung around here long enough and brought half a dozen through from the academy winning trophies regularly (like Fergi did) then he may go up a few notches towards being the games greatest manager. Until then he'll struggle to shed the term 'chequebook manager' that opposition fans have given him.

It's no wonder Sancho left to further his career, and Sane will certainly get more starts with Munich than he will with us.

Clubs usually blood a few youngsters in the early rounds of the domestic cups but we're not really seeing much of any of them. Ok we have a few in the match day squad bit I can't recall many who have been given a proper chance apart from Foden and he isn't holding a starting place down just yet. I thought Delap would be given a chance seeing as Aguero and Jesus were injured. The lad scored on his debut against Bournemouth and hasn't played since. Oh, but he's not old enough. He's only 17 so we must wrap him in bubble wrap and put him back on the shelf as not to burn him out. Lol. Rooney was banging them in at 17 and I'm not talking about banging grannies!; )

'If they are good enough they are old enough'...

Last edited:
We're at home to Burnley on Saturday pal: )

So when do we start to give our youngsters starts in games, or do we not bother? Tommy Doyle is an excellent prospect who could be our longterm holding DM because Rodri certainly won't be the way he's playing. Throwing money at other clubs for their best young players is starting to piss me off when we have several youngsters ourselves. It is disrespectful to our academy staff and young players who patiently wait their chance only to have their nose pushed out because we can go out and blow another 62 mil on some other foreign player not cut out for the PL.

People go on about Pep being the greatest ever manager, fuckin' lol. When he has hung around here long enough and brought half a dozen through from the academy winning trophies regularly (like Fergi did) then he may go up a few notches towards being the games greatest manager. Until then he'll struggle to shed the term 'textbook manager' that opposition fans have given him.

It's no wonder Sancho left to further his career, and Sane will certainly get more starts with Munich than he will with us.

Clubs usually blood a few youngsters in the early rounds of the domestic cups but we're not really seeing much of any of them. Ok we have a few in the match day squad bit I can't recall many who have been given a proper chance apart from Foden and he isn't holding a starting place down just yet. I thought Delap would be given a chance seeing as Aguero and Jesus were injured. The lad scored on his debut against Bournemouth and hasn't played since. Oh, but he's not old enough. He's only 17 so we must wrap him in bubble wrap and put him back on the shelf as not to burn him out. Lol. Rooney was banging them in at 17 and I'm not talking about banging grannies!; )

'If they are good enough they are old enough'...

Me not knowing if home or away shows my level of interest this year.
I share many of your views, but really are they good enough at the moment to be all available and used in the first team on a regular basis, I’m not convinced. Certainly 15 years ago they’d all be starters, but less pressure then.

I would love it if we developed a first team full of local academy boys, as you say Peps challenge I suppose

Last edited:
Me not knowing if home or away shows my level of interest this year.
I share many of your views, but really are they good enough at the moment to be all available and used in the first team on a regular basis, I’m not convinced. Certainly 15 years ago they’d all be starters, but less pressure then.

I would love it if we developed a first team full of local academy boys, as you say Peps challenge I suppose
Good question, and a question we won't know the answer to unless players are tried in competitive games against decent opposition. I'm sure not all will make it, more pressure nowadays like you say. But players coming through in a batch has happened before. We brought several through around 85/6 and the rags had their Busby babes and class of 92. Liverpool were famous for bringing youth through in the 70/80s. Everyone is talking about signing Haaland. He's doing great and ticking all the boxes of a top striker. But I'd love to see how good Delap is this season for us. Too easy to go and keep throwing big money around to solve a problem. It's a good job our owners are loaded because a hell of a lot of money has been wasted on players since they came.

Good question, and a question we won't know the answer to unless players are tried in competitive games against decent opposition. I'm sure not all will make it, more pressure nowadays like you say. But players coming through in a batch has happened before. We brought several through around 85/6 and the rags had their Busby babes and class of 92. Liverpool were famous for bringing youth through in the 70/80s. Everyone is talking about signing Haaland. He's doing great and ticking all the boxes of a top striker. But I'd love to see how good Delap is this season for us. Too easy to go and keep throwing big money around to solve a problem. It's a good job our owners are loaded because a hell of a lot of money has been wasted on players since they came.
Can’t disagree, and reckon the majority of fans would prefer to see 3 academy boys replace Mahrez, gundy and Fernandinho (hard to type that) in the first instance and see how they do.

Personally I reckon it’s likely to happen sooner than we all thing as Pep evolves dealing with the constant 10 man block. Here’s hoping

I hear what‘s said in public but actions speak louder than words.

Even after last season’s COVID restart, when the League was long lost, the youngsters other than Foden were hardly given a run-out. And if hadn’t been for top 4 being more or less in the bag, and Foden grabbing his opportunity by the scruff of the neck, how much would we have seen of Phil?

Unfortunately, there’s also pressure to avoid pissing off established fringe players by playing them in “easier” games - depending on their faces. In fairness there is balance to be struck but a bit more towards our academy prospects would be welcome. It might even avoid another £50m signing in the not too distant future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.