Pep's contract situation

Weird that Pep mentioned the World Cup
Perhaps related to Luis Enrique’s situation with Spain?
He would be the most natural no-brainer successor
Still pretty sure that three year extension is just awaiting his autograph. The new young team will revitalise him
Luis Enrique isn't a bad manager, but he has too bad of a decision making to be Pep's successor. His performance as a manager in 2016-17 Barcelona is easily one of the worst I have saw in my life. The guy was destroyed over and over again. Also, in his entire run as Barcelona manager, I don't remember him making one good signing. From Winter 2014 to Winter 2016, just bad signings. Of course, he wasn't alone on it, but was a huge part of it.
I think the best possible successor for Guardiola is Graham Potter.

He did a superb job at Spurs, come on, they were a shambles and he nearly won the title and the Champions league, he built a team from nothing and made decent players, great.

The black mark is very much PSG and that dressing room, either he did not have the courage or he was not given the authority to sort it out.

Enrique is the obvious and sensible choice but time will tell and hopefully will be irrelevant and Pep stays but I am starting to have my doubts about that sadly.

Pep's family situation is the telling factor in this, unless that is not all it seems.

I don’t agree mate - in my opinion, the failure of the 15/16 season with the resources and the unique opportunity he had available to him was just that. A failure.

Yes he made a shit team better, but that doesn’t make him a great manager. It just makes him better than Tim Sherwood. Which I’m very happy to give him.

And he didn’t almost win the Champions League. He got to a final off the back of a very dubious refereeing decision over us, granted - and then never even bothered turning up against Liverpool in the final. Spurs were shite in that game, and were nowhere near winning it.

You’re entitled to your opinion on him, but I’m sticking with mine.

PSG was not an anomaly - it was the norm.

The guy’s a myth, and I’d be hugely disappointed if the Club goes anywhere near him.

I don’t agree mate - in my opinion, the failure of the 15/16 season with the resources and the unique opportunity he had available to him was just that. A failure.

Yes he made a shit team better, but that doesn’t make him a great manager. It just makes him better than Tim Sherwood. Which I’m very happy to give him.

And he didn’t almost win the Champions League. He got to a final off the back of a very dubious refereeing decision over us, granted - and then never even bothered turning up against Liverpool in the final. Spurs were shite in that game, and were nowhere near winning it.

You’re entitled to your opinion on him, but I’m sticking with mine.

PSG was not an anomaly - it was the norm.

The guy’s a myth, and I’d be hugely disappointed if the Club goes anywhere near him.
Wouldn’t necessarily disagree with that. Who would you be considering then mate?

I don’t think Haaland would’ve come if he had t had assurances Pep will be doing at least another 3 seasons including this one, we are going to have to replace KDB, Gundogan, Walker in the next few seasons non are getting any younger, for me this should be the challenge Pep is looking for, if Liverpool fall away the pressure mentally should drop a bit, I know it’s been draining on me nevermind what he has had to go through. Get the CL monkey off our back and I honestly believe we could go onto win it a few times in the next 5 years, now that would be a legacy for Pep to finish on.

He took over from Tim Sherwood and almost won the league within two years. I’m not sure that’s a stick to beat him with to be honest.

A lot of the players you highlighted above were either bought by Pochettino or significantly improved by him. Son was bought for 20 million and has been a very good player for them by anyone’s standards. Kane was essentially a reserve team player, bouncing between loans, and it wasn’t obvious at all that he was going to make it as a top player before Pochettino arrived. Alli was bought for no money and turned into an England regular before he shit the bed.

I don’t like Tottenham and in fact I intensely dislike them. I’m glad that Pochettino didn’t win anything while he was there. But to call him a complete myth is a bit silly given that he got a team to the Champions League final, beating us over two legs, and didn’t spend a fortune in the process.

You’re entitled to your opinion mate, but there’s nothing in there which will change mine.

He was better than Tim Sherwood, granted - and he’s an ok manager. On a par with Brendan Rodgers maybe - that sort of level.

He bought some good players for Spurs - although we all know Levy’s role in player acquisition over there, so I’m not sure you can give Pochettino all the credit there - and made them better. Great. I’m sure he’s an excellent bet for making an underperforming team better.

But he’s failed to achieve anything of note at the very top - at both Spurs and PSG.

He was very lucky against us in the CL that year, with an easy run in and a very questionable refereeing decision taking them through against us when we were the better side - and then his team never even bothered turning up in the final.

There’s a reason he’s only had one job since Spurs - in which he completely underachieved again, let’s remind ourselves.

He’d be better off taking over a Club like Everton or Leicester - where the expectations are different - and I’m sure he’d make them better. Fair play to him.

But there’s nothing in his track record which tells me he’d be anything other than a failure at a Club like City.

The team is ageing - he was never going to leave while there were trophies to be absorbed by the best squad any English club has ever assembled, hence him extending. He didn’t want anybody else to match or eclipse what he’s done with it.

Now United will be getting multibillionaire investment, the rest of the league can also buy very good players and maybe even the culmination and sanctions of the PL FFP investigation mean it’s a good time to walk away for him.
Hello, Raggy.

You’re entitled to your opinion mate, but there’s nothing in there which will change mine.

He was better than Tim Sherwood, granted - and he’s an ok manager. On a par with Brendan Rodgers maybe - that sort of level.

He bought some good players for Spurs - although we all know Levy’s role in player acquisition over there, so I’m not sure you can give Pochettino all the credit there - and made them better. Great. I’m sure he’s an excellent bet for making an underperforming team better.

But he’s failed to achieve anything of note at the very top - at both Spurs and PSG.

He was very lucky against us in the CL that year, with an easy run in and a very questionable refereeing decision taking them through against us when we were the better side - and then his team never even bothered turning up in the final.

There’s a reason he’s only had one job since Spurs - in which he completely underachieved again, let’s remind ourselves.

He’d be better off taking over a Club like Everton or Leicester - where the expectations are different - and I’m sure he’d make them better. Fair play to him.

But there’s nothing in his track record which tells me he’d be anything other than a failure at a Club like City.
Fair enough - maybe he’s a manager that can get teams so far, but not over the finishing line when it counts. You can never tell with counterfactuals and so on, but maybe a bit more spending from Levy when they were on the up might have made a difference, or perhaps if Walker would have stayed. But bottom line is that he took a mediocre team, spent very little and made Tottenham a consistent top 4 team and got to a Champions League final, so overall I would still count that as a good job. Not sure it’s fair to judge him at PSG because the place has been a bit of a circus over the past couple of years.

I wasn’t suggesting that we hire him either, but I do think that his name would be in the mix if Guardiola were to leave next summer. My main point on this thread is that there a very few proven trophy winners available to succeed Pep - and even fewer who we would likely appoint - so we would need to hire someone based on a different set of criteria, and that in turn becomes a more subjective choice.

I really don’t know who we would go for. I like Vieira, but would question whether he’s done enough to earn it. Arteta may have been considered at one point but that ship may have sailed and he seems happy enough at Arsenal anyway. Has Enrique ever won anything of note? No real stand outs for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.