Pep's rebuilding job. Pep's City Mk II

Whats happening now feels like a similar situation to when wenger took over arsenal. Like Wenger, Pep inherited some excellent premier league type players. Real leaders, proper battlers. But over time hes brought in his style players snd the older ones have left. This is now peps team and i think like wengers post-invincibles arsenal, its got a soft underbelly. Dont think he knows how to address that - to bring in a zaba, or a yaya, or a kompany who opposition teams feared and brought the passion in big games when the chips were down - and think that this is probably the beginning of the end for pep. Could be wrong but it feels like that to me.

Whats happening now feels like a similar situation to when wenger took over arsenal. Like Wenger, Pep inherited some excellent premier league type players. Real leaders, proper battlers. But over time hes brought in his style players snd the older ones have left. This is now peps team and i think like wengers post-invincibles arsenal, its got a soft underbelly. Dont think he knows how to address that - to bring in a zaba, or a yaya, or a kompany who opposition teams feared and brought the passion in big games when the chips were down - and think that this is probably the beginning of the end for pep. Could be wrong but it feels like that to me.
That sounds like wishful thinking to me.

We had all this fraudiola nonsense 3 years ago, and then what happened? Pep rebuilt City's defence. Now Silva and Fernandinho are in the last seasons and we need to do the same again. We will. This does not happen overnight you know and when you have 3 players with knee surgery it makes life difficult.

The fact that people are even talking about a rebuild is ridiculous. Since Pellegrini confirmed he was off... Bravo, Walker Cancelo Angelino Mendy Zinchenko Stones Laporte Gundogan Sane Jesus Bernardo Mahrez.

Ok pal.

Pep has also said Bravo is one of the best goalkeepers in the world, I guess that's bloody obvious and doesn't suit observations that he might as well have his hands sown on back to front like Carlos Tevez's head.

What Pep says is backed up by data. We are easily the most creative team in the league. Problem is we are not sufficiently clinical and we concede more goals form the chances we concede than it is normal for a top team.

Your point is that we create chances only because we commit many players in attack and get thus vulnerable defensively. But it is not backed up by the data. We are marginally worse than Leicester and Liverpool in terms of conceded chances. So, your point does not hold water.

What Pep says is backed up by data. We are easily the most creative team in the league. Problem is we are not sufficiently clinical and we concede more goals form the chances we concede than it is normal for a top team.

Your point is that we create chances only because we commit many players in attack and get thus vulnerable defensively. But it is not backed up by the data. We are marginally worse than Leicester and Liverpool in terms of conceded chances. So, your point does not hold water.
Why do you think we concede so many goals from so few chances? Why do you think it takes us so many chances to score? We have the "best striker" and forwards in the league excluding Livarpool if you believe the majority of fans, pundits and professional s within the game.

It's a very regular pattern with our defence that boils down to risk vs reward. It happens a lot to us because we commit so many players forward, too many at times, when we get desperate and are trying to force it. Opponents have "easier" chances to score against us as we're wide open, there's no pressure from our defendeds. We don't get as many "easier" chances because a lot of the time we're taking a shot under heavy pressure of defenders, due to the numbers they have back to recover.

So yes the data does back up what I'm saying, it's just you choose to interpret it in a very different way than I do. You're entitled to your opinion but I personally think you're deluded or are just looking at the stats too simplistically, rather than exploring why things happen.

The fact that people are even talking about a rebuild is ridiculous. Since Pellegrini confirmed he was off... Bravo, Walker Cancelo Angelino Mendy Zinchenko Stones Laporte Gundogan Sane Jesus Bernardo Mahrez.
A handful of bad results and injuries and a few want to throw everything out including what brought us success for 2 years when a litlle bit of adjustment is all that's needed. Never was baby and bathwater more apt.

A handful of bad results and injuries and a few want to throw everything out including what brought us success for 2 years when a litlle bit of adjustment is all that's needed. Never was baby and bathwater more apt.
It's a bit more than a few bad results, we have looked a shadow of the team of the previous two seasons, the start the season was probably always going to happen after the exhausting run in last season and the lack of a decent break for most of the squad this summer.
That apart things are not getting any better, a great win and performance at Burnley and we all though we are on our way back, but we followed up with a pathetic derby day no show.
Our squad needs serious changes, a major refresh. We are looking old, tired and leggy.

It's a bit more than a few bad results, we have looked a shadow of the team of the previous two seasons, the start the season was probably always going to happen after the exhausting run in last season and the lack of a decent break for most of the squad this summer.
That apart things are not getting any better, a great win and performance at Burnley and we all though we are on our way back, but we followed up with a pathetic derby day no show.
Our squad needs serious changes, a major refresh. We are looking old, tired and leggy.
-----------Ederson
Walker-Stones-Laporte-Zin
-------------Rodri
-----KDB----------Foden
Bernardo--Aguero--Sterling

We could if we wanted field the faster forward line in European football if we so wished: Sane, Sterling and Jesus.

There is no major rebuilding job to be done. You might have one or two concerns long term but the problem at the moment is that Laporte is out, Stones can't play more than 3-4 games back to back and the cover is a 34 year old midfielder. That is a temporary problem.

We need - CB X2 (Vinny stills need replaced, ota is going, stones head has gone, ferna is 34 although Garcia/THB are hovering), LB (Mendy is not delivering, Angelino tries hard but is nowhere near the right level, miles off), foden to come in for Dave, sane is going and needs replaced, Sergio is going into his final year so we need at least 1, probably 2 proper strikers even with Gabby. 5/6 players IMO, that's significant in anyone's book

Perhaps not a rebuild but a combination of replacing key figures and cutting our losses with those either not good enough (unfortunately for them) or playing silly buggers (Leroy).

Last edited:

well you’re entitled to your opinion... personally I’ve never read such utter nonsense... but as I said it’s all about opinions....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.