Peter Barnes

hallstreetblue

No he's not brown bread. Just thought this lad deserves a mention. Say what you want about Peter Swales, but I blame him for Barnesy's demise. If he'd have left Tony Book in full charge of the first team and not brought back Big Mal, who got rid of Peter Barnes and spent an absolute fortune, we'd have gone on to great things. Swales then brought in another Allison style character, in the shape of John Bond, who then went on to bleed the club dry. I know, I've heard it all before about Swales, "he only wanted the best for the club" and "he was Blue through and through". Well I'm sorry, but he fooked our club, by demoting Tony Book and I believe fooked up our history. We as City fans, were robbed of glory back then and Swales was to blame. Those of you that booed and totally demoralised Barnes on his return to Maine Road, should look in the mirror and call yourself a cnut! One of the greatest players ever to wear the colours of our club and although he once wore the colours of yoonited, is Blue through and through, forever and ever.

hallstreetblue said:
No he's not brown bread. Just thought this lad deserves a mention. Say what you want about Peter Swales, but I blame him for Barnesy's demise. If he'd have left Tony Book in full charge of the first team and not brought back Big Mal, who got rid of Peter Barnes and spent an absolute fortune, we'd have gone on to great things. Swales then brought in another Allison style character, in the shape of John Bond, who then went on to bleed the club dry. I know, I've heard it all before about Swales, "he only wanted the best for the club" and "he was Blue through and through". Well I'm sorry, but he fooked our club, by demoting Tony Book and I believe fooked up our history. We as City fans, were robbed of glory back then and Swales was to blame. Those of you that booed and totally demoralised Barnes on his return to Maine Road, should look in the mirror and call yourself a cnut! One of the greatest players ever to wear the colours of our club and although he once wore the colours of yoonited, is Blue through and through, forever and ever.

Think it may be time to move on.

Academica said:
hallstreetblue said:

I'm guessing your young and only know this era, so couldn't care less for our past. For those of us that do care, we have fond memories of such players, who are a big part of our history. So after watching clips of on our past, I was reminded of what an absolute star this lad was and think we'd have had a few more trophies to our name, had things been done differently. That's all.

hallstreetblue said:

Have you just found this in your Drafts from 25 years ago & pressed send ?

hallstreetblue said:
Academica said:
hallstreetblue said:

I'm guessing your young and only know this era, so couldn't care less for our past. For those of us that do care, we have fond memories of such players, who are a big part of our history. So after watching clips of on our past, I was reminded of what an absolute star this lad was and think we'd have had a few more trophies to our name, had things been done differently. That's all.

Don't know if I should call myself a **** or not can't remember if I booed to long ago to remember. Of course our history ( if we had any) is important, just more concerned with beating WBA and catching the Arse at the moment, as for being young I wish.

hallstreetblue said:

You are correct about Swales of course, he was responsible for setting in motion the decline that eventually led to us ending up in the third tier.

Regarding Barnes I felt that once he'd got into the England squad regularly he thought he'd "arrived" and could pick and choose his performances at club level. I think it was telling that he played in most of the qualifiers for Euro 1980 but Ron Greenwood - normally an admirer of flair players - chose not to take him to the Finals.

I was right behind the goal when he dummied Pat Jennings and dinked it over him in another City romp over Tottenham 5-0. One of the all time great Maine Road goals from that era in my opinion.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPRA-GzQU4[/youtube]

Peter Barnes was my childhood hero along with Dave Watson. I'll never forget my first game at Maine Rd, sat in the Platt Lane with my dad in absolute awe of the ground, the Kippax and the noise coming from it. City beat Middlesboro 4-0 in the League Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg that night and he set the first one up for Joe Royle with a great cross, then scored our 3rd following a cracking interception and shot into the net.

Instant hero - just add starstruck 5 year old.

The day he signed for that shite was the first time I'd ever had my heart broken. Nowadays of course, I realise a job is a job so he was only doing what he needed to do.

That said, I've still never forgiven you Peter :))

Selling Peter Barnes was a stupid piece of business, especially when you consider who we replaced him with. The question is who did we replace him with, the players Allison brought in at the time were pretty useless, their names escape me. Another stupid action of Peter Swales was to sell Gary Owen. He was some player, if he had stayed at City, he could have been one of our all time greats.

Barnes and Owen were both crap in 78/79 - especially Barnes.
Maybe had something to do with the awful winter.
I think we really needed to replace Dennis Tueart with someone similar rather than completely rebuild at the time.
Allison wanted to play without wingers - hence Barnes was sold; makes sense in that context but obviously whatever Mal was trying to do didn't quite work out, albeit he only had a season and a little bit to try it.
Who knows - maybe if we hadn't appointed Bond the players Allison had bought would have gelled and we would not have gone bust and got relegated from all the extra spending Bond did which left us completely skint and with no squad in the year we went down.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.