Peter Green

When I feel like a tonic, I regularly go on to You Tube, put my high-quality Shure earphones in, shut the world out, crank the sound right up (probably to an unhealthy point) and put on Proclamation by GG. The time signatures alone are astonishing. Still trying to work them out. They go from jazzy ternary rhythms to more rocky binary rhythms and back again, seamlessly. The only others who did that as effortlessly were Weather Report (and that's a whole other cosmos of musical excellence as compared to anyone else, IMO). I don't really know GG's music at all well. Is the rest as good as that? Or even part of it? Any special recommendation for a CD?

Apparently GG used to swap instruments on stage
Very intricate music

Im jealous you saw them
The thing is that Gentle Giant are my clear the house music. As soon as it starts my wife screams at me and walks out. Listen to Playing the Fool Album (live) and you barely get a half measure of them live. There is a shit rock goes to colege dvd from later where they are wearing boiler suits and dungerees and trying to 'punk up' ... avoid. In their prime their vocal and instrumental interplay combined with lighting effects is still one of the best things i have ever seen. Unique. Amazing to think of the careers some of them went on to have in the 'pop' industry.

Last edited:
After Gentle Giant , Derek Shulman became an A &R representative at polygram, where he became senior vice president, he signed Bon Jovi and Dan Reed. In 1988, he became president and CEO of Atco, where his first signings were progressive metal band Dream Theatre and Pantera. He also restarted the careers of AC/DC and Bad Co, who sold multi-platinum albums with him. He became president of Road Runner signing Slipknot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.