Peter Reid

Got us some decents results but it was only playing the percentage game. I left most matches even after a win, thinking "this is dire".

The percentage game is long balls into channels to win throw-ins like Wimbledon at the time, City's long balls were down the middle of the pitch to Quinn and we did have some cracking games and good time under him with a limited squad.

Ball and to a lesser extent Horton showed how football purists would cope.

Its not a bad restaurant, the food was decent. Its handy because there a chemist next door.

I'll never forget his goal at Villa and the whole end going mental, it was that long since our last away win some say it was that goal that started the Strangeways riots? ;-)

Reid initially benefited from the impact of Kendall’s signings, but was soon exposed as a limited, advocate of prehistoric football, and if we’re being brutally honest, we only finished above United in 1991 because the rags had reached the ECWC Final, and rested half their team for the last few games.

There was some revisionary thinking, especially when Sunderland were flying high during the late 90s, but in essence, City were on a downhill slope throughout 1993. Reid was treated shabbily, but the decision to sack him should have been made earlier.

Thought we were on the right track with Kendall setting the foundation of recovery. When he left, Reid was the cheap option and benefitted from the team inherited.

Still remember 5th and we had chance to kick on and then bought gronendijk , Holden and some other cheap misfit!

Reid initially benefited from the impact of Kendall’s signings, but was soon exposed as a limited, advocate of prehistoric football, and if we’re being brutally honest, we only finished above United in 1991 because the rags had reached the ECWC Final, and rested half their team for the last few games.

There was some revisionary thinking, especially when Sunderland were flying high during the late 90s, but in essence, City were on a downhill slope throughout 1993. Reid was treated shabbily, but the decision to sack him should have been made earlier.

Very similar to how I remember things.

He clearly had his favourites and we lost players, decent players like Michael Hughes, Coling Hendry, Clive Allen etc and replaced them with overpriced players or players not of the same standard.

I liked Keith Curle as a player, less so Terry Phelan but the side was crying out for a top class striker (Ian Wright as an example) or some midfield creativity and we were spending a world record fee on a left back. It was a complete waste of the resources we had.

The annual close season chase to sign Paul Stewart, Townsend, Geoff Thomas only made matters worse along with the dire football served up weekly.

The writing was on the wall the season before he was sacked when Spurs beat us in the cup, we lost out last home game of the season 5-2 to Everton and then the new season started in the same vein. Definitely the right decision and Bryan Horton was like a breath of fresh air afterwards once the finances were in place to sign Walsh, Uwe and Beagrie.

Last edited:

In fairness...with us, it wasn't too different.
We had Quinn up top by then....and stumbled upon an unknown striker called Kevin Phillips....the big man, little man approach worked a treat. In the championship, we did play with wingers...Alan Johnston, and Nicky Summerbee (swapped for Craig Russell)... it was entertaining stuff in truth

Nope. I'd forgotten that one though! I may have to rejig the Top 3 order.

Whilst just outside the top three, we have 'the uncut diamond'.

It wasn't a manager but I'm sure i remember an MEN billboard proclaiming that city had signed "an unknown star" when jim tolmie was bought.

Ps i hated the football too. Gary Megson summed it up for me. He ran around and got stuck in but played football like he'd put his boots on the wrong feet. He represented the dire functionality of the era and Reid was a prototype Pulis.

Peter Reid did a decent job.He also did a decent job at Sunderland using the same tactics.
Trouble was,the style of football he produced,at both clubs, got us as far as it was going to get.
I much preferred the reign of Horton for entertainment,if not league position.
away to Norwich and Quinn dropped out due to tooth ache and Adrain Heath replaced him. We played the same long ball game,no change of tactics.Biggest cheer, was when he actually won a header!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.