Peter Reid

BringBackSwales said:
city 'til i cry said:
First and foremost Peter Reid is a good guy and is great to listen to when he's a on as a pundit.

However his time at City is looked back on through rose tinted glasses. He inherited a team that under Kendall was on the brink of achievement and progresively it got worse each season the more it became his team. Baffling sales and even more baffling buys plus the over reliance on Niall Quinns head made for some of the worst style football over the last 20 years. McMahon was over the hill and Ricky Holden was too slow to get to the hill in the first place. Plus he sold Steve Redmond my hero at the time and Neil Pointon to get Holden, and treated Clive Allen like shit in favour of Adrian fucking Heath.

I'm sorry but Peter Reid was far better as a player than a mangager for us.

My memory may be playing tricks, it usually does, but I thought that Peter Reid took over a team battling relegation, got us to successive 6th placed finishes, then about half way up the league the year after, and then got bulleted by my namesake about 3 games into the season after that?

Your memory is playing tricks Kendall turn the team battling relegation to a top team

5th, 5th and 9th with a lot of injuries in the 3rd season.

Some people moaned as a lot of goals involved Quinn flick ons to White, but it was an exciting period.

Bearing in mind Reid was still a player with no experience when he started he did amazingly well. When we went down in 1996 he took Sunderland up.

He had the exact same record as Keegan did for city in 2002/03 when he was sacked, and City finished 9th, Sunderland relegated with weeks to go.

We do look through rose tinted glasses at Reid time as manager .
Like some have said he was a better player for us than manager .
He ran out of ideas in 1993 .
When he tried to bring back Paul Stewert .
From what I recall he left Spurs to go Liverpool .
So at Least Peter Swales did the right thing not letting ,Reid get Paul Stewert ,

Len Rum said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
In amongst the decades of shite, Peter Reid guided us to a 5th place finish, above the rags who finished 6th that season. Started as a player manager. Got Quinn & White playing really well together, and the highlight for me at the time was that we always seemed to do well against Liverpool (the MCFC of the day).

Sacked unfairly IMO after a few games of the following season.
Not really.
Paid over the odds for Keith Curle when we already had Colin Hendry.
Same for Terry Phelan when we already had adequate cover in that position.
Played Adrian Heath up front who couldn't score, when the team was crying out for Clive Allen to be played off Quinny.
Our attacking tactics ended up with Rick Holden hoofing the ball up to Quinny, which was soon sussed out by opposition defences.
Tactics were eventually decided on by Sam Ellis.

Tactics and Sam Ellis in the same sentence!

I think Reid gave us some pride with the respectable finishes despite the brand of football, at the time we were desperate not to be going down again so most fans were happy playing like we did and winning rather than get spanked every week.

Horton has been mentioned a few times its a bit of an urban myth about the "free flowing football" we played under him. It comes from the match against Spurs I think we won 5 - 2 apart from that it was pretty dire apart from the odd Beagrie backflip and Paul Walsh showing a fair bit of class for a player in the twilight of his career.

Really surprised by some of the comments criticising Curle. I'd say he was in our top 3 players pre-takeover of the previous 20 years alongside Anelka and Kinkladze. (Possibly 4th if you were to include Lake.)

nmc said:
Len Rum said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
In amongst the decades of shite, Peter Reid guided us to a 5th place finish, above the rags who finished 6th that season. Started as a player manager. Got Quinn & White playing really well together, and the highlight for me at the time was that we always seemed to do well against Liverpool (the MCFC of the day).

Sacked unfairly IMO after a few games of the following season.
Not really.
Played Adrian Heath up front who couldn't score, when the team was crying out for Clive Allen to be played off Quinny.
Our attacking tactics ended up with Rick Holden hoofing the ball up to Quinny, which was soon sussed out by opposition defences.

And that just about sums up the tactical awareness of Peter Reid as a manager.
To this day I am still pleased to say that I was at the forefront of the 'Reid Out' campaign.
A very good player in his day and a half decent bloke I am led to believe but as a football manager
he was useless.

TGR said:
nmc said:
Len Rum said:
Not really.

And that just about sums up the tactical awareness of Peter Reid as a manager.
To this day I am still pleased to say that I was at the forefront of the 'Reid Out' campaign.
A very good player in his day and a half decent bloke I am led to believe but as a football manager
he was useless.

This

Loved Reidy as a player but never understood him as a manager. He definately had something against Clive Allen & Colin Hendry and if I remember rightly would rather throw Hendry on up front instead of Clive? Was it Reidy who gave Micheal Hughes his debut v Everton midweek at home? one of the most exciting debuts for a while if I remember correctly, even if he did miss a penalty?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.