Peter Reid

Salty. said:
Loved Reidy as a player but never understood him as a manager. He definately had something against Clive Allen & Colin Hendry and if I remember rightly would rather throw Hendry on up front instead of Clive? Was it Reidy who gave Micheal Hughes his debut v Everton midweek at home? one of the most exciting debuts for a while if I remember correctly, even if he did miss a penalty?

Yep, to be fair the Kippax were screaming for Hughes to take the pen!

Riedy was at my mates wedding and a he is a genuine good guy who i admire lots.

In his time time he got 1 thing wrong and 1 thing right

The wrong thing was he didnt trust Clive Allen

The right thing was he fucked off the useless Colin Hendry

Never thought he really 'got' City like Joe Royle or Billy McNeill, but he's never slagged us off either, so fair play on that score at least.

In a way, a managerial tenure that encapsulated everything about 'typical City'

A job spawned by a scandalous resignation, followed by the City Holy Trinity of expectation, infighting, followed by crushing disappointment, encapsulated in its entirety in that Cup Quarter Final v Spurs when the new Platt Lane (small-time) stand was unveiled, we were tipped to win the cup, but all that followed was a tonking and the campest pitch invasion in English football history.

We have one thing to eternally thank him for, however. His dismissal, and the comical way it was carried out, was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to Peter Swales' ability to keep the natives on board. Cheers Peter!

Well always have Maddock.

Rascal said:

"The useless Colin Henry" who went back to Blackburn to become a key member of their title winning team being fucked off in favour of erm..,.... Michel Vonk was "the right thing"? Lordy lordy, are you sure?

gordondaviesmoustache said:
baildon blue said:
I remember Reid not getting any money to spend in 1993 .
His last signing Alfons Gronendijk .
Anyone who can open a can of peas with his left foot can't be all bad.

A ludicrous statement that sticks in the memory. To this day, the name Gronendijk makes one immediately think of peas. it was surely the second most ridiculous statement ever by a City manager regarding a member of the playing staff.

Trautmannesque said:
baildon blue said:

A ludicrous statement that sticks in the memory. To this day, the name Gronendijk makes one immediately think of peas. it was surely the second most ridiculous statement ever by a City manager regarding a member of the playing staff.
Are you referring to what Keegan said about Christian Negouai?

I think some of the criticisms of the football under Reidy are a bit unfair and dare I say it maybe influenced by some of the great stuff we have now?I went to many games in this era and my views are about a bit too much praise for Kendall and too much slagging of Reid.
1. Kendall was always a very pragmatic manager. His main purpose was to get the job done rather than a style of football. When he came he had a plan to get us out of the shit and he did it really well but the football was not 5 star. He got rid of Bishop who many if us loved and recruited loads of Evertonians.
2. There was huge relief and joy at the fact we escaped the drop because we had only come up that season. I remember QPR and Palace away were Superb days out (although I think Qpr was night time)
3. Part of the joy at staying up and knowing we had some good players was the fact the rags were nowhere the dominant force they were for the next 20 years- bacon face would have been sacked that season but for that lucky win away to Forest.
4. Next season we were doing quite well but could only draw away and then Kendall left. I think he would probably have done well for City but there was no guarantee he would have done better than Reid's finishes. The season he left the football was not bad but not mouth watering.
5, I don't remember huge howls of protests against Reid's football as it was generally getting results and we could certainly hold our heads up against the rags. They had won the cup luckily but at the time it was no big deal because it was just one cup. In fact the atmosphere at that last game v Sunderland of that season(was it 91-92?) was fantastic as we finished above the rags and the Kippax were singing for Barca in the cup winners cup.
6. My point is that a lot of the whinging started coming (I was one of them and eventually really got into the Reid Out, Swales out stuff) as the rags started winning things and it was clear they were going from strength to strength as the Sky money then poured in. Under Reid we were never going to threaten to overtake the shore as the long ball game became far too one dimensional and the money was spent in the wrong areas. I honestly think if the rags had not won anything or became the monster they did, that the criticism would not have been so bad.
7. Finally, to this day I think however like most fans playing Heath instead of Clive Allen and freezing Hendry out we're huge errors.

Trautmannesque said:
baildon blue said:

I raise you Alan Ball proclaiming Buster Phillips would be the first £10 million footballer

chaddblue said:
Trautmannesque said:

I raise you Alan Ball proclaiming Buster Phillips would be the first £10 million footballer
Good shout.

Rascal said:

Certainly not the Colin Hendry I remember.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.