Peter Reid

Un-official reason for sacking was that board wanted rid of Ellis but Reid refused so ultimatum give to sack him or be sacked himself. Tactics under Reid/ Ellis was long ball to Quinn -flick on for white. The Cov game that Friday after sacking was mad , remember the blue gates swinging at the front with people after Swales.

city 'til i cry said:
First and foremost Peter Reid is a good guy and is great to listen to when he's a on as a pundit.

However his time at City is looked back on through rose tinted glasses. He inherited a team that under Kendall was on the brink of achievement and progresively it got worse each season the more it became his team. Baffling sales and even more baffling buys plus the over reliance on Niall Quinns head made for some of the worst style football over the last 20 years. McMahon was over the hill and Ricky Holden was too slow to get to the hill in the first place. Plus he sold Steve Redmond my hero at the time and Neil Pointon to get Holden, and treated Clive Allen like shit in favour of Adrian fucking Heath.

I'm sorry but Peter Reid was far better as a player than a mangager for us.

Maybe that's because the ten years before his time and the ten years after saw us going up and down more frequently than a protitute's arse and a couple of 5th placed finishes were quite pleasant.

ifiwasarichfan said:
I never had any time for the Football played under Reid and didn't shed any tears when he left although I thought the manner of his dismissal was a disgrace.

I wasn't that keen on Kendall either. All those Everton squad players just made me feel like I was supporting a second class side. It felt like I was supporting a team like Coventry.
yeah, but when all those old ex everton players went to Villa Park, when they were top of the league and we were bottom, without an away win all season, and we won 2-1, it felt like we had won the fa cup-those old evertonians would do for me- Harper, Megson and Reid had Villa in a vice like grip that day and it was us who looked liked we were going for the title, not fighting for our lives at the foot of the old first division.

From the firm defensive base, and using Quinn as a target man supreme, City countered- attacked at speed with Mark Ward and David White causing all sorts of problems...it was the day after the poll tax riots in London, and a definate feeling of rebellion in the air as City added another bow to their "typical" character, and dared to beat champions elect Villa on their own ground.

Still one of my fav away matches ever .

Lets hope for another great result this sat at Villa.

dennishasdoneit said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
I never had any time for the Football played under Reid and didn't shed any tears when he left although I thought the manner of his dismissal was a disgrace.

I wasn't that keen on Kendall either. All those Everton squad players just made me feel like I was supporting a second class side. It felt like I was supporting a team like Coventry.
yeah, but when all those old ex everton players went to Villa Park, when they were top of the league and we were bottom, without an away win all season, and we won 2-1, it felt like we had won the fa cup-those old evertonians would do for me- Harper, Megson and Reid had Villa in a vice like grip that day and it was us who looked liked we were going for the title, not fighting for our lives at the foot of the old first division.

From the firm defensive base, and using Quinn as a target man supreme, City countered- attacked at speed with Mark Ward and David White causing all sorts of problems...it was the day after the poll tax riots in London, and a definate feeling of rebellion in the air as City added another bow to their "typical" character, and dared to beat champions elect Villa on their own ground.

First time we ever won live on TV in a non-cup final iirc.

dennishasdoneit said:
ifiwasarichfan said:

I might be wrong but I think it was also the same day as the Strangeways roof top protest and riots started?

City...........ruining prisons and starting riots since 1990

Danamy said:
dennishasdoneit said:
ifiwasarichfan said:

I might be wrong but I think it was also the same day as the Strangeways roof top protest and riots started?

City...........ruining prisons and starting riots since 1990
Correct!

BzNf9tKIgAAkLd-.jpg

Needs to stay out of the sun a bit

A lot of mixed memories for me from this period in our history. The FA Cup defeats to Notts County and the Spurs QF being the lowest. The Liverpool 2-1 home win at the start of the 1991/92 season being the highest. 5th, 5th and 9th weren't bad but he made some bad calls with players and I've no doubt had Kendall stayed we'd have done better. However neither seemed to believe in Clive Allen which I think we all found odd. But I remember when Machin signed Allen in the summer of 89 my excitement wasn't matched by my Dad which I found strange.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.