Peter Reid

Scaring Europe to Death

Had a strange moment in Ma Egerton’s (next to Lime Street) on Saturday after watching the Liverpool game with a few Evertonian mates.

Within five minutes of the Final Whistle, Peter Reid strolled into the pub, and ordered a double-Tanqueray and tonic, before turning to me:

“How fucking lucky were they?”

At this point, I must confess to never liking Reid as a City Manager, and have always blamed the start of our spectacular 90s implosion on his strange relationship with Sam Ellis, the alienation of Clive Allen, the short term obsession with an ageing midfield, the ridiculous overspending on Curle and Phelan, and a dreadful style of football.

Personally, I thought he did a far better job with Sunderland, whereas at Maine Road, he inherited the nucleus of a decent team, which gradually went backwards, before accelerating towards the lower reaches. Yes, we finished 5th but it wasn’t as though we were struggling when Kendall returned to Everton.

However, all I could utter was: “Great goal at Villa Park for City mate”, and had my photo taken with him.

So two faced, I should be a politician.

There were so many things going wrong, but how would we have fared if Reid had been given another season?

Had a strange moment in Ma Egerton’s (next to Lime Street) on Saturday after watching the Liverpool game with a few Evertonian mates.

Within five minutes of the Final Whistle, Peter Reid strolled into the pub, and ordered a double-Tanqueray and tonic, before turning to me:

“How fucking lucky were they?”

At this point, I must confess to never liking Reid as a City Manager, and have always blamed the start of our spectacular 90s implosion on his strange relationship with Sam Ellis, the alienation of Clive Allen, the short term obsession with an ageing midfield, the ridiculous overspending on Curle and Phelan, and a dreadful style of football.

Personally, I thought he did a far better job with Sunderland, whereas at Maine Road, he inherited the nucleus of a decent team, which gradually went backwards, before accelerating towards the lower reaches. Yes, we finished 5th but it wasn’t as though we were struggling when Kendall returned to Everton.

However, all I could utter was: “Great goal at Villa Park for City mate”, and had my photo taken with him.

So two faced, I should be a politician.

There were so many things going wrong, but how would we have fared if Reid had been given another season?
If he thought we were lucky to win, I think you know the answer..

If he thought we were lucky to win, I think you know the answer..

He thought Liverpool were lucky to win.

Good bloke on the whole. He was in his mid-thirties when City became his first managerial job. He was treated badly by Swales and Maddocks. By no means the perfect manager but worthy of our respect and gratitude for the service he gave us.

He thought Liverpool were lucky to win.

Good bloke on the whole. He was in his mid-thirties when City became his first managerial job. He was treated badly by Swales and Maddocks. By no means the perfect manager but worthy of our respect and gratitude for the service he gave us.
That is what you get when people don't read the post properly. Many apologies. I don't usually start being an arse until Thursday's on most weeks. ;-)

Remember seeing him on the TV once when he used to do the Soccer Saturday shite a good few years back. He looked or indeed was, absolutely sozzled, no doubt about it.

We were in free fall under Reid and the thought of another season under his style of football and football acumen would in all likelihood led to relegation.

Selling Colin Hendry, Michael Hughes and the omission of Clive Allen highlighted his incompetence.

We were crying out for a striker and creativity in midfield and as players like Ian Wright moved clubs Peter Reid was obsessed every summer with signing Paul Stewart and breaking records for Wimbledon defenders. This really was one of those times when fans knew better than the manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.