Peterloo Massacre 200th anniversary 16th August

Mad Eyed Screamer

Meant to post this on Thursday - the anniversary of the single most important event in Manchester's history bar none - but knew the memorial rally is on Sunday so left it until now.

The rally is meeting at noon outside GMEX - obviously City kick off a short while later, so maybe not too many of you will be there!

However, the Peterloo Massacre deserves a thread and is worthy of being remembered. In 7 years time it will be the 200th anniversary...

Re: The Peterloo Memorial Rally on Sunday

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Meant to post this on Thursday - the anniversary of the single most important event in Manchester's history bar none - but knew the memorial rally is on Sunday so left it until now.

The rally is meeting at noon outside GMEX - obviously City kick off a short while later, so maybe not too many of you will be there!

However, the Peterloo Massacre deserves a thread and is worthy of being remembered. In 7 years time it will be the 200th anniversary...

Yes there's a blue plaque on the side on the old free trade hall remembering the massacre

I would say the Industrial Revolution, the Suffrigette movement with Emmeline Pankhurst and Rutherford splitting the atom (which led to America winning the war in Japan) we're bigger events in Manchester's history.

I was in Peterlee during the week and they need a massacre there too

danburge82 said:
I would say the Industrial Revolution, the Suffrigette movement with Emmeline Pankhurst and Rutherford splitting the atom (which led to America winning the war in Japan) we're bigger events in Manchester's history.
I agree with all of that and would add the start of the Madchester music scene was a more significant event nationally and globally.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:

Surprised you didn't say the formation of a certain beat combo!

danburge82 said:

Can agree with you to an extent, but I'm referring to a single event in the city's history rather than a movement that started in the city and became national (Suffrigettes) or as with the Industrial Revolution which saw the area grow from a small insignificant town to trading all over the world.
As for the atom being split, again, great achievement and rightly recognised, but how many people were involved / or how many people were even aware of it at the time? (Not many I imagine as it would have been hush hush)
It is said 60,000 plus men, women and kids marched from all surrounding towns to St Peter's Fields that day.<br /><br />-- Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:51 pm --<br /><br />
jimharri said:
Surprised you didn't say the formation of a certain beat combo!

Well obviously that was the most important day - so obvious I didn't need to mention it ;)

Mad Eyed Screamer said:

It was not by a long shot the most important event in the history of Manchester, it was a tragic event yes but on the scale of things it was actually quite minor

Ducado said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

It was not by a long shot the most important event in the history of Manchester, it was a tragic event yes but on the scale of things it was actually quite minor

Well give examples then!
I feel because of the timescale and obvious lack of TV coverage back then, it is easily pushed to one side. This was the equivalent of Tiananmen Square! if it happened today it would be a world wide event getting international condemnation.
Outdoor political gatherings were banned at the time, people were demanding rights to better working conditions etc, marching from town to town and then seeing the cavalry slashing away with sabres at the crowd to arrest the organisers.
Surprised we've never seen a Hollywood blockbuster made of it (starring Mel Gibson!)

So some people will say it was the Manchester Blitz, others the Munich air disaster - all fresh in peoples minds because they lived it or seen the endless re-runs of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.