Peterloo Massacre 200th anniversary 16th August

Re: The Peterloo Memorial Rally on Sunday

dobobobo said:
Dalian Blue said:
Yes, I know it says Sunday, the thread is from last year. Anyway, anyone know of anything planned tomorrow (Saturday 16th August)? I'll be taking a look around the Free Trade Hall / Peter Street area tomorrow, I expect that something will be occurring.

Or even two years ago...

1pm tomorrow.

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/PeterlooMemoria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/PeterlooMemoria</a>

Cheers, it looks like there is a rally on the 17th as well.

Dalian Blue said:
dobobobo said:
Dalian Blue said:
Yes, I know it says Sunday, the thread is from last year. Anyway, anyone know of anything planned tomorrow (Saturday 16th August)? I'll be taking a look around the Free Trade Hall / Peter Street area tomorrow, I expect that something will be occurring.

Or even two years ago...

1pm tomorrow.

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/PeterlooMemoria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/PeterlooMemoria</a>

No probs, thank you for reminding me. I found about the massacre about 11 months ago when doing research about Manchester. I cannot believe it took till the age of 30 for me to find out about it. Plus, I worked on that blocked for two years and passed the plaque every working day!

Aye, I think people as a group pay their respects at other times of the year. I can't remember when, but I saw the group earlier this year when I got out of work. Worth keeping an eye on Twitter or Facebook as the website doesn't seem to get updated.

dobobobo said:
Dalian Blue said:
dobobobo said:
1pm tomorrow.

No probs, thank you for reminding me. I found about the massacre about 11 months ago when doing research about Manchester. I cannot believe it took till the age of 30 for me to find out about it. Plus, I worked on that blocked for two years and passed the plaque every working day!

Aye, I think people as a group pay their respects at other times of the year. I can't remember when, but I saw the group earlier this year when I got out of work. Worth keeping an eye on Twitter or Facebook as the website doesn't seem to get updated.

Yup,
I found out about Peterloo in the late '70's, a few years after I had left school. I remember being pissed off that we were never taught about such things in the history lessons! (I hope that has changed now).

Dalian Blue said:
dobobobo said:
Dalian Blue said:

Yup,
I found out about Peterloo in the late '70's, a few years after I had left school. I remember being pissed off that we were never taught about such things in the history lessons! (I hope that has changed now).

Aye, I totally agree. My primary school and secondary school were both a 10 minute walk from the Bridgewater Canal. Not once were we taught anything about the actual purpose of that canal and how it played a vital part (along with many other parts) in Manchester becoming a city with so much heritage.

dobobobo said:
Dalian Blue said:
dobobobo said:

Yup,

Aye, I totally agree. My primary school and secondary school were both a 10 minute walk from the Bridgewater Canal. Not once were we taught anything about the actual purpose of that canal and how it played a vital part (along with many other parts) in Manchester becoming a city with so much heritage.

That's really piss poor application from the schools and teachers involved, in my (admittedly, entirely unprofessional) opinion.
I can't think of any primary school in my part of Ireland that does not take the kids on field trips of their own locality; explaining the local history, nature and folklore. Mad thing is the kids love it, too. If we learnt nothing else, what we were taught on those days is ingrained in us... Ask me to ask me to prove Pythagerous theorem and I'll grin sheepishly, but the following is like mother's milk to me:

Walking around the block (about a square mile or a little more) on which my primary school still stands, we saw the site of the beginning of the Limerick Soviet (1919), The Yellow Hole - a famine mass-burial ground (1840's), the site of the signing of the Treaty of Limerick (1691), Thomond Park Stadium, King John's Castle (1169), the house where one of two mayors of Limerick was murdered by the Black and Tans on the same night (1921), the bridge where the the ghost of the Bishop's Lady tried to steal the soul of Drunken Thady and he had to throw himself into the Shannon to escape her (we believed it!), the house where the actor, Richard Harris, was reared, the the road where the ghost of the famine cart , taking the bodies to the Yellow Hole, was said to be seen on dreary winter nights (obviously true!), the site where Auld Nell, the local banshee was supposed to have been seen, keening the recently departed Mac's and O's (yup, true again), the road Sarsfield rode in route to slaughtering the Williamite forces at Ballyneety and relieving the 1690 siege, the old military barracks that changed hands three times during the Irish Civil War (and the red bricked house beside it, still pocked with bullet holes), a public park with oak, birch, ash and sycamore trees and also the largest river on these islands, the Shannon, at its widest point.

There's millions of similar tales surrounding every single school on these islands, if the teachers only took an interest in passing it on. Shame on them. How can they expect the kids to love and respect the place if they don't know it?

mad4city said:
dobobobo said:
Dalian Blue said:
Yup,

That's really piss poor application from the schools and teachers involved, in my (admittedly, entirely unprofessional) opinion.
I can't think of any primary school in my part of Ireland that does not take the kids on field trips of their own locality; explaining the local history, nature and folklore. Mad thing is the kids love it, too. If we learnt nothing else, what we were taught on those days is ingrained in us... Ask me to ask me to prove Pythagerous theorem and I'll grin sheepishly, but the following is like mother's milk to me:

Walking around the block (about a square mile or a little more) on which my primary school still stands, we saw the site of the beginning of the Limerick Soviet (1919), The Yellow Hole - a famine mass-burial ground (1840's), the site of the signing of the Treaty of Limerick (1691), Thomond Park Stadium, King John's Castle (1169), the house where one of two mayors of Limerick was murdered by the Black and Tans on the same night (1921), the bridge where the the ghost of the Bishop's Lady tried to steal the soul of Drunken Thady and he had to throw himself into the Shannon to escape her (we believed it!), the house where the actor, Richard Harris, was reared, the the road where the ghost of the famine cart , taking the bodies to the Yellow Hole, was said to be seen on dreary winter nights (obviously true!), the site where Auld Nell, the local banshee was supposed to have been seen, keening the recently departed Mac's and O's (yup, true again), the road Sarsfield rode in route to slaughtering the Williamite forces at Ballyneety and relieving the 1690 siege, the old military barracks that changed hands three times during the Irish Civil War (and the red bricked house beside it, still pocked with bullet holes), a public park with oak, birch, ash and sycamore trees and also the largest river on these islands, the Shannon, at its widest point.

There's millions of similar tales surrounding every single school on these islands, if the teachers only took an interest in passing it on. Shame on them. How can they expect the kids to love and respect the place if they don't know it?
Great post that mate. We as working class, are kept ignorant of our past because the twats in power are scared of millions of people being educated and in formed of our radical history. Much rather tell us about lands that were conquered and ruled with an iron hand.

mad4city said:
dobobobo said:
Dalian Blue said:
Yup,

Exactly! (Your hole post is spot on.)

The nearest thing that could be linked to Manchester was a trip to Quary Bank. I remember it well because the staff at the Mill were great at giving us an understanding of the lives of those who worked at the Mill. Did the teacher the next day emphasise the importance of the mills linked to Manchester? Nope!

I hated history as a result, especially my last year of it when the teacher made us copy and paste photocopies of text from history books into our work books - pretty much in every lesson!

totallywired said:
Great post that mate. We as working class, are kept ignorant of our past because the twats in power are scared of millions of people being educated and in formed of our radical history. Much rather tell us about lands that were conquered and ruled with an iron hand.

Oh great... just what Bluemoon needs, another f**king agenda thread! :-)

After I posted last night, I went out for a pint, down the local, and obviously this subject was still fresh in my mind, so I shoehorned it into the conversation. A lad from Tipperary told me that they had the same education, as kids and he doesn't believe anything has changed. A local girl told me about her son's young teacher is from Mayo but was asking the parents about the history of the cathedral that their school is in the shadow of - and the five year olds were duly taken on a tour of it. What's great about that is that she could have got the history from a book but she wanted the local slant. So, that might indicate that the practice is alive and well in Mayo, too.
The other great point that was made (beside the discussion on said teacher's shapely arse) was regarding the value of such things. Nobody could say that it wasn't a great thing to let the children learn about their environment but one lad did ponder if all that History does is give some of the kids a chip on their shoulder. He was shouted down, as is the way of things but I could see his point, up to a degree. I suppose no matter how god the ethos, a bad teacher will f**k it up.
We're lucky, I suspect, in Ireland, insomuch as our nationhood is quite young and, as such, our history possibly feels more pertinent. Also we don't have the colonial guilt complex (just the Catholic guilt complex, that chip on our shoulder and a tendency to grumble about our noisy neighbours!) so maybe it's easier for our teachers to have an appetite for teaching local history.
I'm not for one moment suggesting that "our history is better than yours" when I say that. History is just a bunch of shit that happened before we got here, after all. I'm just airing a notion and trying to reason why tthe UK (including Norn Iron, as far as I know) doesn't embrace this way of teaching, is all. (Actually, speaking from the outside looking in, if ever there was a spot that could benefit from such an education, the North might be it). I wonder if it has anything to do with Ireland being a republic? Republics, for example, consistently have a far greater share of home ownership than any other form of democracy. I think that's because we're not reared with that notion of acceptance of our lot that so many people in the UK (for example) seem to have been.
("Who owns all that land? Lord Havealot, you say?" - now if you're from a constitutional monarchy, you're possibly aspiring to be in his social circle some fine day. If you're from a republic you're already thinking about taking the f**ker down - or maybe that's the chip on my shoulder burning through).
Your point that there's a conspiracy afoot to deny the working class an education of their place in British History is intriguing. Conspiracy theories are fun and tempting, of course but I'm not convinced it's a conspiracy in this case so much as a collective ignorance amongst those who set the curriculum. I'd hazard a guess that they're all Oxbridge educated and most of them have no concept of the working class condition beyond what Professor told them in year two of Economics.
It'd be a huge boost to British society, in my humble etc, if local history was taught in the same way as it is in Ireland (not that our education system is perfect, obviously) but the only way that's going to happen is if the people see it in action, decide they want it and demand it from their government.

By way of contrast, in the last week I have visited three museums in the Manchester & Salford area, all free entry:
Wednesday, National Football Museum*;
Thursday, MOSI & The Air and Space museum;
Friday, Salford museum and art gallery.

I was particularly impressed to stumble on the Local History library at Salford, I'll be paying another visit there to do some research.

My point being that although I believe that more local history should be taught in school, there are plenty of facilities available within Greater Manchester for those who have sufficient interest to do their own research.

*I wasn't impressed with the football museum, I can understand having rag shit in the displays but the shop on the way out was full of rag shite, surely there shouldn't be any bias in there? (I suppose that this point may be better on the 'agenda' thread!)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.