Petrol and diesel car targets

Have no clue how they work but someone who has one said a full charge takes 45 minutes. Bit inconvenient if you have to be somewhere, filling up takes seconds.

How long does an average charge last ? Is there a Chance of it cutting out in a very inconvenient place and you being stranded ? I know there's a risk of running out of petrol but there’s much of the unknown with electric cars .

Is it any cheaper to by an electric car than a petrol/diesel ?

how much is it to charge them ?

How on earth does he do that? Does his EV only have a 30 mile range? What is he using to charge it up? The Porche earlier is state of the art - I doubt he can have an EV that can be fully charged in 45 mins unless it has a restricted range. As for how long it lasts it depends on range and use - if you want to go far but need the lights and wipers on then obviously the range is reduced. Its the same with an internal combustion engine as having all the 'leccy bits on puts load through the alternator but we tend not to notice it as much.

Ultimately you have hit the nail on the head. Battery power and recharging as it stands at the moment is inadequate if you want to continue to travel about and move goods about in the manner we do now. You can't do 600 miles and have to stop every 200 to recharge for say a couple of hours if its a delivery vehicle. It can be done better but as I say there are only 4 of the fastest chargers in the UK plus as you say if you needed to get somewhere there's no slash n dash - lob a tenner in to get you the last 50 miles - you sit there waiting. Plus of course from where I am sat right now in a small North Yorkshire town there are ( from memory ) 28 petrol and diesel pumps in 3 filling stations ( again from memory ) there are 3 EV charge points in the town plus one out of town at a woodland attraction visitor centre which has its gates locked of an evening. From what I have read if you get to below say about 20% power left an EV goes into a sort of limp home mode to preserve power

As for cost yes massively so - but again econmies of scale could bring the costs closer.

The problem is I think it’s the oil companies that are going to have to embrace it as opposed to the car that are all jumping on the electric bandwagon, it’ll take time.

There will need to be all sorts of drivers to be honest. Maybe - if you get a company car then every parking space at work has to have a charge point? No new houses without a fast charger outside? The property owner could "sell" power to EV drivers like you do with solar panels? Biggest one will be how on earth do we generate enough power to run all these EV's and keep the lights on? How that is generated will also call into question how green EV's are.

There will need to be all sorts of drivers to be honest. Maybe - if you get a company car then every parking space at work has to have a charge point? No new houses without a fast charger outside? The property owner could "sell" power to EV drivers like you do with solar panels? Biggest one will be how on earth do we generate enough power to run all these EV's and keep the lights on? How that is generated will also call into question how green EV's are.

Very good points and it’s why I am pessimistic. I think Johnson moved the date forward for good PR and to please the Green Lobby.

Never say never as technology moves that quickly we may have someone invent something that makes it all easy but as it stands I wouldn’t bet on it being before 2060.

I picked up an I3 BMW from a client the other week it had 43 miles of charge in it, enough to get me where I needed to go but I made the mistake of having the heating on because it was a cold day, I also had the radio on well that put me under the miles needed to get back to the dealership, so I had to go all Apollo 13 and switch off all the electrical equipment I made it back , cold and not entertained but I had 2 miles to spare! The point is I should not have to freeze my arse off in a car in the 21st century just to eek out miles to make a journey .

I still think hydrogen fuels cells will be the future, loads of it about just a twat to extract but so is drilling into the North Sea for oil.

Quite possibly. There are still probs to be ironed out with electric cars. There’s a lot of truth in the old saying “necessity is the mother of invention”. Setting a serious target will hope to focus minds. Until recently “mañana” has been the by-word.

Quite possibly. There are still probs to be ironed out with electric cars. There’s a lot of truth in the old saying “necessity is the mother of invention”. Setting a serious target will hope to focus minds. Until recently “mañana” has been the by-word.
I’m interested to see how graphine [sp] technology goes in regards to batteries, interesting times ahead.

I picked up an I3 BMW from a client the other week it had 43 miles of charge in it, enough to get me where I needed to go but I made the mistake of having the heating on because it was a cold day, I also had the radio on well that put me under the miles needed to get back to the dealership, so I had to go all Apollo 13 and switch off all the electrical equipment I made it back , cold and not entertained but I had 2 miles to spare! The point is I should not have to freeze my arse off in a car in the 21st century just to eek out miles to make a journey .

but were that a BMW 1Series you could have stuck £5 worth of fossil fuel in it and worn your mankini and listened to Talkshite as I am sure you always do lol ! As I say for me at the moment these are not the answer.

Very good points and it’s why I am pessimistic. I think Johnson moved the date forward for good PR and to please the Green Lobby.

Never say never as technology moves that quickly we may have someone invent something that makes it all easy but as it stands I wouldn’t bet on it being before 2060.

I am certain that oil co's will be working on stuff. Its not in their interest to make their company value that is invested in rigs, pipelines, tankers, refineries etc redundant overnight - that would slash their value. However as the oil runs out I wouldn't mind betting they will have an additive or an alternative to had that is suddenly available that works in internal combustion engines ( perhaps with a tweak to the engine management ) that can be delivered by means of - oh I dunno say a pump on a forecourt into a tank which is less polluting too.

but were that a BMW 1Series you could have stuck £5 worth of fossil fuel in it and worn your mankini and listened to Talkshite as I am sure you always do lol ! As I say for me at the moment these are not the answer.
I think the tipping point will be in 2 to 5 years time, I was having this conversation with the better half the other night, she must think I’m right catch chatting about is in a bar on a Friday night :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.