Phil Dowd

Eds

Serious question to all:

Phil Dowd last night signalled that Micah's hands were above his head. Silva and a few others made it perfectly clear his hands were down protecting his face with one and by his side the other and the ball bouncedup from his foot. Given that Dowd was looking directly at Micah with a clear view can he honestly say that is what he saw? Is he incompetant, bias or both. And having given the penalty why no card?

Graham Poll has said the same thing. I'm afraid these refereeing issues (and boy, how many have we dissected so far this season) are going to part and parcel of everything we do from now on.

Eds said:
Serious question to all:

Phil Dowd last night signalled that Micah's hands were above his head. Silva and a few others made it perfectly clear his hands were down protecting his face with one and by his side the other and the ball bouncedup from his foot. Given that Dowd was looking directly at Micah with a clear view can he honestly say that is what he saw? Is he incompetant, bias or both. And having given the penalty why no card?

Incompetent - Won't be the 1st Ref I say that about this season and not the last.

He honestly believes that despite the ball richocheting off his foot first, its still a penalty - This is 1 of the problems we face with Refs never having played football.

To stay on your feet and keep your balance, your hands have to be out a little. I think moving forward, rather than ex players moving into Management, a few more should apply for their referees badge and show how it is done with the right knowledge of the game, rather than sticking to the rulebook and a lack of common sense!

Also believe however that we should look a bit closer to home as to why we lost the tie - I have no doubt that even if they didnt get that penalty they would have gone onto score at some point, we just werent good enough over the 2 legs!

From the OS a summery of sorts on the incident.....

We all knew it anyway, but Graham Poll confirms it for Micah, Roberto, and Blues everywhere still shaking their heads in the wake of that Carling Cup semi-final exit.

It was never a penalty ref, asserts the former World Cup referee in the Mail, and on not just one count but two, says the official who once showed a player three yellow cards.

We're sure he's got his maths right this time, of course, when he writes: "Phil Dowd made two errors in awarding Liverpool a penalty after the ball hit Micah Richards’ arm.

"Firstly, with Richards two yards away from the ball as it was struck and his arms in a natural position, the handball had to be accidental. On top of that, the ball hit his arm after being deflected off his foot.

"Dowd’s second error was to mime what he thought he saw. He put both arms above his head to indicate what the City defender had done wrong.

"When looking at replays, while one of Richards’ arms is above his head, it is not the one that the ball struck after deflecting, so Dowd’s perception — which he repeatedly made clear — did not match the fact.

"A handball must be deliberate to be given as a foul. Referees are told to consider the proximity of the offender to the opponent striking the ball, the speed the ball is travelling, whether the arms are in a natural position and if the player had a chance of getting out of the way. You can see why City were so upset."

Of course, there is not the same leeway to rescind penalties retrospectively as there is, say, to impose suspensions for any alleged transgression the referee might miss.

"What do you want me to say to that?" the London Evening Standard reports Mancini saying when asked about the irony of Bellamy's goal.

"I am disappointed because I didn't get to the final. What changes if Bellamy scores, or Gerrard or Carroll? I am happy with the players I have got. Bellamy scored. I am also happy for him."

In other news, Mario Balotelli is being quoted for a change, insisting to reporters that he did not catch Scott Parker intentionally in the incident that brought a four-match ban.

Goal.com reports his words thus: "I have accepted the ban because I couldn't prove my innocence. But I'm not a villain or violent. I didn't try to [place my] heel [on] Parker.

And, did I imagine that Dowd first pulled out a yellow card then changed his mind?

Even though he was five yards away, staring right at it and wrongly made several gestures to signify that the player had both arms above his head Dowd will be coerced by the F.A into claiming that he didnt see the incident and Micah will be retrospectively given a red for preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity and handed a three match ban.

The decision was absolutely terrible. I am staggered though, with our luck, that he didn't send Micah off as well.
To give a penalty, it had to be considered as a deliberate handball, and that means that Dowd cannot have seen that the ball hit Micah's foot/leg before the hand.
The actions Dowd mimed afterwards were clearly for raised hands, therefore, Richards should have walked - not just been booked; sent off. The fact that this didn't happen is a small mercy, but it makes the whole incident one of the worst pieces of reffing in my book - pretty standard though for what we have to contend with these days.
If Dowd - in a perfect position - cannot see the ball ricocheting off Micah's leg, it's time he packed up. The fact that he didn't see Charlie Adam boot through Dzeko's leg at the other end a few minutes earlier is perfectly forgivable - after all, he had the Kop blinding his eyes.
Un-be-lievable Jeff.<br /><br />-- Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:44 pm --<br /><br />
Lucky Toma said:
Even though he was five yards away, staring right at it and wrongly made several gestures to signify that the player had both arms above his head Dowd will be coerced by the F.A into claiming that he didnt see the incident and Micah will be retrospectively given a red for preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity and handed a three match ban.

Quite right too - after all, it was at Anfield, and he is black.

i was wondering why he kept putting his hands up, perhaps he likes people looking at him??!!

he should have just told the players, not gesticulated like a twunt

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.