Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Felt that in the first half particularly, he often got on top of other City players' toes trying to take the ball directly off them. I suspect it's something he's had to do in the younger age groups where he'd have been much much better than most of his teammates. Needs to study Silva in training and work on getting himself into space and trusting that his first team teammates will find him.

Improved as the game went on though and he can dictate attacks, which is incredibly impressive for someone of his age.

Wasn’t impressed last night. He tried too hard.

Guardiola likes his players to play in set zones and he was running about everywhere getting in others’ way. Then when he got the ball he was taking too many touches and not playing it simple.

There were some nice touches and good balance and obviously you can’t judge someone’s future over one game but he just needs to relax a bit and play as part of the team.

I reckon he’ll have learnt more from that last night than he has at any other day in his time at the club though. If we see his next game (the earlier the league is wrapped up the better) and then subsequent games and he’s being more sensible and calm I’m sure we’ll start to see how good he can be.

What was great last night was there was a definite impression he was nervous and trying a bit too hard & that he was allowed to play through that callow youthfulness. He calmed down just fine, is technically brilliant and has great vision. Remember that Silva was early 20s by the time we got him and it took him a few months to adjust then.

One thing I really really hope is we don't fuck this one up. He could be our star. Signs are good from both sides so far.

He's going to be amazing in the future. It's insane that a 17 year old is starting in the champions league and playing well.

No one really should be criticising him, he might make the odd mistake or not be the best player on the day, but the experience alone is worth it. Some people expect the finished article and have no patience.

Wasn’t impressed last night. He tried too hard.

Guardiola likes his players to play in set zones and he was running about everywhere getting in others’ way. Then when he got the ball he was taking too many touches and not playing it simple.

There were some nice touches and good balance and obviously you can’t judge someone’s future over one game but he just needs to relax a bit and play as part of the team.

I reckon he’ll have learnt more from that last night than he has at any other day in his time at the club though. If we see his next game (the earlier the league is wrapped up the better) and then subsequent games and he’s being more sensible and calm I’m sure we’ll start to see how good he can be.

Tbf I think I read somewhere he had 91% pass completion and nerves are expected from a 17 year old...all the hints you describe are normal and expected. I think last night we did get to see in glimpses how good he can be. Some excellent passes and movement and he didn't look out of place. Just that alone shows how much talent he has. There are barely any 17 year olds that can do that on such a big stage.

I'm gobsmacked that anyone would even begin to criticise a 17yr old kid that has earned the opportunity to start a last 16 Champions League game.

Let's just remember,this kid is 3 yrs younger than Jesus and 5 younger than Sane,both who are still considered relative babies themselves.

His performance,and the fact he completed 89 mins,in a less than complimentary midfield.....can,IMO,only be a huge positive for both him and our club.

A big talent, as is Diaz. Nurtured into the first team gently, they could be world class IMO. That takes a combination of talent, hard work and luck that just sometimes doesn't happen. I'm sure we are all willing it to work out for them.

I'm gobsmacked that anyone would even begin to criticise a 17yr old kid that has earned the opportunity to start a last 16 Champions League game.

Let's just remember,this kid is 3 yrs younger than Jesus and 5 younger than Sane,both who are still considered relative babies themselves.

His performance,and the fact he completed 89 mins,in a less than complimentary midfield.....can,IMO,only be a huge positive for both him and our club.

He's just started for our first team do he should absolutely be open to criticism.

However, I'd agree with your intended sentiment that that criticism should be constructive rather than simply saying "not good enough".

In fact, Pep is very likely to be focusing on all of his constructive criticism of his performance before Foden's next game so he can improve those areas.

Exactly.....well said.

Just think of where he'll be even in a couple years' time at 19. 2 more seasons of learning from Pep, in and around the first team, physically maturing and learning from the likes of Kev, Merlin, Ilkay, etc. He's in good hands. He's FIVE AND A HALF years younger than Raheem. He's got plenty of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.