#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's 19 , and the pressure he is under to perform every time he starts a game is difficult at his age , was average today but he was no different from the other front six players , if Pep wants him ready for next season he has to start ahead of Merlin and Gundo in the Premier league , we are guaranteed top three and its now become the least important of the remaining competitions.

A bit dissapointing but understandable with lack of game time.
Today ?

I didn't see it that way at all, I thought he curbed his "bull in a china shop" way of playing when he comes on late, and actually relaxed into the game, and he played the percentages better, I actually thought he was better than David today. He got into some very good positions, he and Angelino worked well together with David and also Gundogan. He wasn't 90 miles an hour, but I see that as "improvement" as sometimes he just tries too much, and to be part of this team, he has to play for the team, and not try to impress too hard.

Like starting him against Spurs last season when we simply had to win, and he scored the winner, is that enough trust for you ?

Nah, not really.

Maybe the fact that he ran about like a headless chicken and then had a poor game against Leicester is what's scared Pep a bit. He's not been given much responsibility in important games since and that's a shame.

He's 19 , and the pressure he is under to perform every time he starts a game is difficult at his age , was average today but he was no different from the other front six players , if Pep wants him ready for next season he has to start ahead of Merlin and Gundo in the Premier league , we are guaranteed top three and its now become the least important of the remaining competitions.

Getting more league experience would help him in the short term and pay off big time for us in the not too distant future.

if Pep wants him ready for next season he has to start ahead of Merlin and Gundo in the Premier league
I'd disagree with that, he needs to play with them to learn, today he did exactly that. He doesn't need to look a world beater every time he plays, he needs to play with the best and learn, he's still only 19, and this is what so many fail to recognise. I'll bet Pep was happier with him today than in most of his other appearances, because he played "team" rather than "Phil", its all part of his learning process, as is occasionally playing out of position.

Pep and him had a few chats on the touchline today, and they weren't ranty or shouty chats, they were advice chats and change of position chats, he's being managed well imho.

Maybe the fact that he ran about like a headless chicken and then had a poor game against Leicester is what's scared Pep a bit. He's not been given much responsibility in important games since and that's a shame.
Is it ? Maybe the headless chicken is not what Pep wants or needs, and that's what has kept him out.

People need to remember that we see him for a few minutes every few games, Pep see's him in training day in, day out, so maybe he's still learning ? That's why I saw an improvement today, he held his position, and worked well with others, so better for the team overall, and Pep is rightly about the team and not individuals.

I'm fully expecting he'll start on Wednesday, we might be 3-1 up, but its still a very important game that needs to get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.