#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His main point was that there's no reason why Foden shouldn't start most of our Premier League games between now and the end of the season; the title has gone, David Silva is going, we are virtually guaranteed a top four finish.
And it's a point that makes perfect sense. It's time to find out whether Foden has really got what it takes at this level and we won't ever get a better opportunity to give him a sustained run of games than this.

Plus, we really need to get out of this mindset that young players can't possibly be trusted when it matters. No one's advocating playing 3 or 4 of them at the same time, but we should be able to drop one of them in without noticing any major drop off.

There was an article by Jonathan Northcroft in this week's Sunday Times making the point that Pep may be getting a reputation as a manager who blocks the progress of emerging talent.

It was obviously a bit of a dig at Pep, but his main point was that there's no reason why Foden shouldn't start most of our Premier League games between now and the end of the season; the title has gone, David Silva is going, we are virtually guaranteed a top four finish.

I can't see any reason (other than injury or suspension) why Foden doesn't start every Premier League game from now on in. If he doesn't he needs to consider a loan, this is a crucial period in his development and he needs to be playing. Pep needs to back up his glowing assessment of Foden with game time.
Northcroft is a proper disgrace. I want Phil to get more game time but I don’t want us to lose games and Pep must think that Silva contributes more to that end than Phil and he sees him every day

Northcroft is a proper disgrace. I want Phil to get more game time but I don’t want us to lose games and Pep must think that Silva contributes more to that end than Phil and he sees him every day

Foden will be 20 in May, the clock is ticking for him. His peers are playing week in week out and many will be going to the Euros with the senior England team this summer.

This is the perfect opportunity for Pep to play him; we are not catching Liverpool and finishing fifth is even less likely (there is no difference finishing 2nd/3rd/4th CL wise).

If Pep doesn't give him game time I think Foden needs to be looking elsewhere (loan or permanent move).

If Pep doesn't think Foden is good enough now then he needs to stop talking him up.

Northcroft may or may not be a disgrace, but his point is valid.

And we're still having the same arguments as when he was 17.

Who'd have thought that when Pep told everyone that he was now 100% a member of the first team squad, he'd only have started 5 league games in the following 3 season.
Started 5? Fucking hell that's damning.

Foden hasn't got nearly enough minutes under his belt, he should comfortably have double, Pep consistently over looks him, for what reason I don't know and can't fathom out, Silva has been a dream for City but his legs have gone, Gundo is a mystery that I can't solve, Fern has been pushed into the back four, Rodri not consistent enough and too slow, yet both Foden n Bernardo can't get a game in the middle with there energy, legs, ability n enthusiasm.
Foden will be looking at players of similar standing, Mount, Grealish, Madison who will more than likely be involved in the Euros and think it maybe time to move on, I hope he stays coz he potentially looks a star but I do think Pep hasn't helped his cause, he can keep saying he's the greatest talent he's ever seen, but his trust in him says different.

Foden will be 20 in May, the clock is ticking for him. His peers are playing week in week out and many will be going to the Euros with the senior England team this summer.

This is the perfect opportunity for Pep to play him; we are not catching Liverpool and finishing fifth is even less likely (there is no difference finishing 2nd/3rd/4th CL wise).

If Pep doesn't give him game time I think Foden needs to be looking elsewhere (loan or permanent move).

If Pep doesn't think Foden is good enough now then he needs to stop talking him up.

Northcroft may or may not be a disgrace, but his point is valid.

Foden needs a transfer for his own good. And it's a bloody shame. He is being held back by a manager who will not allow a homegrown, English young player a chance to shine.

We have been so far eclipsed this season by Liverpool that there is no serious reason not to start Foden and some other young lads in order to at least see if they are worth a place over the next few seasons.

Still, all is not lost. We let him leave, most probably for peanuts, circa 15-20m and then the next manager can buy him back for as much as 100-150m when he shows himself to be the superstar that we all believe he is capable of becoming.

Sancho - gone
Foden - needs to leave for his own good
Gracia - see above in another year or two
THB - Ditto
Doyle - see above.

A couple of great seasons are all well and good but if the price we pay for them is the decimation of our youth policy and the long term financial and reputational damage that would ensue from that then I'm afraid that is a price we should not be willing to pay.

At this point in time if it becomes a choice between Pep for another year or two and our youth development for the foreseeable future then we should be choosing the latter.

If he’s shown he’s worthy of a start during the previous weeks training then yes, it would be great to see him start and shine.
At the end of the day it's just football. Just cause he is not assertive in training, he shouldn't get a game?

This isnt excalibur man, it's about playing a god damn game of football. Especially when the league is over he should get time. All the players are worthy of game time, they dont show up to practice with the intent of not hopefully playing games.

Foden needs a transfer for his own good. And it's a bloody shame. He is being held back by a manager who will not allow a homegrown, English young player a chance to shine.

We have been so far eclipsed this season by Liverpool that there is no serious reason not to start Foden and some other young lads in order to at least see if they are worth a place over the next few seasons.

Still, all is not lost. We let him leave, most probably for peanuts, circa 15-20m and then the next manager can buy him back for as much as 100-150m when he shows himself to be the superstar that we all believe he is capable of becoming.

Sancho - gone
Foden - needs to leave for his own good
Gracia - see above in another year or two
THB - Ditto
Doyle - see above.

A couple of great seasons are all well and good but if the price we pay for them is the decimation of our youth policy and the long term financial and reputational damage that would ensue from that then I'm afraid that is a price we should not be willing to pay.

At this point in time if it becomes a choice between Pep for another year or two and our youth development for the foreseeable future then we should be choosing the latter.

I'm less pessimistic than you on this. I think Pep will give Foden significant game time between now and the end of the season. If he doesn't I'll be surprised and very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.