#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
love this kid, he's a baller, one of the most talented young players in the world, pep should play him more, no ifs and buts about it

I would argue that he is better than both David and Gundogan as a number 8 and Pep's reluctance to play him is, while Pep probably does trust those players more, doesn't mean it's necessarily best for the team.
He is not a direct replacement for either player, certainly not Gundogan.

The years of learning at the knee of Silva will have been invaluable to Foden, but he isn’t ever going to be a David Silva, either.

Rather, he is simply a Phil Foden, who only needs to learn the multiple roles he may need to play in the Pep system and continue to develop his all around game to become not only a regular City player, but also an England player for many years to come.

He needs to start a big game and be trusted against the Dippers , altough Merlin has come back in good form Foden looks a constant goal threat and covers more ground and has more energy , play 4-5-1 with the five being Mahrez,KDB,Rodri or Gundogan,Foden,Sterling

He is not a direct replacement for either player, certainly not Gundogan.

The years of learning at the knee of Silva will have been invaluable to Foden, but he isn’t ever going to be a David Silva, either.

Rather, he is simply a Phil Foden, who only needs to learn the multiple roles he may need to play in the Pep system and continue to develop his all around game to become not only a regular City player, but also an England player for many years to come.

I think he has all the abilities to do what Gundogan and Silva do, but not quite the temperament yet, he's still very puppy-like, bouncing all over the place, giving 110% at all times and flying into challenges.

I suspect as he gets older and has to play 90 minutes several times a week, he will learn to control games more, but hopefully still retain that KDB ability to accelerate the game.

I would argue that he is better than both David and Gundogan as a number 8 and Pep's reluctance to play him is, while Pep probably does trust those players more, doesn't mean it's necessarily best for the team.
Gundogan is steady, makes few mistakes but also takes less risks. Foden makes more mistakes because he is much more attacking and has much more pace. Same can be said of David who has less pace these days. But can still pull off a killer pass more readily than Gundog.

I think he has all the abilities to do what Gundogan and Silva do, but not quite the temperament yet, he's still very puppy-like, bouncing all over the place, giving 110% at all times and flying into challenges.

I suspect as he gets older and has to play 90 minutes several times a week, he will learn to control games more, but hopefully still retain that KDB ability to accelerate the game.

Agree with this. I think he'll end up as something of a hybrid of KDB/Silva, which is quite a ridiculous prospect tbh. He'll likely be a better dribbler and goalscorer than either of them too though.

Agree with this. I think he'll end up as something of a hybrid of KDB/Silva, which is quite a ridiculous prospect tbh. He'll likely be a better dribbler and goalscorer than either of them too though.

yup, likely to be our best player ever imo.

Foden is more of a De Bruyne kind of midfielder, like Bernardo is too. Consistent and direct attacking threat. You could stick him in the forward line if you needed to.

Silva, and Gundogan in a way are more of a controlling type of midfielder, although Gundogan seems to operate better deeper. These are two guys that tend to get central to all play and rack up exceedingly high passing numbers with ever presence and indirect distributions.

A midfield pairing of Bernardo/De Bruyne and Foden I suspect is about as likely in the near future as a pairing of Bernardo and De Bruyne. Not overly likely.

Silva always played in the left forward position in a front 3 for Spain and was more prolific than he has been for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.