#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m on the fence with that to be honest. When I watch the performances he is putting in, I can’t help but wonder what might have been, if he had played a lot more during the season.

we’ve seen many young English players over hyped and overplayed early on and burn out too fast. He’s being managed brilliantly

It's weird, I'm not sure myself either.

I think he is intelligent enough that he can simply play any attacking position. I like that he isnt fixed.
We compare him to Silva a lot - similar height, left foot, etc. - well Silva was a 'winger' for the first half of his career, albeit interpreted in his own magical way.

That's how I see Phil, interpreting roles to suit him. I've said this before, I think he could be the best player we have ever produced

we’ve seen many young English players over hyped and overplayed early on and burn out too fast. He’s being managed brilliantly

I agree with that approach if things are going well and it has served us well over the last couple of seasons. I just think this season, with both Silvas struggling, we could maybe have seen a bit more of Foden. Easy to say in hindsight though, I doubt many people could have predicted he would be playing at such a high level already.

I think you might be right but I would love to see him at 8 alongside KDB.
It's a nice idea but I've noticed Pep doesn't play Bernardo and KDB together much, and I've noticed it's because he doesn't like having two midfielders that like to attack more than control. That's why we almost always see either Silva or Gundogan play in the #8 role.

Foden has a lot of scope to develop yet and could be that guy to play alongside KDB, but atm I don't think his skillset is quite suited.

I wonder if he'll be molded into a false 9 at any point.

I think he makes KDB play better. He helps him out defensively with his high intensity and pressing, he makes fantastic runs off the ball to drag the defence all over and his pace gives us another player up on the counterattack.

Also when he plays on the right wing, he's so comfortable at 8 that KDB and he can swap to let KDB go out wide to cross without worrying about who's filling in the gaps in midfield if we lose the ball.

It's just a really perfect partnership at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.