#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is that once in a generation 20 goals a season midfielder.

Fears nothing and gets more confident and better with each and every game.

He's got the potential to do better than that. For he doesn't need to take pens and score deflected goals to get 25 goals a season.

His development has vindicated Pep and refuted all the moaners on here who wanted to loan him out and train with Championship players in order to develop further...

What a player. For all the comparisons to Silva, he would never have scored that goal last night because he would have looked to pass it rather than shoot with his right foot. Wrap the lad in cotton wool and save him for the FA Cup and CL. He can go and win them for us.

Yeah in the future I can see it, but right now the way he's being used is as a wide forward who comes inside, except when De Bruyne isn't on the pitch and that's when he goes into midfield. Or when we're comfortably ahead where I think having two direct midfelders is advantageous for counters.

I don't mind being wrong on this, but Pep saying that in time he'll learn to be a holding midfielder (as opposed to now) amongst other things I've seen just makes me believe in this idea.
Interesting comment from Pep re holding midfielder....i said 4 years ago he had the composure,balance,expert ball control and passing ability with both feet to play a deeper role in midfield..and had to put up with some smug remarks...glad Pep has belatedly vindicated my suggestion ;)

Of course i,d prefer him further forward ..tearing up defences and scoring goals,but watching footage from the reserves/youth team,there were examples of him collecting the ball deep in midfield ,just in front of the back four,and effortlessly starting attacking moves by shifting the ball quickly either side,a skill only a truly two footed player can practise..

Foden is simply one of those great,pure footballers,who just loves to play the game and would shine in virtually any posistion on the pitch.Regardless of all the arguements over his development, im just glad he is now in our team,is a blue,and on a personal note can help make up for the cruel loss ,through injury of Paul Lake a player i used to love watching football..a consumately gifted talent who turned out for City in every outfield posistion bar goal keeper...when we were mostly crap.
Foden has the benefit of being surrounded by top level talent....The next decade promises much for City and England.

Masterclass that the other day. Hope he stays on track but can't remember seeing many, or any players so young with the intelligence and understanding he has. Skill, quality and heart to boot. I'm a fan of gabriel jesus but he was awful the other day and his mistakes were primitive (offsides, picking wrong options) . You could see kev getting frustrated with him but Phil stepped up and smashed it. Gives us mobility we need as well when playing with either or both of gundo and rodri. We've waited a long time but I think he's the real deal

Those quotes from Pep still haven’t sunk in with me. This is a guy that’s coached the greatest player in the history of football, he’s also coached greats like Iniesta, Xavi, Pique, Puyol, Alves, Busquets, Lahm, Alaba, Thiago, De Bruyne, Silva, Bernardo, Sterling, you can go on and on. Yet he puts Foden in their company by saying, even in these early days, that he will for sure be one of the best he’s worked with. It feels like the watershed moment where Pep’s decided fuck it, the benefits of having Foden in the team far outweigh those from continuing to shield him.

His development has vindicated Pep and refuted all the moaners on here who wanted to loan him out and train with Championship players in order to develop further...
I don't think you can say that for certain. He may have been able to play like this a year ago, but we will never know as he was getting so little playing time. Sancho left and got more playing time and look what he achieved while Foden has been mostly on the bench. And yet most on here think Foden is a better player including myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.