#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foden is an amazing talent and he looks great both on the wings and in midfield but with Ferran Torres joining, I think we'll see a lot more of Foden in midfield with Kevin and Bernardo. Foden and Kevin play insanely well together.

They both have a picture of what they want to do and are in sync in that respect. You can also see Kevin wanting to carry on a move when he links up with Foden.

Did you know that Phil has 73 appearances and 15 goals and that at the same age, 9 seasons ago, KDB had 77 appearances and 9 goals?

Yet he’s not playing enough, we are told.

A great illustration of how appearances aren't really meaningful.

- When he turned 20 KDB had 77 appearances. 53 starts (30 league starts), 4561 mins (equiv 51 full games).
- When Foden turned 20 he had 63 appearances 26 starts (6 league starts), 2512 mins (equiv 28 full games.)
- Foden currently has 74 appearances 32 starts, 3100 mins.

Phil has clearly played much less than KDB had at the same age, it's not arguable. Whether you decide that's important or not is up to you.

Last edited:

- When he turned 20 KDB had 77 appearances. 53 starts (30 league starts), 4561 mins (equiv 51 full games).
- When Foden turned 20 he had 63 appearances 26 starts (6 league starts), 2512 mins (equiv 28 full games.)

Phil has clearly played much less than KDB had at the same age, it's not arguable. Whether you decide that's important or not is up to you.

While this is all true, i think Foden's in a solid place now at least. I would have preferred more, but the tide has seemingly turned so all is good...currently.

He's got a decent amount of experience overall at a good high level, and since his 20th birthday he's had another 6 starts in the league, which is encouraging. There's been a recent notable upturn, and I can't see that drastically changing next season. I can see maybe 15-20 starts in the league next season, with another 10/15 in other comps, which for his age is totally fine.

While this is all true, i think Foden's in a solid place now at least. I would have preferred more, but the tide has seemingly turned so all is good...currently.

He's got a decent amount of experience overall at a good high level, and since his 20th birthday he's had another 6 starts in the league, which is encouraging. There's been a recent notable upturn, and I can't see that drastically changing next season. I can see maybe 15-20 starts in the league next season, with another 10/15 in other comps, which for his age is totally fine.

Plus, dom's posted at least gets me a bit more excited about Phil's goal tally, if anything.

I want to see him get double figures next season.

The important thing for me is that it's pretty clear from the post restart games he's crossed over and become just another senior player at this point, who will play when on form/tactics dictate. Phil getting games isn't a special thing anymore, which is why I'm confident he's on the right track going into next season regardless of whatever the appearances/minutes show to this point.

KDB was probably more physically developed than Phil at the same age.

“Have you seen him, have you heard?
The way he plays there are no words
He’s our Foden, he’s our Phiiil

Have you seen how he can pass?
He’ll score the first, he’ll score the last
He’s our Foden, he’s our Phiiil”

Last edited by a moderator:

That’s the demoralising thing about stockpiling the likes of Mahrez - Foden could have been that supplementary player to our wide options of Sterling, Sane and Bernardo last season, as well as being used sporadically in the centre of the pitch; he would have got a lot more developmental minutes under his belt, and had the post-lockdown confidence/impact from the start of the season.

I’d be reluctant to sign Aouar for that reason; him and Torres would likely be ahead of Foden in the hierarchy, so when you factor in Gubdogan and Bernardo being used mainly as #8’s, he might find himself back to square one. Another midfield signing might be necessary, but it should be someone who can provide depth rather than leapfrog Phil - next season has to be about Foden’s evolution into a default first 11 player, and Silva’s departure should facilitate it.

Can see him scoring a great goal in the CL. His speed when dribbling is fantastic. He can be a great weapon, especially against tiring legs.

Need to find the best odds on him breaking the record for best goal scoring season and overall goals scored by a midfielder in the prem. Fingers crossed and injuries withstanding he will piss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.